PDA

View Full Version : my baby dont like to eat much

sckwittid
05-20-2015, 01:31 AM
I have a baby squirrel for about 2weeks now at first he ate alot but lately he only eats a little bit at a time he seems to be doing good but first time raising one just a little worried ibdont want to lose him any info will be great thanks

stepnstone
05-20-2015, 01:42 AM
I have a baby squirrel for about 2weeks now at first he ate alot but lately he only eats a little bit at a time he seems to be doing good but first time raising one just a little worried ibdont want to lose him any info will be great thanks

How old is this baby and what are you feeding?

sckwittid
05-20-2015, 01:47 AM
age not real sure has bottom teeth light fur all over eyes closed feeding puppy formula

stepnstone
05-20-2015, 01:51 AM
age not real sure has bottom teeth light fur all over eyes closed feeding puppy formula

Is it the esbilac with pre and pro biotics?
Are you feeding with syringe or what?
Do you know weight?
Can you post a picture?

sckwittid
05-20-2015, 01:58 AM
Yes that's it not sure how much he weighs ism trying to get a pic now

sckwittid
05-20-2015, 02:09 AM
here is a pic

stepnstone
05-20-2015, 02:09 AM
Without a weight you can't possibly know how much to be feeding him or if he's eating enough per feeding or not.
Squirrels are fed according to body weight and should be eating between 5-7 %
This is a grey your speaking of right?

sckwittid
05-20-2015, 02:13 AM
I am not sure what type he is I would say from the feel of his weight he is eating about 5% of food

stepnstone
05-20-2015, 02:15 AM
here is a pic

Wow, not much more the 3 weeks I'm guessing. Eyes open at 5 weeks.
Is he hydrated? If you pull the skin up between his shoulders how does it go down? Immediately, slow, simi or what?
Again, very important, what are you feeding him formula with?
Are you sure of the sex?

sckwittid
05-20-2015, 02:17 AM
Skin goes down flat with a syringe with nipple I got from my vet I can tell the sex

stepnstone
05-20-2015, 02:19 AM
I am not sure what type he is I would say from the feel of his weight he is eating about 5% of food
Can't go by that, having a scale that weighs in grams is what is needed when raising these littles. If he were to need any meds they can only be dosed by weight. I can't express enough how important having a scale to weigh is.

stepnstone
05-20-2015, 02:23 AM
Skin goes down flat with a syringe with nipple I got from my vet I can tell the sex

Hey, not trying to insult your intelligence! Little girl babies genital do have a protrusion to them and you'd be surprised how many times a new member thought they had a boy and didn't because of that.

sckwittid
05-20-2015, 02:23 AM
Very understandable that's why I got on the site to get info thanks I will get a scale I owned adults before but never had a baby hey I am here for all the help I can get so I appreciate you telling me things

stepnstone
05-20-2015, 02:38 AM
Our forums are full of information on just about every subject one can think about but if you have questions never hold back from asking regardless. We have a large member base of experienced rehabbers, if one don't know the answer another will.
What are your (future) plans for the little, are you raising to release?

Annabelle's papa
05-20-2015, 02:46 AM
Very understandable that's why I got on the site to get info thanks I will get a scale I owned adults before but never had a baby hey I am here for all the help I can get so I appreciate you telling me things

:)Hi sckwittid, and :Welcome to The Squirrel Board, you are receiving the best available advice there is for your Lil' One.:thumbsup

I just want to post a few images of a 15.00 gram scale you could purchase from the house ware dept of Walmart, also if you don't have a small syringe you can get a 1.25 cc syringe in a package of infant ibuprofen approx 4.00. A 1 cc syringe is preferred for a baby this small, however this syringe will suffice until you can get a few more from your pharmacy, and both the scale and the infant ibuprofen package can be purchased right now if you have a 24 hour Walmart in your area.

Also is an image of the ingredient label from the Esbilac you should be using, it shows Dried Whey Protein as the 'third' ingredient.

island rehabber
05-20-2015, 06:15 AM
sckwittid, welcome to TSB. You are getting great advice already, but can you do us a favor please? Hold the baby up to your ear and listen for any sound of clicking, or popping, or wheezing on each inhale and exhale. Sometimes when a baby this young loses its appetite it is because of aspiration pneumonia, and if that is the case we want to get the baby on antibiotics ASAP.

I have to go feed my gang of babies but please let us know if you hear anything in his breathing, ok? We're here to help!