PDA

View Full Version : HOUSTON, HELP NEEDED My cat attacked a squirrel

04-19-2015, 08:56 PM
My cat got hold of a baby squirell and trashed him around a bit before we could get him to stop. My dad saw all this and I only found out recently. I brought him in and put him in a box but don't know what to do. I have no squirrel experience and wanna help the poor thing. He got rained on a bit so I dried him off and have been holding him to my chest for warmth. He is currently curled up and breathing with his eyes shut. I was kicked out by my dad so I'm on the patio and can't take him inside.

Nancy in New York
04-19-2015, 08:59 PM
You mean that you can't go inside with the squirrel?
How are you going to care for him?
What part of Texas do you live in?
This little one needs antibiotics, cat bites are deadly to squirrels.

04-19-2015, 09:00 PM
I took some pictures for reference sorry they're external but im on my phone. http://imgur.com/qYZElyM,Cblk2tb,hdFIxFF,W4dD2CG

04-19-2015, 09:02 PM
You mean that you can't go inside with the squirrel?
How are you going to care for him?
What part of Texas do you live in?
This little one needs antibiotics, cat bites are deadly to squirrels.

Correct I can't take him inside. My dad is against me helping out at all. I plan on taking him to the wildlife rescue tomorrow. They're not open at the moment. I live in Houston.

Nancy in New York
04-19-2015, 09:03 PM
I took some pictures for reference sorry they're external but im on my phone. http://imgur.com/qYZElyM,Cblk2tb,hdFIxFF,W4dD2CG

Thank you so much for helping.
You haven't given him anything by mouth correct?
If we find someone to help you, am I correct in assuming that
your dad won't drive to get this squirrel help?

Nancy in New York
04-19-2015, 09:04 PM
Correct I can't take him inside. My dad is against me helping out at all. I plan on taking him to the wildlife rescue tomorrow. They're not open at the moment. I live in Houston.

Do you drive?

04-19-2015, 09:05 PM
Thank you so much for helping.
You haven't given him anything by mouth correct?
If we find someone to help you, am I correct in assuming that
your dad won't drive to get this squirrel help?

Correct and I do drive.

Nancy in New York
04-19-2015, 09:07 PM
Correct and I do drive.

I am going to pm you the number of a member in Houston.
Can you call them?

04-19-2015, 09:07 PM
I am going to pm you the number of a member in Houston.
Can you call them?

Yes thank you

04-19-2015, 09:10 PM
Please let me know once it's been sent as I tend not to get notifications on my phone.

Nancy in New York
04-19-2015, 09:13 PM
Please let me know once it's been sent as I tend not to get notifications on my phone.

Oh I sent it.

04-19-2015, 09:19 PM
Oh I sent it.

Got it thank you.

Mommaluvy
04-19-2015, 09:21 PM
And thank YOU for trying to help this baby.

Nancy in New York
04-19-2015, 09:31 PM
OK the contact I gave her said they were reluctant because they are rehabbing a blue jay,
but if they had to they take it they wouldtomorrow.
I told this member to tell them I will overnight Baytril/Cipro as this is life threatening.
At the earliest they would get the drug Tuesday. :shakehead
Problem is the dad will not let the squirrel come in the house.
This girl is trying her darndest for this little squirrel, any suggestions?

Would it be a better option for her to take this squirrel tomorrow to a wild life place?

island rehabber
04-19-2015, 09:35 PM
Would it be a better option for her to take this squirrel tomorrow to a wild life place?

Yes. I just found info on this place and to the best of my knowledge we have not gotten any BAD reports on them: Texas Wildlife Rehabilitation Center (TWRC) -
http://www.twrcwildlifecenter.org/

Annabelle's papa
04-19-2015, 09:36 PM
OK the contact I gave her said they were reluctant because they are rehabbing a blue jay,
but if they had to they take it they wouldtomorrow.
I told this member to tell them I will overnight Baytril/Cipro as this is life threatening.
At the earliest they would get the drug Tuesday. :shakehad
Problem is the dad will not let the squirrel come in the house.
This girl is trying her darndest for this little squirrel, any suggestions?

:)Are there any exterior buildings or sheds in the yard, possibly with an electrical outlet for a heating pad. Is there a plastic container available for use, this would be great with a lid even if the Lil' One can stay on the back porch.:great

Mommaluvy
04-19-2015, 09:37 PM
Probably has not been away from mom long ...
Does finder have any of those hand warmers ?
I am thinking a hand warmer in a tote with air holes on the side to keep rain out ...

Rice buddy? What about one of those arthritis pads or knee shoulder or belly thing like an oxygenated hand or toe warmer?

