PDA

View Full Version : am I harming squirrels by feeding them?

elliek1
10-06-2015, 08:37 PM
I have about 4 squirrels in my backyard (in Los Angeles) and I've started feeding them raw walnuts. My son is worried that they are getting used to me feeding them the nuts 1-2 times a day (when they peak at me through the window... they have me trained), and that they won't still know how to find their own food. Is he right? I'm not feeding them by hand... just throwing them out for them. thanks!!! this is a neat forum!

Spanky
10-06-2015, 08:55 PM
I have about 4 squirrels in my backyard (in Los Angeles) and I've started feeding them raw walnuts. My son is worried that they are getting used to me feeding them the nuts 1-2 times a day (when they peak at me through the window... they have me trained), and that they won't still know how to find their own food. Is he right? I'm not feeding them by hand... just throwing them out for them. thanks!!! this is a neat forum!

I am going to say NO! There is a danger in providing so much food that they completely stop foraging, but that does not seem to be the case here. Almonds are a slightly better choice, but as my grandfather always said, all things in moderation! Nothing wrong with giving these little ones an easy meal every so often... may I suggest you also start providing a fresh water supply? Change it daily... a great help to the little fuzz butts!

Mommaluvy
10-06-2015, 09:10 PM
I agree. Nothing wrong with them visiting you once a day for a nut or two. And fresh water is perfect.

elliek1
10-06-2015, 09:42 PM
thank you both -- I have lots of water around the yard...
big relief!

Spanky
10-06-2015, 10:14 PM
thank you both -- I have lots of water around the yard...
big relief!

I just want to clarify about the water. I live on a lake, so there is a huge amount of water available.. an unending supply a hundred feet away. I never really considered providing fresh clean water for the squirrels until I found TSB (and particularly, TubeDriver made this point for me). I was providing food for quite a while already... but, when I start putting out fresh water every day, it did not take long to realize the squirrels appreciated the clean, fresh water source at least as much as any food I was putting out. The water is a huge hit! And, if I have to confess, they even sometimes give me look of disgust if the water is not fresh.. because I slept in and did not change it out first thing in the morning! :embar Just sayin!

Rocky1
10-07-2015, 02:51 AM
You could make a schedule where you feed them every 3 days or so, so they have to forage the rest of the time. If you schedule a feeding for trash day, you might help keep them out of the garbage which I think would be very helpful. I can 3rd or 4th the fresh water idea. They will probably enjoy that even more than the food this time of year.

elliek1
10-07-2015, 07:12 PM
thanks again!!

Rocky1
10-08-2015, 01:07 AM
One thing to watch out for is if they start living at your feeding station or start stashing away the food you provide so they no longer forage other food. I am not 100% sure that would happen but have heard about it. In fact, I think I have one living near my feeding station and I've changed my feeding schedule accordingly, and the menu (to calcium rich foods with a near 2:1 calcium to phosphorus ratio instead of walnuts). There will be occasional walnuts for deliberate reasons like after a bad storm or if there's a lot of trash out, to keep squirrels safe, but not every day.