PDA

View Full Version : Hair still thinning after Revolution and using dip bath from bath from the vet.

Roxi's mom
05-05-2015, 10:36 PM
I have been fighting this hair problem for about 3 months or so. I'm starting to think maybe I ts an allergY to the HHBs. It didn't start until I started her on these blocks. Also she is scratching her ears alot. I don't know what ear mites look like bot her ears look pretty clean. I might say the right ear has a clear yellow crystal type substance, a small amount, in the ear. Is this what mites are? She has seen the vet and I have used Revolution on her, did a skin scraping that was negative and then about a week and a half ago used Lime plus dip that I got from the vet. How long does it take after using that for hair regrowth? She is a picky eater and doesn't care for greens much but she does get her HHBS twice a day, sometimes 3 a day. I give her 2 hazel nuts in the morning and only then will she go and eat some of her greens. She is 7 years old. She has gone from 1.86 lbs this year to 1.62 lbs so far. The vet wants her at 1.2 lbs. I am going to try to attach some pics but if anyone knows if this could be an allergy to HHBS that would resolve alot. 257184257183257182]

joyceb11
05-06-2015, 07:06 AM
I have had trouble with hair loss in the past with my George he did have mites and I tried revolution and his hair grew back quickly, I saw results probably by the end of the first week. Then it happened again, he started to lose hair again, Critters Mom gave me some good information about the lighting he needs to be exposed to. I know there is some information on this site some where, but here is what she told me, and the lighting did take care of the hair loss.

Hope this helps you

I asked because my 5+ y/o gray boy has always had some funky fur issues. What helped him considerably (he eats Henry's, has been treated multiple times with Revolution, and nothing comes in that hasn't been SCRUBBED) is adding UV light - reptile lights. Anything indoors gets very little UV from the sun - window glass and screen are both designed to cut as much UV as possible. His cage takes up about half of a good sized guest room - it is a big enclosure - and I use 4 foot fluorescent lights to illuminate it - and 2 of them are UV lights. He will make a conscious choice to lay under those lights frequently, and his fur issues are so much better now. They make them as little compact fluorescents, too - I am sure the long strip lights give you more bang for your buck though - but of course you have to buy fixtures for them (2 light 4 foot shop lights with T8 connectors to match the lamps are about $20).

http://www.petmountain.com/category/...uvb-bulbs.html

Roxi's mom
05-07-2015, 04:11 PM
I have actually been talking to my husband about that. I use natural daylight light light bulbs in my office because I type and it's better to see and I thought that was a good light but I did recently tell him I thought she needed uv light. Thanks so much. :serene

Steve
05-09-2015, 07:52 AM
I have actually been talking to my husband about that. I use natural daylight light light bulbs in my office because I type and it's better to see and I thought that was a good light but I did recently tell him I thought she needed uv light. Thanks so much. :serene

I have found in my short time dealing with these little critters that the lack of sunlight is a major factor in hair loss\thinning. If indoors they must have the ability to obtain natural light through a window and a lot of it.Keeping in mind they do need a shaded area to return to to prevent overheating. After they are moved outside The best method is to use a piece of plexi glass over half of the top of their cage. while still making sure it is water tight...:grin3

SugarHill
05-09-2015, 08:28 AM
I had a gray who was doing this; you may want to read some of the info at squirrelnutrition.com
I bought the ionic silver and used a Q-tip to apply it to my boy's bare patches. It really seemed to help. His fur grew back in right away.

joyceb11
05-09-2015, 08:41 AM

Don't thank me thank critters mom she's the one that told me, just passing on the knowledge

Roxi's mom
05-13-2015, 12:29 AM
I got the uvb light. It's a Fluker's mini sun dome and a 26 watt reptile uvb 100 tropical bulb. I have it hanging over her favorite hangout spot about two feet above her. I have no idea how close to have it to her, but so far she has not relaxed there for very long. It's only been one day, but I was wondering if she is avoiding that spot because of the light overhead. Could it be too warm. It doesn't feel like it actually gets hot. Any suggestions would be welcome. :Welcome :dance

Roxi's mom
05-13-2015, 12:34 AM
Thank you sugar Hill I will look that up and maybe trying get a bottle of it, anything to see if it will work! :dono:Squirrel:Squirrel

joyceb11
05-15-2015, 07:39 AM
I got the uvb light. It's a Fluker's mini sun dome and a 26 watt reptile uvb 100 tropical bulb. I have it hanging over her favorite hangout spot about two feet above her. I have no idea how close to have it to her, but so far she has not relaxed there for very long. It's only been one day, but I was wondering if she is avoiding that spot because of the light overhead. Could it be too warm. It doesn't feel like it actually gets hot. Any suggestions would be welcome. :Welcome :dance

I think you need to have the lamp closer then you have it, the distance I have is 10" away from where my George's lounging area is, and the lamp really doesn't give off much heat. I had my lamp about 2 feet away and I thought that was good enough, but when I moved it closer what a big difference! but just remember it will take a week or so before you see a change.

