PDA

View Full Version : One Eye Blind?

JaneTheKidd
09-16-2015, 10:25 PM
My squirrel is blind in one eye, and I believe it may be caused by head trauma from before I found her. She's still very healthy, active, and moving around a lot. Her blind eye opens more than her healthy eye. It actually seem bigger in itself. Any way to help this or is she permanently blind? :sadness

SammysMom
09-16-2015, 10:39 PM
There are a few things that can cause this. Trauma is definitely one of those things. Sometimes with time the eye can heal, but even a squirrel with one working eye can be viable for release. Healing prayers for your little one...:grouphug

JaneTheKidd
09-16-2015, 10:55 PM
There are a few things that can cause this. Trauma is definitely one of those things. Sometimes with time the eye can heal, but even a squirrel with one working eye can be viable for release. Healing prayers for your little one...:grouphug

When I found her there was no dray near by so we're thinking a hawk had her, and dropped her but didn't reclaim her because of my cat (who was standing guard over her when I found her. We think our cat thought she was another kitten because her cry sounded similar.)

I just assume she has some sort of trauma because she's healthy for any other aspect.

BeckyKing
09-23-2015, 07:23 PM
I currently have three squirrels that are still nursing. All three from different people in our area. (different litters) The oldest I believe is blind in his right eye. The pupil is completely white, and he doesn't seem to react to any stimuli on that side. I was diabetic for thirty years and went blind due to diabetic retinopathy. I regained my sight after a vitrectomy in my left left eye. The retinal reattachment surgery on my right eye failed and I never regained my sight in that one. Being blind in one eye has left me with terrible depth perception. I struggle to see how close or how far away things actually are. Will this little baby boy ever be able to safely jump from one tree to the next? From my own personal experience I would think not. I usually rehab and release, but we have been planning to turn the spare room into his own little personal forest. Any advise or input would be helpful and much appreciated.

Diggie's Friend
10-06-2017, 11:32 PM
Just thought to ask how is it going for your squirrel with the impaired eye?