PDA

View Full Version : Capstar dosing

SammysMom
08-18-2015, 06:54 PM
I know that I have said a million times that you can't overdose Capstar. Well, I have a baby on the way who has a lot of fly eggs on him, but seemingly no maggots yet. The finder is removing as many as she can and then bringing her to me (thank GOD!). I am sure that giving a dose of Capstar is the best thing to do, but want to just double-check. I have a 11.4mg tablet that I crushed. I will add 3cc water and then dose with .3cc unless others really feel this is a harmful amount. This is a baby who is likely about 3 weeks old. I will then keep the diluted Capstar for tomorrow when there may be maggots hatching. I will use it as a flush plus give another dose orally.
Does this make sense? I am a bit sleep deprived and just want someone else to check up on me. Thank-you!:grin3

TubeDriver
08-18-2015, 07:15 PM
That single dose would provide about 1mg of Capstar. The minimum dose for Capstar is 1mg/kg. You baby probably weighs less than 100g so this is 10x the minimum dose. But as you said, Capstar is EXTREMLY safe in terms of dosing strength. You could probably give half of what you planned (0.16cc instead of the 0.3cc dose) and that would be fine. You can repeat the dose in 24 hours just to be sure.

I know that I have said a million times that you can't overdose Capstar. Well, I have a baby on the way who has a lot of fly eggs on him, but seemingly no maggots yet. The finder is removing as many as she can and then bringing her to me (thank GOD!). I am sure that giving a dose of Capstar is the best thing to do, but want to just double-check. I have a 11.4mg tablet that I crushed. I will add 3cc water and then dose with .3cc unless others really feel this is a harmful amount. This is a baby who is likely about 3 weeks old. I will then keep the diluted Capstar for tomorrow when there may be maggots hatching. I will use it as a flush plus give another dose orally.
Does this make sense? I am a bit sleep deprived and just want someone else to check up on me. Thank-you!:grin3

SammysMom
08-18-2015, 07:31 PM
:thankyouTD!