Roxi's mom
05-20-2015, 10:19 PM
Thank you Joyceb11. I did move it closer to her. She stretches her legs way out behind her under the light it seems to get the uvb rays when she is lying under it. I have not noticed any hair growth yet though. She has spent anywhere from an hour to two hours a day under that light for about five days. It was for three days, then off for the weekend and then three days straight again. She has gotten used to it and she seems to enjoy it. I am going to try to order some of that ionic silver that was mentioned if I can find it too. Her missing hair is scary because it has grown to be so much. I just pray that it starts to grow back soon. Here are the latest pics of her sunning herself. At least I hope they are not repeats. :grin3

joyceb11
05-22-2015, 05:51 PM
Thank you Joyceb11. I did move it closer to her. She stretches her legs way out behind her under the light it seems to get the uvb rays when she is lying under it. I have not noticed any hair growth yet though. She has spent anywhere from an hour to two hours a day under that light for about five days. It was for three days, then off for the weekend and then three days straight again. She has gotten used to it and she seems to enjoy it. I am going to try to order some of that ionic silver that was mentioned if I can find it too. Her missing hair is scary because it has grown to be so much. I just pray that it starts to grow back soon. Here are the latest pics of her sunning herself. At least I hope they are not repeats. :grin3

The lights that I use are four foot long lights and I have 2-4 foot long bulbs in them and I keep the light on all day long and I turn it off at night time before my George goes to bed, the light that you use in the pictures looks like it might be too small, I have George's light right above his cage where he lounges. It's worth it to invest the money and to the right kind of lights, go to the website and check out the lights it's well worth it. it took awhile for George's hair to grow back in but now he's beautiful. Just as long as your baby eating a healthy diet you shouldn't have to worry just make sure you check out the lights first before you go and order any of that ionic silver you were talking about.

Roxi's mom
05-30-2015, 06:22 PM
Well the hair thinning seems to have gotten worse. I have attached more pictures. I have had her under the light more and moved it down closer to her but I don't see an improvement. I did get the ionic silver in the mail but the raw coconut oil is backordered. The two things together I have read on an animal site called Squirrel Nutrition.com says this is great for her hair condition which is most likely a skin fungus. I do have some organic coconut oil and I was wondering if anyone knew if this was the same as raw? Also, my girl is not going to like me getting her wet with this stuff, does anyone know how often and how much to apply both of these two things to her skin would be, and would anyone be able to help me out with something to help calm her during these applications :grin2258560258561258562

Roxi's mom
05-31-2015, 01:31 PM
Oh, joyceb11 I'm sorry, it's seems I didn't really address your thread about the ionic silver very well. I have tried the uvb light but not as big as yours but it's 28 watts and a 100 uvb bulb. I have been using it for about two weeks I guess but not all day long. I can't have her out of her cage all day so she gets about 2-3 hours of sunbathing and then she tends to go in and out of her nest the rest of day until I can let her out again. :sadness I do have the light on the cage but I'm afraid she doesn't really benefit from it very much being that she is in her nest. Also recently I had to spray all four of her feet because the exterminator had just been to the house and I completely had a brain seizure and let her out of her cage before the proper time and she has been freaked out with me ever since.:klunk She kinda whine/cries when I pick her up and hold her and panics to get away and runs to her cage and to her nest to hide. :peek1. I won't be able to use the ionic silver or raw coconut oil on her until I can get her trust again and I am not even sure what happened. I have had her for 7 years and this is a first. Any advice?

joyceb11
06-01-2015, 05:27 AM
I actually think others need to chime in here and give some advice, I do know that critters mom helped me out a lot when I had hair loss problems with my George the lighting she told me to get did wonders with hair loss on my George. The Squirrel nutrition web site might have some good advice, but in my own opinion, I stick to TSB for most of the advice to help with my George.

