PDA

View Full Version : Introducing Arthur the Orphan

Nayadarling
09-30-2015, 12:30 PM
Hey guys! I am so excited to be here! I'm Renee, from Michigan. I've been the go-to for wounded and abandoned animals since I was around 10 years old- I have no idea why as I have no formal education or anything. In any case, I have a love for little rodents. I used to run a Guinea Pig rescue and rehab, I've had rats, bunnies, dogs, gerbils, etc etc and so on.

What brought me here is Arthur - so named due to Sword in the Stone (don't judge lol). In July I got a phone call from an old neighbor who was cutting firewood that had been transported hours and hours away. Arthur was alone (we scoured the pile) and had not yet opened his eyes up. I took him home in my shirt pocket for warmth and honestly didn't expect him to live through the night. I didn't know the first thing about squirrels, I had taken in 6 babies when I was younger but surrendered them to a wonderful rehab lady. Well, I sat up all night long and gave warm pedialyte and looked up how to help him void - he opened his eyes that very night.

Since then, I've learned a lot. Arthur and I have seen a few sleepless nights together, lots and lots of feeding and lots of cuddles. He was completely alone, so I think I overcompensated by spending too much hands on time with him, and now he's completely fearless when it comes to people and dogs- that was my mistake so now I consider him (happily) my responsibility. He's an Eastern Gray, and a complete doll unless he has a special treat - then he growls and slaps which is just about 20 levels of adorable. I've got him in a double decker critter nation unit for now, he's still pretty small and I plan to upgrade when he gets bigger. I joined up here because I am the only one I know with a squirrel for one, and two I know I have so much left to learn to give Arthur the best of chances.

Bravo
09-30-2015, 02:14 PM
Welcome to TSB :Welcome You're in good company here. Great photos... The expression on your face with Arthur is priceless. :grin3

Nayadarling
09-30-2015, 02:38 PM
Haha, thanks! I can't keep him off my head - terrified he will pee, lol.

lennysmom
09-30-2015, 03:05 PM
Hi Nayadarling, welcome to TSB! :wave123 What a lucky little guy to have found his way to you. :) He's a cutie for sure!:Love_Icon You will find a great wealth of information here on the board to help you care for this little guy. Be sure to check out the nutrition section and especially the chart for a healthy diet for squirrels if you haven't already. Here is the link :
http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?44440-Healthy-Diet-for-Pet-Squirrels

Also, make sure you give your little guy things to chew on as he needs a way to keep his teeth ground down. Clean sticks, pet store chew toys for hamsters or rats, and even deer antlers work great!

Good luck with Author. Feel free to ask us any questions as I'm sure you will have quite a few!

Nayadarling
09-30-2015, 03:30 PM
Hi Nayadarling, welcome to TSB! :wave123 What a lucky little guy to have found his way to you. :) He's a cutie for sure!:Love_Icon You will find a great wealth of information here on the board to help you care for this little guy. Be sure to check out the nutrition section and especially the chart for a healthy diet for squirrels if you haven't already. Here is the link :
http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?44440-Healthy-Diet-for-Pet-Squirrels

Also, make sure you give your little guy things to chew on as he needs a way to keep his teeth ground down. Clean sticks, pet store chew toys for hamsters or rats, and even deer antlers work great!

Good luck with Author. Feel free to ask us any questions as I'm sure you will have quite a few!

Absolutely, and thank you!! I've been studying the nutrition which to me is the biggest unsecurity I have at the moment - you're avolautely spot on there. I've got some sticks from our apple trees in there that he loves, and some bird perches for him to climb all over. I need to make a nesting box, right now he sleeps In some stuffing and a few of my old t-shirts.

California Squirrel Lover
09-30-2015, 04:22 PM
Oh man, he is CUTE!! :grin3

Chickenlegs
09-30-2015, 10:45 PM
What a SWEETHEART! Sure glad you're here so we can watch him grow up. Maaaaaaaaany pictures pleeeeeeeze. :Welcome:Welcome glad you're here!