PDA

View Full Version : IN NEED OF GOOD HOME

DianeHurlburt
08-11-2015, 09:53 AM
I have a Flyer and Red, both approx. 12-14 weeks old. Found the flyer in our driveway and the red a week later in our garage (or should I say they found me). Both were approx. 4-6 weeks old when I found them. Both are doing absolutely great.... play together in and out of the cage and sleep in the same next box together. However, am willing to give them up free to a "good" home as I am retired, away from home alot, caring for my mom and dad, etc. Love these kids, but can't give them the time/attention they want from me. Looking forward to hearing from someone who would be interested. Will post pics if you would like to see them. Thanks for your assistance.
Moderation Tools(0)
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 1 of 1

Spanky
08-11-2015, 10:36 AM
Hi Diane -

How about releasing them to be free in the trees living the squirrely life they were born to live? Or is there health issues that make this not possible?

:thankyou for caring for these babies and :Welcome to TSB!

DianeHurlburt
08-11-2015, 12:07 PM
Hi Diane -

How about releasing them to be free in the trees living the squirrely life they were born to live? Or is there health issues that make this not possible?

:thankyou for caring for these babies and :Welcome to TSB!

The only health related issue that these two have is too much human contact and love. They are not just caged day and night.... cleaned a room out and they have a ball chasing each other, and climbing up, down, and around me.
We tried to release "Keeper" the flyer before the Red found us. Had a hunting cam on the cage in the tree for 2 days. Keeper did not leave the cage once.
I know that the saying "better in tree one day, than forever in a cage" is what some people go by, but seeing these two would make you think otherwise.

Spanky
08-11-2015, 12:32 PM
We tried to release "Keeper" the flyer before the Red found us. Had a hunting cam on the cage in the tree for 2 days. Keeper did not leave the cage once.

Flyers need to be released near a colony of other flyers or they will not survive. Is there a known colony in the area you attempted the release? Also, the process you describe is what we call a "hard release" and we usually reserve that for only wild squirrels that have been treated for illness or injury.

For babies especially, the release is a "soft one". There are variations but basically along the lines of 10 days (or more) outdoors during the day (or night in the case of a flyer... I am just learning about flyers though), then a few weeks 24 / 7 outdoors. Only then is the cage opened and they are offered and opportunity to leave.. and also come back. Most continue to return to the "release cage" for days or even weeks before finding their own place in the word.

HRT4SQRLS
08-11-2015, 01:37 PM
:wave123 Diane
:Welcome to TheSquirrelBoard

Thanks for rescuing these babies. I have the funniest picture in my head of a flyer and a red interacting.
Talk about the energizer bunny. :hyper:squirrel3 It must be hysterical. :grin2

DianeHurlburt
08-11-2015, 06:41 PM
:wave123 Diane
:Welcome to TheSquirrelBoard

Thanks for rescuing these babies. I have the funniest picture in my head of a flyer and a red interacting.
Talk about the energizer bunny. :hyper:squirrel3 It must be hysterical. :grin2

Energizer bunny doesn't even say enough !! ha ha.... They are adorable. Thank you.