Below are the lights bulbs that I have bought, they are a little pricey but well worth it

Zoo Med Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB Fluorescent Bulb: : 48" Bulb - 36 Watt T8
Sku: ZM34348
Model#: OS-48
URL: https://www.petmountain.com/show_product/507370
Unit Price: $24.29
Quantity: 2
Price: $48.58
In Stock

TubeDriver
06-01-2015, 11:48 AM
Just something to consider. Lennysmom was having some issues with hair loss. She tried changing the hand soap she used and the hair loss areas starting filling in!

So examine and change the soap you are using to washing the fleece and anything else in the cage, it might be worth a shot.

Mommaluvy
06-01-2015, 11:57 AM
I have not read the whole thread, but I had a cat that had a reaction to revolution . She lost a huge amount of hair. It was not suppose to be used on a dilapidated cat. But the vet used it anyway.

I am not saying that the rev caused the problem. But it could have caused a side effect of further hair loss. Took a month or more to grow back. I used coconut oil on it .

lovesmice
06-01-2015, 02:22 PM
The main reasons for hair loss/excessive scratching with the rodents I have had include parasites, food/bedding allergy, fungal/viral/bacterial infection, disease (ex: Endocrine and Metabolic), barbering and OCD. My exotic vet no longer does a skin scraping test as a matter of routine when there is a hair loss and/or excessive scratching issue because it is not completely reliable and it is not uncommon to get a false negative. Also, please keep in mind not all parasites are visible to the human eye, and if all of the eggs were not destroyed it is possible for a re-infestation. For instance, I learned after one of my mice had mites that not only is it crucial to scrub the cage and all accessories following the application of the Revolution (in her case), but any wood products should be either tossed or sanitized (if possible) as nits/eggs may be laid inside. I realize the use of wood is extensive with squirrels so hopefully others will offer tips on how best to do this. I stress I only "feed" the local squirrels, not rehab them, but there are many health problems both squirrels and mice/rats can be affected by in which you may find the following information of use:

http://www.rmca.org/Articles/bugs.htm

http://ratguide.com/health/integumentary_skin/

http://www.ratfanclub.org/skin.html

Again, although the above information is from reputable rat/mouse sites, please discuss any DXs/treatment recommendations with those whom have squirrel health care experience. You have already received some excellent advice from some of them. I hope your squirrel is fully recovered very soon.

joyceb11
06-01-2015, 03:21 PM
My squirrel George had a severe case of mites at one point, I used revolution on him and his hair did grow back but it was still missing in a couple of spots so I treated him again with revolution after probably 60 days and at that point he had a bad reaction and I actually had to take him to the vet so he could get a steroid shot and subq fluids. Well long story short I will not use revolution on him again he had hair loss again and at that point is when I changed his lighting to the lighting that I mentioned in the previous post, he has a couple of small spots he's missing here and I can't seem to get that to grow back but my point is that I would not use medication on him again I would try different methods to try to find out what's going on

island rehabber
06-01-2015, 03:27 PM
Just something to consider. Lennysmom was having some issues with hair loss. She tried changing the hand soap she used and the hair loss areas starting filling in!

...on her squirrel, not on lennysmom....I've met her; she has a lovely head of hair :rofl4 :poke

Seriously, the Revoulution could indeed be the culprit because I had a cat that was very allergic to it and developed an enormous bald spot on his shoulders that lasted for months.

TubeDriver
06-01-2015, 03:37 PM
:grin3 Yes, it was her squirrel Angel that had some hair loss, not Lennysmom herself! :tilt

...on her squirrel, not on lennysmom....I've met her; she has a lovely head of hair :rofl4 :poke

Seriously, the Revoulution could indeed be the culprit because I had a cat that was very allergic to it and developed an enormous bald spot on his shoulders that lasted for months.

Roxi's mom
06-01-2015, 10:44 PM
Thank you to all of you for the helpful information. I have tried the revolution twice and I have tried switching the laundry soap to the hypoallergenic soap when I wash all of her stuff, which I may add has really helped her allergic eye problem that I have mentioned before but she does still have a runny eye, just not red and irritated like it was. I do have raw coconut oil on backorder so I can't wait until that comes in but I don't know I'm going to get it on her because at the moment she seems scared to death of me and I don't know why. I must've really scared her when I had to wash all four of her feet one afternoon last week when I had let her run around right after the exterminator left not thinking about what I was doing and that was probably an hour after he left. The company said it would take at least her drinking a large capful to do her any harm. I had noticed her on the floor by a desk and she had gotten spooked by something under it and that is when I realized what I had done and went and picked her up, but I have been handeling her for seven years. I am just having to spend more time going slow and baby talking my way back to her. I don't know how long this will take but in the meantime I do need to put the coconut oil on at least so if anyone knows what I can use to calm her down and how I can get some I would appreciate some advice on that.