Finder has a cat .. Does the cats kitty litter come in one of those plastic box like things ? Poke or drill holes in the side.

It would be warm dark quiet and dry.

04-19-2015, 09:41 PM
Found this list going to try some of these folks.http://tpwd.texas.gov/huntwild/wild/rehab/list/counties/index.phtml?id=101&county=Harris

Nancy in New York
04-19-2015, 09:42 PM
Found this list going to try some of these folks.
Please let us know how you make out! :hug

Bravo
04-19-2015, 09:43 PM
Thanks for doing what you can, 517634. We don't want to come between you and your dad... hoping that this little one will be safely on it's way tomorrow. Meantime some good suggestions here about how to overnight the little guy.

Kristi S
04-19-2015, 09:46 PM
I just want to say how caring and, well, courageous you are. It's a shame that your father "kicked you out" for such a generous act as trying to save an injured squirrel. I wish the best for the squirrel and for you.

04-19-2015, 09:51 PM
Thanks for all the help so far folks. I'm trying another person to see if they can take the little guy tonight but being that I'll try to keep him in the garage.

Nancy in New York
04-19-2015, 09:52 PM
Thanks for all the help so far folks. I'm trying another person to see if they can take the little guy tonight but being that I'll try to keep him in the garage.

Just make sure that he is secure wherever he is, and that nothing can get to him, that he is warm, and
if you have him in some sort of container that there are air holes.
Also he needs to be in something deep because you'd be surprised how they can climb.:)

Shewhosweptforest
04-19-2015, 10:16 PM
:shakehead I'm so sorry you're going through this turmoil....just know you are amazing :bowdown I don't ever condone going against a parent...but this sweet little life is depending on you...you are my hero :hug
:thankyou for taking a stand for what's right:great

chybear
04-19-2015, 10:34 PM
not sure if it would help, but I'm in cleburne Texas 31/2 hours from houston. I have antibiotics.

SammysMom
04-19-2015, 11:37 PM
If gas money helps here, I am in to contribute. Thank-you so much for helping these little ones. Can you plug in a heating pad in the garage?

04-19-2015, 11:37 PM
Good news!

I was able to find a rehabilitatior off of the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department list of official rehabilitators. She was able to take him in, and only lived a couple of blocks from me so I got him there quick. She is a professional rehabilitatior and only works on squirrels. She has 15 years experience and all sorts of equipments, cages etc.. and gave him antibiotics. She said he likely has an internal injury but he should be able to recover from all this. Thankfully he's in good hands now. (She even had a fox squirrel on her hands who I got to meet!)

Thank you guys for all your help and words of encouragement. I've never had a pet squirrel but they're sweet creatures and I just wanted to do the right thing. :) Also the other person I spoke with who couldn't help because they were too far away, actually called me back right before I headed to the rehabilitatior and they offered to meet me halfway between towns. (They're a member of this forum I don't know if they want their username mentioned). Anyways they're awesome for doing that because they're also rehabbing a bunch of different animals at the moment.

One final thanks to all of you guys I really do appreciate it!

SammysMom
04-19-2015, 11:44 PM
What wonderful news!!! You did such a wonderful job helping. Not everyone takes the time that you did to ensure all the safety possible. :grouphug:Love_Icon:grouphug

Annabelle's papa
04-19-2015, 11:53 PM
Good news!

I was able to find a rehabilitatior off of the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department list of official rehabilitators. She was able to take him in, and only lived a couple of blocks from me so I got him there quick. She is a professional rehabilitatior and only works on squirrels. She has 15 years experience and all sorts of equipments, cages etc.. and gave him antibiotics. She said he likely has an internal injury but he should be able to recover from all this. Thankfully he's in good hands now. (She even had a fox squirrel on her hands who I got to meet!)

Thank you guys for all your help and words of encouragement. I've never had a pet squirrel but they're sweet creatures and I just wanted to do the right thing. :) Also the other person I spoke with who couldn't help because they were too far away, actually called me back right before I headed to the rehabilitatior and they offered to meet me halfway between towns. (They're a member of this forum I don't know if they want their username mentioned). Anyways they're awesome for doing that because they're also rehabbing a bunch of different animals at the moment.

One final thanks to all of you guys I really do appreciate it!

:)Bless Your Heart 517634, Thank You Very Much for helping this Lil' One out, and isn't it wonderful that you found someone in your own area who could help. Like most Folk's who work with Animals, I'm sure they could use some help at times, please stay as a member here on the Board and continue to give updates as they come available. :great

:)A few more photos would have been nice also, but maybe you can get some more if you were to check up on the progress of the Lil' One.:thumbsup