PDA

View Full Version : "Down's Syndrome"

Kristi S
04-17-2015, 03:19 PM
Does anyone have any idea what this really is? Is it a genetic thing, or can it be acquired (the former, I suppose)? Are there intellectual deficits? Interesting that they can't thermoregulate properly. How common is it?

Down's is a specific human genetic problem, so this can't actually be Down's in squirrels.

island rehabber
04-17-2015, 03:32 PM
It's not really Downs....that became a sort of colloquial catch-all phrase for these special babies.
To the best of our knowledge (and my vet's), it is a form of achondroplastic dwarfism in squirrels. Limbs are foreshortened; ears are placed at the sides rather than the top of the head; GI system remains immature and these babies are often on formula for their entire (short) lives as they either cannot digest solids or don't have any interest in them whatsoever. They cannot thermoregulate. :(

LaurelLynn
04-17-2015, 03:40 PM
Interestingly there are comparable conditions in animals that are due to extra chromosomes, just not chromosome 21 which is specific to human downs syndrome. I would guess (maybe erroneously) that while the exact chromosome is species specific, the outcome could possibly be a similar (not identical) condition?

TubeDriver
04-17-2015, 07:44 PM
There are hundreds of genetic syndromes in humans so it is likely that there are many in other mammals too. Syndrome severity often varies a lot with lots of overlapping characteristics. We don't have the luxury of running a chromosomal/karyotype/FISH analysis much less something like a SNP array to identify what might be going on.

But there have been a number squirrels who appear very similar as described by IR. Downs is as good a label as any other for these special little critters.

czarina
04-17-2015, 09:12 PM
IR and TubeDriver explained this very well. There are literally 100's of syndromes, and within a given syndrome, the severity of expression can fall anywhere from mild to incompatible with life. And, depending on which gene is affected, that will dictate what the physical expression will present as.

Another factor to consider is the inbreeding of a species. Anytime there is inbreeding, you run the risk of doubling up the "good" or the "bad" genes. This is often done with birds, when a specific color mutation occurs.

So, theoretically, you could come up with a "super squirrel " or perhaps the "village idiot".

Kristi S
04-18-2015, 12:32 AM
Thank you all! Yes, sounds typically genetic, and a chromosomal abnormality would be a very good guess considering the suite of characteristics.

Inbreeding happens in many domesticated animals, unfortunately. Down's in humans is more like a spontaneous quasi-mutation, though, and it sounds like this is similar. These animals wouldn't survive long enough in nature to breed.

Mommaluvy
04-18-2015, 06:39 AM
This is very interesting as my youngest daughter has T 21. Humans with T21 also have foreshortened limbs and digestive issues that can be from hisprungs disease to a higher incidence of celiac sprue almond the DS population.

Their risk for leukemia is higher, but oddly seem to have a much lower than normal risk for solid or tumor related cancers.

Man.. Which I was a geneticist and could run tests :p

I was excited to think Samantha might have a special friend squee... But now I have to tell my friend that her kids .. Who have dwarfism may be :).

Here she is helping to mix formula

TubeDriver
04-18-2015, 07:28 AM
Thank you for sharing this with us, you probably have additional insight that could help everyone here on the TSB to make the lives of these special squirrels better!

As anyone who has had a "Down's" squirrel will tell you, they have some issues and challenges but that is far out weighed by their gentle, beautiful souls. I imagine this is true with children with T21 too.:Love_Icon:thumbsup

This is very interesting as my youngest daughter has T 21. Humans with T21 also have foreshortened limbs and digestive issues that can be from hisprungs disease to a higher incidence of celiac sprue almond the DS population.

Their risk for leukemia is higher, but oddly seem to have a much lower than normal risk for solid or tumor related cancers.

Man.. Which I was a geneticist and could run tests :p

I was excited to think Samantha might have a special friend squee... But now I have to tell my friend that her kids .. Who have dwarfism may be :).

Here she is helping to mix formula

Mommaluvy
04-18-2015, 11:37 AM
Thank you for sharing this with us, you probably have additional insight that could help everyone here on the TSB to make the lives of these special squirrels better!

As anyone who has had a "Down's" squirrel will tell you, they have some issues and challenges but that is far out weighed by their gentle, beautiful souls. I imagine this is true with children with T21 too.:Love_Icon:thumbsup

Awe (blush) thank you.. But I doubt it lol.

It is true however.. Like you said with squirrels their issues are outweighed but their beautiful ness. My kiddo though, has her moments.. That are not so gentle LOL - like taking away her iPad LOL ( which though I used to say none of my kids would ever have.. lOL was invaluable in helping her learn to read ! )

:)