Roxi's mom
06-02-2015, 10:15 AM
I was just reading the link provided by lovesmice about rat allergies and I have been thinking all along since I started Roxi on the HHBs that this hair thinning started, so I am wondering if I should take her oof of them? I just got two bags in the mail too. :tap. There could be an ingredient in them that she is allergic too. I mean this skin thing happened at the same time I started her on the blocks. What would I switch her too. She hates rat block.:klunk

Mommaluvy
06-02-2015, 11:46 AM
Does she still take formula? If not ... There is formula in the HHB. I am wondering if it's a lactose issue.

Maybe check and see what's in zupreem ?

I honestly have no idea . Just thinking out loud.

Roxi's mom
06-02-2015, 11:21 PM
No she is not on formula. I will have to see if I can google the supreme ingredients and compare them with the bags I have here. Thank you so much for the information. It would be so nice if this is the answer. :dance

Roxi's mom
07-14-2015, 11:54 PM
Update on hair condition. I took her off the HHBs because the hair loss was becoming really alarming even with the UVB light and the coconut oil. She has been on a diet as well and has lost 5 oz. which looks to like 50 human pounds to me because she has a lot of extra flabby skin hanging from her stomach and chest. I tried to make her a sgirdle today out of a soccer sock with holes cut out for her back legs, which worked if she would have kept it on. :grin3. I think I need some elastic around the top piece that goes around her upper arms. It's just that her belly drags the ground a bit and swings between her legs when she walks, and it actually feels cold at times. Plus it spreads out underneath her when she sits up to eat like a cushion she is sitting on. Does anyone have any experience making sgirdles? Also, can anyone tell me by looking at some pics if her hair looks like it is growing back in? It did get worse but I think it might be getting better. I will try to attach some good pics.

lennysmom
07-15-2015, 09:50 AM
Ok, I don't know if this has been addressed yet, but I'm just throwing it out there - what is her diet like? I know you took her off HHB's, thinking it may have caused an allegry. And now you are feeding the Zupreem biscuits, correct? What else is in her daily diet? Sometimes hair loss can be caused by a nutrition issue. I know for awhile my Angel (the one who had the hair loss issue, not me:grin) wasn't eating his healthy food like he should have been for awhile, just shredding it into very fine pieces - he actually started having some mild MBD symptoms because of it, so I am just asking. The issue could also be another food allergy issue besides the HHBs. Angel's hair issue actually turned out to be caused by the hand soap I was washing my hands with.

It's hard to tell from the pictures whether or not her hair is growing back in, but if the hair is starting to grow back, the skin area should appear a little darker in color.

Roxi's mom
07-15-2015, 04:26 PM
I tried to look up the zupreem but I couldn't find any for squirrels just small animals and I don't know where to get it in the biscuits, any suggestions, so I increased her nuts to 4-5 and I'm still giving her the green vegetables which she doesn't care for much, which I had mentioned in the earlier thread. She likes the vegetables in the third list more but she's even getting tired of those. I Have started giving her the HHBs here and there again because of her refusing the veggies and losing weight too fast. She has been losing weight rather quickly it seems like. She was 1.66 lbs May 11th and now 1.36 lbs on the 13th. She started at 1.86 lbs at the beginning of the year. I think she can and will starve herself before she will eat her greens. I forget the site I went to about the zupreem but it was for zoo animals. Where does everyone else get theirs?

Roxi's mom
07-15-2015, 04:56 PM
Ding ding ding ding! :idea It just finally occurred to me that even though I have washed all of her towels and bedding in hypoallergenic soap, I have not washed my things that way! What an ignoramus!:tap. I wear typing gloves all day long and hold her while wearing them and hold her against my shirts! It's no wonder her poor fur is falling out! : :klunk. I pray this is the solution.:idea:wash

lovesmice
07-25-2015, 08:49 AM
I thought I would post the links I PMd you here so the squirrel pros can let you know if this is what they use when they get the ZuPreem. It does specify squirrels at the first site, but maybe there are other formulas they can recommend. Also, it may be worth starting a new thread in the Squirrel Nutrition category about this food. It might be getting missed here.

http://www.squirrelstore.com/product/300

http://www.zupreem.com/products/primate-diet-dry

I am sorry Roxi has lost weight. Sorry, too, I do not know what to suggest to put some weight back on. I do not dare tell you to use what I would with the mice or rats because the nutritional needs are so different and I might end up doing more harm than good.