PDA

View Full Version : Laser Treatment in Spinal Trauma

LaurelLynn
09-08-2015, 11:11 PM
I'm excited to try laser therapy on a new intake that has paralysis of the back end likely from a fall out of a tree. I've never tried laser treatment and would love to hear from anyone with experience using it or just general discussion on if it could be helpful

This new arrival, Alvin, was found dragging himself at the base of a tree today. He's either a small adult or mostly grown juvenile (either way he hates me right now)

No visible fractures or open injuries and BEST OF ALL he reacted to deep pain test with a muscle twitch in thigh, so there's a chance for recovery

I started him on prednisone and tramadol and my vet wants to try laser therapy every day for the next week or two

Thoughts?

mom2twiggy
09-19-2015, 11:28 AM
I work at a vet clinic & we just acquired a therapy laser. I also have a sweet little boy with spine damage. So far he's doing better than expected but drags one of his back legs. If he does ok through the weekend we plan to start laser therapy Monday. He also has no visible fractures, X- rays have us divided but also responds to deep pain on affected side. Also doing steroid & pain meds. So I don't have any results to tell you about yet but I'm also excited about the possibilities!!!

Any update on your guy???

LaurelLynn
09-19-2015, 03:58 PM
I work at a vet clinic & we just acquired a therapy laser. I also have a sweet little boy with spine damage. So far he's doing better than expected but drags one of his back legs. If he does ok through the weekend we plan to start laser therapy Monday. He also has no visible fractures, X- rays have us divided but also responds to deep pain on affected side. Also doing steroid & pain meds. So I don't have any results to tell you about yet but I'm also excited about the possibilities!!!

Any update on your guy???

He's responding really really well so far! Gained some movement and definitely is healing great for spinal trauma

However he's pretty stressed being in care and a wild juvenile so I'm transferring him to a member on here with a touch with the older wilds. I think he will be able to form at least enough of a relationship to be able to do physical therapy without causing stress and he's afraid of me still. I want him to have the best chance!

mom2twiggy
09-19-2015, 04:28 PM
Glad to hear the report on the therapy. That's encouraging!! It's always so hard to know what is the right thing for these guys. It sounds like you've got a really good plan in place to give him the best shot. Bless you both!! :blowkiss