PDA

View Full Version : Lethargic 11 week old

jenforeman7
10-04-2015, 10:36 AM
We've had Pip for 5 weeks now (making him 11 weeks old) and aside from some minor probs in the first week or so, he's been great. He's on Esbilac (40mls/day), eats 2 HHBs every day (I watch him eat), and is rounded out with Oxbow Regal Rat (introduced about 6 days ago...he nibbles at them), broccoli, cauliflower, romaine, arugula, iceberg, cabbage, mushroom (which he liked at first, but not now), an apple piece/day, an almond/day. I put fresh branches in his cage daily (red/Japanese/norwood maples, dogwood, rose of sharon, walnut) along with things I have growing in the yard that are on the Henry's safe tree list (walnuts, maple seeds, magnolia seeds). He's had access to all of these things since he was 8 weeks old.

On Thursday, we brought in our potted ficus tree which Pip likes to climb. He has also dug in the pot, which of course is full of potting soil (added spring of 2014, if that matters as far as what chemicals might be in it still). My last squirrel did the same thing and was fine, so I didn't really think twice about letting Pip root around.

Now you have his history! Here's today's concern: for the first morning since we got him, he didn't come out to get his formula or block. In the mornings, he is bouncing off the cage, so I give him an HHB while I make the human kids' breakfast and lunches, then I feed him his Esbilac. He gets that around 8am and 4pm. He has fresh veggies every day. Today, I had to call him out of his "hut" to give him his block which he ate and then went back in his hut. Weird. I sat down in front of his cage and called him out again; he came out, stretched and yawned, sat in my lap for a minute and went back to his hut. He jumped from my lap onto the cage door and ran back inside, so I could tell that everything was working right...he's just really tired.

Possibilities? The ficus dirt? He did not eat at any of the ficus leaves, but I did see him "mouth" a branch. Too much playtime yesterday (he had 2 good play sessions)? Weaning from formula instantly??? Maybe he's cold? (He was warm when I held him but his feet were cold. He has several pieces of fleece that he wads up in his hut.) I'm worried because he's just not himself. :(

island rehabber
10-04-2015, 10:41 AM
Has it been as dark, rainy, and windy near you as it has been in NYC for the past few days? Yesterday, even my crazy man Alfreddo who never stops moving took an entire day-long nap....I actually got worried about him because he is never still, normally. It could be the weather....the low pressure from big storms affects them.

jenforeman7
10-04-2015, 11:30 AM
Yes, the weather has been miserable. Cold, rainy, and windy since Thursday. I was wondering about that being the reason...he's just not himself today. I'm glad to hear that he has company, though. I hope your guy peps up soon, too!

SammysMom
10-04-2015, 02:17 PM
Just in case, I would not let him have any access to any houseplants in future. Hope the little guy feels better soon. A little sunshine goes a long way for me to perk me up. :grouphug

Nancy in New York
10-04-2015, 03:39 PM
I find it a coincident that he was playing in it yesterday,
and today is not himself. :thinking :dono
I would try to push hydration.

Just found this on the internet.

The rubber tree (Ficus elastica) is a houseplant that can also be grown as a greenhouse plant or outdoors in warm climates. Although its toxicity is relatively mild and will not cause death in children, it can give them a serious allergic reaction. If you wish to grow rubber tree and you have have small children, take precautions.

I wouldn't trust the pottying soil either. :nono
http://www.asbestos.net/exposure/products/general/potting-mixtures/#top

jenforeman7
10-04-2015, 06:55 PM
Thanks, all. He's a bit more perky tonight and just ate some Esbilac. He had an apple piece and HHB earlier, too. I put a couple of sock buddies around his hut, under some fleece just in case he was chilly (it's been so abruptly cold here!) & I'll keep him away from the ficus. Hopefully some sunshine this week will help, too!

He's not going to like being denied a "real tree..." ;)

Rocky1
10-05-2015, 03:01 AM
...I put a couple of sock buddies around his hut, under some fleece just in case he was chilly (it's been so abruptly cold here!)...

What I think would be ideal is a heating pad on LOW underneath half of his cage or box with maybe some fleece over that, if possible?