PDA

View Full Version : Please help mishaped head and swollen/red eyes

dummpers
04-08-2015, 08:54 AM
I have a pet squirrel. rescue from age of 3 weeks. he is now 3 yrs old. yesterday evening noticed his head is misshaped and eyes are red and swollen. There are no vets in my area that i can find that will see him. he is drinking but not eating anything. not even his favorite nuts, fruits or veggies. i am lost as to what to do to help him. he hasn't fallen or anything.

Bravo
04-08-2015, 09:02 AM
Can you post a photo? Did he eat or drink something that he is possibly having a reaction to?

dummpers
04-08-2015, 09:08 AM
Here is a picture of him if I can get it to load

dummpers
04-08-2015, 09:12 AM
he hasn't had anything that he has ever had a reaction to before. same kind of food he has always had.

Bravo
04-08-2015, 09:15 AM
Hm... can you tell us specifically what his diet is? Just trying to get as much info as possible. Could it be an insect bite?

gardenjewel
04-08-2015, 09:18 AM
Oh gosh! Could he have been stung? How are his teeth? Whats his diet like? Does he eat a rodent block?

Some infant ibuprophen might help. Someone that can help with meds will be along soon!

dummpers
04-08-2015, 09:20 AM
nuts: pecans, walnuts, almonds, acorns, unsalted peanuts.
veggies: he loves them all. sweet peas, cauliflower, broccoli, lettuce,
he has a critter block that he eats on as well for minerals.

Spanky
04-08-2015, 09:23 AM
nuts: pecans, walnuts, almonds, acorns, unsalted peanuts.
veggies: he loves them all. sweet peas, cauliflower, broccoli, lettuce,
he has a critter block that he eats on as well for minerals.

How many nuts daily?

How much veggies daily?

What kind of block specifically?

dummpers
04-08-2015, 09:31 AM
i normally place a small amount of each nut and veggie twice a day. i clean out what he doesn't it the first time. he does store full nuts in his "house" and i leave them there till i clean his it once to twice a week. the critter block is normally used for hamsters, it is the redmond brand has 60+ trace minerals. his wateris a self feeder like you would put in a bird cage, it is cleaned and refilled every other day. cleaned with hot water and clean rag, no soaps used. he loves peanut butter creamy with crackers. i put a little on unsalted crackers maybe once a week.

gardenjewel
04-08-2015, 09:33 AM
Glad he likes his veggies which is important. I am thinking the block you are referring to is a mineral block? He also needs a nutritional block to form the main part of his diet, and a lot less nuts. Henreys healthy block is the best, but I make mine with Henreys ingredients.
I don't want to get off the topic of his poor head, but it sounds like a diet change is needed.

Bravo
04-08-2015, 09:33 AM
I'm thinking a bite is possible, or like GJ suggested, a sting. Can you examine him for any bites or skin breaks... is any area (apart from his head) swelling or sensitive?

dummpers
04-08-2015, 09:39 AM
haven't found any bites or breaks anywhere on him. I thought maybe a wasp had got to him. that was the first thing i started looking for last night when i noticed the swelling. it was a fast reaction. he was find yesterday morn and afternoon. went for his feeding last night and that is when i noticed the swelling. he is very touching on his nose area. he is wanting to keep his nose down on something instead of holding his head up like normal.
the head and eyes are the only thing that seems to be effected.

gardenjewel
04-08-2015, 09:41 AM
Nevermind, I see you say hamster block., but you might want to switch to a squirrel block.
A squirrel I know was stung by a wasp....and he kindof looked like yours so I am hoping that is what's wrong with yours, since it was a sudden swelling. Benadryl helped and he was better and eating normally in about 2 days.

dummpers
04-08-2015, 09:45 AM
headed out to get the Benadryl and infant ib. any clue as to how much to give him? if he was a human i could figure it on the weight but since this guy is so small, i dont want to over do it.
how do you make a henrey block? and what other foods should i change his diet to other than less nuts?

SammysMom
04-08-2015, 09:46 AM
Welcome! I am not sure about what is going on with his head, but whatever that is, it will be complicated by his diet. You must stop all nuts immediately and begin the MBD protocol. You may have 2 different things going on at once. Just seeing the diet makes me think that the lack of appetite is probably caused by oain. It may be pain from MBD as well as pain from whatever that is on his head.
You are doing what I did as well as many others with his diet. We feed nuts and crap that in fact is not good for squirrels in captivity. Below you can find what you need to do for the MBD. Not later, now. I have to go to work, but others will be here and help you with other things like her diet. You can start in the Nutrition forum though.
Emergency Treatment for MBD

Get calcium into the squirrel IMMEDIATELY, not later, not tomorrow, NOW.
Delaying treatment can cause death or permanent paralysis.

