PDA

View Full Version : Found Baby Deer - Help!

squarletsmom
05-28-2007, 06:53 PM
I know someone who found a baby deer yesterday.
It was in the middle of a creek/river being attacked by a MINK.
The mink was trying to "drown it and drag it down the river."
They are giving it goat's milk. It's about 3 days old maybe.
I told them I would try to find out some info to help.
There is no known rehabber nearby.
ANY ADVICE??

NaturesGift
05-28-2007, 06:58 PM
um I am not a proffessional but I think if it was being attacked by a mink it may need to be cared for by a vet (attack wounds) I am sure someone will be posting shortly more helpful info. :D Is it a girl or a boy? I raised a Fawn last year that was attacked by wild dogs (the mother was killed by them)

webld4u2
05-28-2007, 07:02 PM
where at in VA are you??? I may be able to help.

squarletsmom
05-28-2007, 07:10 PM
southwestern virginia

thundersquirrel
05-28-2007, 07:13 PM
hold off on the goat's milk! i'm no professional either, but it's better that the baby go hungry for a day or so than be fed the wrong food! i doubt that goat's milk is the correct thing for a fawn.

they need to find a wildlife rehabilitator. it's one thing to raise a squirrel, but a fawn is completely different. if they can't find a rehabber, they need to find a vet. they could at least call a rehabber for help, one that at least lives in virginia.

many rehabbers are willing to drive a long way to pick up an animal. they need professional, or at least highly experienced, advice.

http://www.tc.umn.edu/~devo0028/contactN.htm#va

squarletsmom
05-28-2007, 07:19 PM
I am trying to talk them into contacting a rehabber.
It is going to the bathroom on its own (that's all I know).

Buddy'sMom
05-28-2007, 07:28 PM
thundersquirrel/webld4u2 - does a 3 day old fawn need supplemental heat?

TexanSquirrel
05-28-2007, 07:29 PM
Hang in there, baby deer!

squirrelfriend
05-28-2007, 08:18 PM
Wow, that is one feisty mink! Deer are so much bigger than them even a baby one. Speaking of deer. I am so excited. I just saw my first one upclose in the wild just now. And I had my camera with me!!!!!!!!! what are the odds!
Back to the subject. Contact a rehabber. as someone else on here suggested it might need medical help and possible shots for the mink attack. Glad that it was able to be saved.:thumbsup

Mars
05-28-2007, 08:30 PM
Yes to heat. Yes to goats milk. YES - please Contact a rehabber fast. Important - LIMIT contact to absolutely as few people as possible. Trust me there is nothing more dangerous than a "tame" deer. I can tell you one story that cost the person their life while handling a "tame deer" they had had for serveral years.

Buddy'sMom
05-28-2007, 08:45 PM
Squarletsmom -- WHILE they (or you) are calling the rehabbers on that list:

Supplemental heat could be a heating pad underneath the box or cage or whatever they have it in. Set on low. NOT directly under it so it doesn't get too hot -- and so it couldn't chew the cord.

If no heating pad available: Soda or water bottles with hot/warm water in, wrapped in a towel or tshirt. Must be refilled frequently as they cool. For squirrels, an idea is "rice buddies" -- which I guess could work for a fawn if there were several of them -- fill a sock 2/3 with rice and knot the end. Microwave 30 sec or so till warm (not too hot -- if it overheats, let it cool off first). They can be reheated as often as needed.

Please urge them to start calling rehabbers NOW. TONITE. Thanks for coming to get some help for the fawn! :grouphug

rehabmom
05-28-2007, 09:07 PM
check for injuries and check with a vet if needed.
feeding the baby deer goats milk is good that is what i feed most all my rescuers and they all have servied so far .i feed the deer i had on it also and he did real good.. goats milk is the most natural of milks i have found.
rehabmom

pamela lee
05-28-2007, 09:41 PM
What about an electric blanket for heat? That is what I had to use for Peanut until I could find an old school heating pad(every store in my town only had the new ones with auto shut offs).

webld4u2
05-28-2007, 10:04 PM
Yes, heat is needed.... I suppose a electric blanket would do, but make sure it is folded, a room for her to move off. (and on the lowest setting) Do you have a heat lamp??? And what is she being kept in? anyway...how far are you from Lake Gaston??

Apple Corps
05-28-2007, 10:26 PM
squarletsmom - would you believe that I started my career in SW Virginia - Narrow / Pearisburg / Pembroke - about 70 miles west of Roanoke. Lots of wildlife. How is the fawn doing???

thundersquirrel
05-28-2007, 10:46 PM
i'd just like to say sorry if we're coming off a bit strong, please don't take it the wrong way, we're just trying to help! i hope the baby's ok, and i hope you find a rehabber to take it soon.

Buddy'sMom
05-29-2007, 08:36 AM
How is the fawn doing this morning? :grouphug Hope all is well.

