PDA

View Full Version : My babies don't want to be weaned!

BabyBella
05-20-2007, 09:24 AM
Hello All,

I have 3 pre-weaned juveniles intended for release. They are about 12 weeks old and they have been at the last weaning stage (1 feeding a day) for almost 2 weeks. They are not refusing the milk even though I have watered it down to 1/3 strength. They are eating solids well. What should I do? Is it ok to just stop giving them the milk altogether? Thanks so much!

LynninIN
05-20-2007, 09:30 AM
Sammy did the same thing until 14 weeks then one day he just stopped. This question has been asked a few times on the board and the answer seems to be that they will stop when they are ready. If you want to find the other threads, try the search.

Buddy'sMom
05-20-2007, 10:16 AM
From watching our wild-Mom and her baby, Mom seems to be trying to get Sweet Pea to stop nursing (about 13-14 weeks), tho Sweet Pea still really, really wants it, lol.

The rehabbers here have different approaches, with some weaning entirely during (or even before? :thinking ) pre-release and some continuing one feeding until release. The advantages of continuing are to be confident they are getting all the nutrients (Buddy was a terrible eater and we actually pushed formula as long as we could) and also to check on them once a day. The disadvantages -- well, you already know why you'd like to stop :D . If you feel comfortable that they are eating the right stuff in solids, you could probably go either way.

TexanSquirrel
05-20-2007, 06:17 PM
Awww...poor little Sweet Pea!

Gabe
05-21-2007, 06:33 AM
You can continue to water the formula down until you are feeding them only water, and they will continue to take it. That approach just has never worked for me.

I would stop the middle feeding for 4-5 days, then stop the morning feeding and continue with the evening feeding for as long as they want it.