You will need:
• Tums, rolaids, or calcium supplement (any kind)
• a syringe or spoon

Crush one pill and add a little water or fruit juice to make a paste. Use the syringe or spoon to force-feed the mixture, a little at a time, until it is all gone.

After you give the initial dose of calcium, give 100 mg calcium every 4 hours. If symptoms return or do not improve, try dosing more often: every 3 hours. Severe cases may need 50 mg calcium every 2 hours.

Your squirrel's symptoms should improve within a few hours; within 1-3 days your squirrel should be alert, active, and eating, with no seizures or paralysis. You should be giving 500-600 mg calcium per day (300-400 mg for flying squirrels). Keep track of how many doses you give so you can adjust the dosage if needed. You should work with someone knowledgeable about MBD.

Important!
Any kind of calcium pill is okay for the initial dose. But you must use PLAIN calcium carbonate (without Vit D) from then on.

Many small doses of calcium throughout the day/night are best to keep blood calcium levels as steady as possible.

If symptoms worsen or return, give an emergency dose of 100 mg calcium, then consult with TSB members or a rehabber or veterinarian to adjust the dosing schedule. Relapses are very serious and often fatal.

White feces or a white film on dried urine may mean the dosage can be reduced, as this indicates not all of the calcium is being absorbed. It may also mean you need to give smaller doses more often.

The acute symptoms (weakness, lethargy, seizures, paralysis) will usually improve within a few hours, but this does not mean the squirrel is cured. It will take many months to rebuild the calcium in the bones. (See the "Long-Term Treatment for MBD.")

More Tips

MBD causes brittle bones that break easily. You should pad the bottom of your squirrel's cage and keep him away from high places, where he might jump and break a bone.

Heat is very soothing for a squirrel with MBD. A heating pad turned to low and placed so they cannot chew the pad or cord, or a rice buddy (a sock filled with dry rice/beans and microwaved for about 20 seconds) will work. Squirrels with hind-end paralysis may benefit from gentle massage of the legs and hips.

Long-Term Treatment for MBD

The next step to curing MBD is to fix the diet.

1. Remove ALL seeds, nuts, corn, and treats, including stashes.

2. Follow the Healthy Diet For Pet Squirrels, which can be found here: http://www.henryspets.com/healthy-di...pet-squirrels/. Your squirrel MUST eat rodent blocks or squirrel blocks every day (either 2 Henry's Healthy Squirrel Blocks per day, or a small handful of commercial rodent block per day). If you choose to feed commercial rodent blocks, which are extremely hard, you should crush them up with peanut butter, yogurt, fruit juice, avocado, baby food, etc., to make them easier to chew and improve the taste.

3. You will need to continue giving extra calcium every day for many weeks. You can use a syringe or spoon, or you can mix the calcium with a small amount of peanut butter, crushed nuts, yogurt, baby food, or any food the squirrel likes. An easy way to dose the calcium is to mix 500 mg of calcium powder with 1 tablespoon of peanut butter or other tasty food and roll it into 5 little balls; each ball will contain 100 mg calcium.

Calcium Dosage:

Continue to give 500-600 mg calcium per day for 1 week (300-400 mg for flying squirrels). Once the squirrel is starting to eat blocks on a daily basis, reduce the total daily amount to 250 mg. If the squirrel remains stable for 1 week, reduce the daily amount again by another 50 mg. Continue these weekly reductions until the squirrel is only getting 100 mg of extra calcium per day. Continue this for at least another 2 weeks. If at any time symptoms return, give an emergency 100 mg dose, then go back to a higher dosage for 1-2 weeks.

The treatment for each squirrel may be slightly different and you should work with a rehabber, vet, or other experienced person to tailor the treatment to your squirrel's needs. Depending on the age of the squirrel, severity of disease, and other factors, your squirrel may need extra calcium for many months, perhaps for life.