Any luck locating a local rehabber?

squarletsmom
05-29-2007, 06:37 PM
Hello everyone and thanks for your advice.
I haven't heard anything about the deer today. I called several rehabbers last night. Heard a lot of concern about not taking the animal over the state line. I live near TN / VA state line and could only find a rehabber in TN at first.
Last that I heard about the deer is that it liked to lay behind the couch... so it is obviously not being delt with by rehabber standards.
I know they have an electric blanket for it. Also, that they may realize that they can't handle it. I have tried to convince them to just call a rehabber.
I don't have much influence over these people - but I am still trying.
I will update after I get more information. I wouldn't doubt that they think they could raise the deer as a pet... so bring on the stories about why that is not a good idea so I can share them.
Thanks again to everyone and I assure you I will push them to do the right thing as much as I can.:rotfl

Buddy'sMom
05-29-2007, 07:05 PM
Thanks for the update, squarletsmom! I hope they begin to realize that the best thing for the deer is someone who knows how to care for it.

"Behind the couch" undoubtedly is not the recommended approach, but in this case it might not be a bad thing -- the deer no doubt feels safer back there, which will keep it calmer, always a good thing. And it might keep the people at more of a distance than they otherwise might be :D . Umm, have they made sure there are no wires or other stuff back there?

You already have done quite a bit and it's great that you are still trying to convince them. :thankyou I know (from our experience with Buddy) that in the beginning, it seems sort of easy and you are thinking that this is cool and it's something you can do. But it gets harder and harder and it's when they are a little bigger that you realize it's pretty complicated to raise a wild animal to BE a wild animal --- and also realize that you don't have a clue. It's sort of one thing (and bad enough) to have a half-wild squirrel (like we do). But it would be quite tragic with a deer that tries to be wild but doesn't know how to be. And giving up your home (? have they thought of what they will do with it as it grows?) and life to take care of a deer full time has got to be even harder than with a squirrel! It seems inevitable that they will change their minds along the way -- and then the deer is totally screwed. If they have come to love the deer, they should think of its future.

:grouphug

thundersquirrel
05-29-2007, 07:16 PM
there was a fawn brought to a veterinary clinic not long ago. the head vet got attatched to it, decided to tether it to a post and make it a little attraction for the clinic.

as soon as our organization found out, we had the DNR seize it. the poor thing was malnourished and weak from lack of exercise.

regardless of how well these people take care of it, they need to understand that if ANY licensed rehabber or state official finds out about it, they will face hefty fines and the deer will probably be euthanized if it has become too tame.

i know you may be friends with these people, but are there any state protection organizations that will take this animal and place it in proper care? that's what the DNR does for us- we follow the rules, they help us with "hostage" situations.

squarletsmom
05-31-2007, 06:46 PM
I saw the deer today. The rednecks are very attached to it and insist that as long as the fence is short enough that the deer could jump out if it wanted to - that it can be kept - legally.
Well, I tried everything in my power to convince them that it was not good for them or the deer. Ended in an heated discussion and I left upset.
If I say too much - they will "report me for having a squirrel."

It is a sad situation. I left them the numbers of rehabbers nearby. The deer seems healthy and friendly. I am sure that it is SCREWED as far as being released - if it even makes it. I am not happy about the situation, but they are definitely not listening to me anymore.
Please pray for the deer and for the rednecks.
Thanks.

ravenlaws32
05-31-2007, 11:08 PM
seems like an tip to the wildlife division is in order to save the deer. have someone outside the situation contact authorities. like have someone stop by those rednecks house and ask for directions and oh look a deer :D . hell give me there address and i would report them . this type of thing will come to no good end.

eric

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo
06-01-2007, 05:30 AM
That is too bad for the little deer. I know how you feel not wanting to turn them in because something bad will happen to you. I have felt like turning the wildlife center where I volunteer at in for only being there to feed the animals from 9AM-5PM and then no one even stops by for a night feeding or anything, they just leave them go until the next morning. This includes 2 week old squirrels and baby birds that only have stub feathers. Their sucess rate is very low with both (no wonder why) but they don't do anything about it. I can't turn them in though, because I currently have 3 squirrels, 3 bunnies, and 2 opossums that I have from them that I am caring for under their permit. If I turn them in and they know it was me (it wouldn't take them long to figure out who it was even if I did it annonymously) they would ask for all my animals back and tell me not to volunteer anymore. Then my creatures would probably die in their care and I wouldn't be able to get any more in the future. It is a tough decision, but you have to think about what is best for everyone. If I turned them in they probably wouldn't get into much trouble, but it would be horrible for me and my creatures. In your case, they would take the fawn and hopefully it would get help, but your squirrel may get taken away and euthanized. It is a tough call.

squarletsmom
06-01-2007, 05:46 PM
Yes, it is a bad situation all around. I would love to give a tip to someone without them knowing it was me.
But the sad truth is that I am already at risk by just sharing my opinion with them. If someone else reported them - they would think it was me.
I just have to pray and know that God will take care of it.
I'll keep everyone updated - if there is anything new.:thankyou

squarletsmom
06-08-2007, 04:02 PM
NOW THEY HAVE TWO DEER!
The baby boy deer (deer #1) is doing well. Eats a lot and licks the leg of the lady who feeds it.
Deer #2 is a girl... much smaller and more timid. She was found on the side of the road and had an injured leg. Leg is reportedly better.
"She will kick the fire out of you" they told me.

Also, they have been living in the building - but now they have build the deer a pin.
That should work out just wonderful..... don't you all think????? :thumbsup
Pray, pray, pray for the baby deer!:grouphug
:thankyou