PDA

View Full Version : green stool

buck308
10-01-2015, 04:45 PM
My 9 week old squirrel has started to eat more rodent blocks, but she's still not off the esbilac and drinks a bit more then a tablespoon every 5-6 hrs. Today her poop was dark green as it came out, is there something wrong? Thanks

stepnstone
10-01-2015, 06:41 PM
My 9 week old squirrel has started to eat more rodent blocks, but she's still not off the esbilac and drinks a bit more then a tablespoon every 5-6 hrs. Today her poop was dark green as it came out, is there something wrong? Thanks
Green is not something you'd want to see and could single a few
things that would not be good....
What is the consistency of her poo, are you talking diarrhea?

buck308
10-01-2015, 11:30 PM
Sticky solid dark green

stepnstone
10-01-2015, 11:54 PM
Is there any odor with it?
It may be something simple like her changing in diet, I've had this
happen before so I wouldn't panic just yet. I'd offer some hydration
and see if that won't help. You wouldn't want to see it stay around long,
get loose or become diarrhea so keep a good eye out.

Green poo can be contributed to giardia and/or coccidia,
It's not all that unusual to see it just "show up."
Metronidazole is the most common med for giardia.
SMZ-TMP is used for coccidia.

buck308
10-02-2015, 12:02 AM
Sticky solid, dark green and just smells like poop.. no funky odour or signs of diarrhea. She started fully eating blocks like last weekend or so. Ive also been letting her out of the cage whenever im home and able to supervise her, sometimes outside in the backyard, but i keep an eye on her and prevent her from biting at everything... anyway i took this pic of her poop today compared to yesterdays

stepnstone
10-02-2015, 12:09 AM
Sticky solid, dark green and just smells like poop.. no funky odour or signs of diarrhea. She started fully eating blocks like last weekend or so. Ive also been letting her out of the cage whenever im home and able to supervise her, sometimes outside in the backyard, but i keep an eye on her and prevent her from biting at everything... anyway i took this pic of her poop today compared to yesterdays

Yeah..... you just might want to start her on ab's if that florescent green is today's compared to yesterdays.
That's not looking good.....

Mommaluvy
10-02-2015, 08:14 AM
I agree that you should start trying to get meds for this kid...

But.. I would wait and see if it repeats. I have had mine do this with a diet change and in a day or two it goes away. If it repeats and if it gets worse use the meds.

I would use today to observe and acquire meds JIC.

I am curious as to what brand or kind of block your little one is eating? And any chance she ate some thing outside or in your house ?

I would also caution you strongly about taking her LOOSE outside at this age . We have seen them get away by accident.

Mommaluvy
10-02-2015, 08:22 AM
Read back (skimmed) your previous posts ...

I would seriously get the meds. When she was sick at 7 weeks she had sticky soft poo then too. Maybe some coccidiosis or giardiasis brewing there.

buck308
10-02-2015, 08:32 AM
Kaytee brand "healthy support diet" for mouse rat and hamster. I first noticed her start picking them up and stashing them last week, but she didnt eat much of them.. and early this week is when i noticedv that she was actually eating them but still not everything. She'll eat a decent portion and stash thevrest. Esbilac is still her main choice. Ive been watching her carefully out of her cage, anytime she picks something up im always right there to stop it from going in her mouth so i dont think it was that, but don't know for sure. Ill pick up some meds today