PDA

View Full Version : Taking Test Thursday - Any pointers?

riefderrico
06-08-2015, 07:35 PM
Greetings everyone! Application has been approved and I am scheduled to take my test this Thursday. Just wondering if anyone has any pointers to passing the first go round? Not sure if it is open book or not (I was a dumby and didn't ask), nor do I have any idea how many questions (again thought it would be listed somewhere in the packet). Just been studying the past couple weeks when I can and hoping for the best :eek Its gonna be a long drive and I'd really only like to make it once so if anyone out there can point me in the right direction on what to make sure I know it would be appreciated!

island rehabber
06-08-2015, 09:40 PM
What state is this for?

riefderrico
06-08-2015, 10:07 PM
It will be for Georgia. I have the recommended books as well as study guide. I have successfully taken many state exams (some open books, some not). And was mainly wondering how in-depth they get with the questions. Do I need to know formulas, dosing amounts for specific species, etc... or just where to find the info?

island rehabber
06-08-2015, 10:10 PM
Ah...can't help you with firsthand experience, then. I know with the NY test it was 100 multiple choice questions, and nothing on the test was NOT in the study materials they gave you. It was all there. I made flashcards, believe it or not, and just memorized the answers.

riefderrico
06-09-2015, 01:48 PM
I kinda figured it'd be that way, but have taken two other state tests here3 in other states for other professional lic. and the ones here both consisted of "opinion" questions, where other state were straight forward text questions. Also was kinda curious if they were going to ask cage size questions or dosing questions where I needed to memorize those charts. I'm gonna bring my books just in case it is open book or if I can at leas bring in the quick reference book I have. I feel prepared but you never know. Worse case, I don't pass first go-round, but I'll know exactly what to study for the next time :great

Wish me luck!

UDoWhat
06-09-2015, 03:34 PM
I think I would just know everything in the study guide. If there is med dosing or figuring KCals for different species in the study guide then you can expect to see them on the test too… I think anyway. Maryland does not have a state test. We have to take the National Wildlife Rehabilitators Association (NWRA) test or the International Wildlife Rehabilitators Council (IWRC) test. I took the IWRC test. It was 3 days long and included labs, med dosing, figuring Kcals, gavage on a live animal, bandaging a live animal, restraint, subq (not on a live animal), etc.. The last day included a test with essay, short answer, and multiple choice questions. I would just be ready for whatever is in the study guide. Don't worry you will do fine!! :thumbsup

riefderrico
06-11-2015, 01:24 PM
Udo - wow, that one is extensive! I guess I'm an odd one. I don't want to open a facility or be a vet for wildlife. Just want to do what I have always done and if a little one comes across my path help it along without getting in trouble. That one would be way too much for me. Kudos for your dedication :clap

Delo729
06-11-2015, 01:35 PM
Good luck today:squirrel4

UDoWhat
06-11-2015, 01:45 PM
Good luck. :w00t Relax... just tell them what you know. You will be fine.

PS... I had to take that test. Maryland had no other choice at the time either the NWRA test or the IWRC test. Lately, MD is allowing the shorter version of the NWRA test...still not so easy. It is all day labs and the test at the end.

riefderrico
06-11-2015, 02:02 PM
Well I'm back, and the whole experience was not a pleasant one. First it is out in the middle of nowhere and you have to go through downtown to get there - traffic was miserable. When you do arrive and enter the lobby you are greeted by a wall full of heads and fish. I felt like Ace Ventura and had to bite my lip from exclaiming, "What a lovely room of death you have here!". Next the only other test takers were exterminators - about 10-12 of them (half had tried before and their test was only 1/2 the questions mine was). And to top everything the majority of the test covered birds - primarily raptors. I felt very out numbered and def. in the minority. :eek

I needed to get an 80 and I missed it by 4pts. Already scheduled to take again next month. In my opinion the study guide was not helpful at all. For future reference the test was 100 questions of which the majority was aviary - and primarily raptors. There were a few dosage questions (which I did ace :grin3) and a couple on cage sizes (also aced). The rest were what you would expect. There were a few that were tricky and had 2 "good" answers but that is typical of tests. All questions were text book questions - I did not see an opinion question on my exam. You are allowed to ask what ever questions to the administrator you want to before the test - but no information is given freely. Example - yes you can bring a calculator, but nothing in the study guide, or testing pkt or administrator was said prior to. I was told after the test for next time. :shakehead After a passed exam there is a facility inspection. I was under the impression that the facilities have to be separate from your living space but she was making it sound like it had to be a different building/property. I am waiting for the Lt. to call me back and answer my questions to see where to go from here.

Honestly the whole thing was quite disheartening - it is apparent why they have a shortage of qualified rehabbers here - shooting and trapping animals is more acceptable than saving them :sadness

UDoWhat
06-11-2015, 02:51 PM
One really should be able to rely on the study guide to “guide” their study for the test. Hence the name study guide. Do not be discouraged. Take that test again and get what you want... a safe place for your animals so legally they cannot be taken away from you. Maybe you could PM any of our GA licensed members and ask about what a “facility” means in the state of GA. In MD it means a spare room in your house that you can close the door to, basically. I am hoping that is what it means in GA too. OR like you said…”it is apparent why they have a shortage…”
Boy, oh boy, do I know what you mean about raptors!! In MD mammal people are looked at like second class rehabbers. That is why I am on the Board of Directors of the MD Wildlife Rehabilitators Assoc.. I am only one of 2 people on that board who do mammals. You guessed it… all 5 of the others are raptor people or at the very least avian rehabbers. I felt like the mammal people needed a bigger voice.
So next time study more of the raptor and avian stuff. 4 points worth of raptor questions is all you need. I am so very happy you are already scheduled to take the test next month. Do not be disheartened… it is this way in MD too. Much easier to get a license to kill them than it is to take care of them. I just do not get it!! :dono So on to the next time!!:w00t

Milo's Mom
06-11-2015, 03:29 PM
I have a dear friend in GA and she is licensed, somewhat newly, so her test and inspection is fresh in her mind. Just now I sent her an email asking if she would have some time to chat with you. She's probably buried in babies so I might not hear from her right away. As soon as I do I'll send you a PM.

Missed by 4 points...that's pretty darn good for a first try! Keep your head up!!!!:clap

riefderrico
06-12-2015, 07:11 PM
Thanks guys!

Honestly the whole thing just pissed me off yesterday and no the guy never called me back even after I called and left a 2nd message. Its obvious mammals are not on the top priority list unless you are hunting them. :shakehead

I am regrouping and going to push forward (now I've been challenged and I'm an Aries - I must win :grin3) I'm going to approach this from a new angle and redirect my purpose to one that is more acceptable to them and can possibly make a difference with the next generation - education. I'll put together a program promoting water conservation, permaculture and the benefits of living in harmony with wild life. We already have started water conservation/purification and edible landscape within our business and neighborhood - adding wild life education is a natural addition. Who knows - I may be getting put on the path to create a wonderful sanctuary and rehab facility, working with critters and giving tours to children - how awesome would that be! I think I would like that..... :peace

UDoWhat
06-12-2015, 07:22 PM
Wonderful regrouping effort. :w00t I know how crazy these DNR regulations can be. You just have to find a way to out smart them. Sounds like you are working on that. Keep us in the loop. :grin3