PDA

View Full Version : Best treatment for possible aspiration pneumonia?

mcdougal7
10-14-2015, 12:26 PM
After having lost a baby to pneumonia, I would like the know the best treatment options for possible aspiration pneumonia. Can someone post the best antibiotic (in general) to use and what other meds may be helpful, and their dosage info per lb or grams? I currently have on hand amoxicillin, doxycycline, and Baytril for my pet rats. I have dosing charts for rats, but don't know the dosages for squirrels. I also saw where someone suggested Benadryl and would like the dosage and info on also using that if and when necessary for pneumonia. I just feel if I already have this info on hand, I'll be better prepared and can start treatment sooner rather than after it is too late. I chose to try the amoxicillin for the baby that died, but truly believe it was already too late by the time there was noticeable respiratory symptoms. After some reading I now believe the Baytril would have been better, and I didn't know at all that Benadryl could to used to help with pneumonia.

TubeDriver
10-14-2015, 01:25 PM
Baytril is the gold standard treatment for aspiration pneumonia. It is effective and also it starts having an effect very fast which is important since little ones can go downhill so quickly. There has been some discussion about adding Benadryl on top to help clear up the lungs and reduce inflammation, this might help but is an additional treatment without a long track record yet.

Finally, correct feeding technique will greatly reduce the chances of developing aspiration pneumonia although it is clear that many pinkies already have AP by the time they get to a rehabber due to the original finder not knowing the correct procedure.

After having lost a baby to pneumonia, I would like the know the best treatment options for possible aspiration pneumonia. Can someone post the best antibiotic (in general) to use and what other meds may be helpful, and their dosage info per lb or grams? I currently have on hand amoxicillin, doxycycline, and Baytril for my pet rats. I have dosing charts for rats, but don't know the dosages for squirrels. I also saw where someone suggested Benadryl and would like the dosage and info on also using that if and when necessary for pneumonia. I just feel if I already have this info on hand, I'll be better prepared and can start treatment sooner rather than after it is too late. I chose to try the amoxicillin for the baby that died, but truly believe it was already too late by the time there was noticeable respiratory symptoms. After some reading I now believe the Baytril would have been better, and I didn't know at all that Benadryl could to used to help with pneumonia.

Spanky
10-14-2015, 01:49 PM
There has been some discussion about adding Benadryl on top to help clear up the lungs and reduce inflammation, this might help but is an additional treatment without a long track record yet.

Finally, correct feeding technique will greatly reduce the chances of developing aspiration pneumonia although it is clear that many pinkies already have AP by the time they get to a rehabber due to the original finder not knowing the correct procedure.

:goodpost Great advice about adhering to the correct feeding technique!

TD, can you share more info re: discussion of adding Benadryl and when that might be indicated? Is there a thread?
I had 2 babies this year (not pinkies though) that arrived with AP and both quickly responded to the Baytril therapy (20 - 30 hours); my first 2 experiences with AP. With the initial one, when he arrived he was 90grams and I observed he was lethargic right away, but not clicking, and in the first wee hours of the morning feedings he was not retaining heat well. Then mid-morning day 2 the clicking presented and I started Baytril. I would have been hesitant to give him Benadryl given his lethargy and the chance the Benadryl would only worsen the lethargy (and maybe even mask his recovery by making him continue to appear lethargic?).

TubeDriver
10-14-2015, 02:13 PM
Hi Spanky,
I do not know if there is an official thread about this, just some behind the scenes discussion. I think CritterMom and HRT4SQRYL were talking about aspiration pnumonia treatments and pointed out the the fluoroquinolones (Baytril, Cipro etc) have very potent anti-inflammatory properties that might help explain why they start working so fast. The anti-inflammatory effect might relax the airways and help to clear out mucus and infection.

So I should have been more clear in my first post. Treating AP with Baytril alone has great results but sometimes people only have access to some other type of antibiotic (i.e. amoxicillin) that may not have the anti-inflammatory properties. In these cases, there was some discussion about adding Benadryl or something similar to reduce airway inflammation. So the Benadryl might help to reduce the symptoms while the AB treats the infection.

However, this was just a general discussion and there is no hard evidence or historical use to suggest that this is effective. And Benadryl could also have some side effects that may prove counter productive. Just something to consider, especially if the AB being used is not optimal. Other possible meds that could potentially be used include, Mucinex/Robitussin, Ibuprofen. But this is all just theoretical at this point.

:goodpost Great advice about adhering to the correct feeding technique!

TD, can you share more info re: discussion of adding Benadryl and when that might be indicated? Is there a thread?
I had 2 babies this year (not pinkies though) that arrived with AP and both quickly responded to the Baytril therapy (20 - 30 hours); my first 2 experiences with AP. With the initial one, when he arrived he was 90grams and I observed he was lethargic right away, but not clicking, and in the first wee hours of the morning feedings he was not retaining heat well. Then mid-morning day 2 the clicking presented and I started Baytril. I would have been hesitant to give him Benadryl given his lethargy and the chance the Benadryl would only worsen the lethargy (and maybe even mask his recovery by making him continue to appear lethargic?).

Spanky
10-14-2015, 03:33 PM
Thanks for the explanation, it is much appreciated. Sounds like the best course is as mcdougal7 (http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/member.php?21650-mcdougal7) suggests and have the optimal antibiotic on hand! I'll be interested in learning down the road if adding Benadryl to the sub-optimal antibiotics for AP proves to be more pro than con.
:thumbsup

mcdougal7
10-15-2015, 01:09 PM
Thanks for the explanation, it is much appreciated. Sounds like the best course is as mcdougal7 (http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/member.php?21650-mcdougal7) suggests and have the optimal antibiotic on hand! I'll be interested in learning down the road if adding Benadryl to the sub-optimal antibiotics for AP proves to be more pro than con.

Thanks to all. I hope to be better prepared in the future if the need for ABs arise.

TubeDriver
10-15-2015, 02:14 PM

Thanks to all. I hope to be better prepared in the future if the need for ABs arise.