Important Information
The MBD treatment is a "standardized" treatment that will get most cases on the road to recovery. But every case is different and the treatment should be customized to each squirrel. Severe cases sometimes need more aggressive treatment. There is a limit to how much calcium the body can absorb at one time, so lower doses of calcium given more often is the key with severe cases.

What is MBD?

Calcium is a very important nutrient. It strengthen the bones, but also plays a vital role in all body functions. Every cell in the body contains water plus small amounts of dissolved minerals such as calcium, sodium, magnesium, and potassium. These minerals allow the cells to transmit small electrical signals. Without this cell-to-cell communication, the organs can't function: your heart can't beat, your nerves can't transmit impulses; in fact, you would die.

When there isn't enough calcium in the diet, the body will dissolve the calcium from the bones and use that instead. This eventually causes the bones to become depleted of calcium. Eventually the bones become so depleted, there isn't enough calcium left to maintain sufficient calcium in the cellular fluids, and the organs can't function properly. This is what causes the symptoms of MBD: loss of appetite, lethargy, muscle pain, paralysis, seizures, and eventually death. Humans don't get this type of severe MBD, partly because our calcium requirement is lower and our bones are much bigger, allowing us to store more calcium.

By giving high doses of calcium orally, you are artificially maintaining your squirrel's blood calcium levels because his bones no longer contain enough calcium to maintain his calcium levels normally.

Once the emergency calcium is given, your squirrel's blood calcium levels should normalize fairly quickly. He should "bounce back" and act normal or almost normal. If you are still seeing symptoms such as seizures, loss of appetite, lethargy, or paralysis, the calcium levels may still be too low. This means the body will try to pull the remaining calcium from the bones, which means the MBD is actually getting worse. So stabilizing blood calcium levels is critical. The next step to actually curing the MBD is rebuilding bone. This is the part that takes a long time.

Stabilizing the blood calcium levels can and must be done quickly. In severe cases, calcium may be needed more often throughout the day and night, as often as every 2 hours.

gardenjewel
04-08-2015, 09:49 AM
How do you know he didn't fall? Resting his head makes me go back again to a fall.
I also never found the wound or any stinger on my squirrelly friend, but I know he was stung because I saw the wasp hit him and he cried out. so its still apossible sting.
Also maybe a spider bite, it seems like a spider bite can take awhile to develop into a wound.
Do you have any infant ibuprophen in case that is what is recommended?

Spanky
04-08-2015, 09:50 AM
Thank you SM! I was about to ask to have this moved to the ER for more attention. Do you think this one could get some Benadryl and ibuprofen (dosing?).

Bravo
04-08-2015, 09:51 AM
Thanks GJ, SM. :great

gardenjewel
04-08-2015, 10:00 AM
Get some tums also in case of MBD. you need to get some extra calcium into him. Even if his diet is not causing this problem It will eventually become a problem.
And wait to give him anything until you get a dosage.

gardenjewel
04-08-2015, 10:01 AM
good some one got to the MBD!!!!!!

dummpers
04-08-2015, 10:05 AM
i do not currently have the Benadryl or the ibuprofen on hand but can get it easy. just need to know the dosage to give him.
I am not 100% sure that he did not fall. if he did it wouldn't have been more than 2 feet. He does have a cage for night time with his house inside it, socks or shirts no longer worked for him since age 1. he is out of his cage most of the day but is normally with me ( on me or my chair) if i am going to another room i place him back in his cage for that time. he has a jungle gym of sorts in his cage to play with while he is in there to keep him active and stimulated. the cage is a large bird cage that is 3 feet tall 2.5 feet wide. I don't like him in a cage but he tends to wander when I am asleep and almost stepped on him in the night.

gardenjewel
04-08-2015, 10:14 AM
But a 2ft fall on to his nose with complicating mbd, could have led to these symptoms. Mbd also can lead to weakening which would make him more likley to fall.
And a cage is not a bad thing!
Some one that can help you with what and how much to give will be along to help.
I hope he feels better soon

dummpers
04-08-2015, 10:14 AM
I don't have the Benadryl or ibuprofen on hand but can get it when i go get the calcium and stock back up on other foods for him. just need a dosage to give him.

dummpers
04-08-2015, 10:18 AM
Thank y'all for the answers. headed to town now to get things for him. I will check back to see if there is a dosage recommended for him when i get back home.

Annabelle's papa
04-08-2015, 10:31 AM
Thank y'all for the answers. headed to town now to get things for him. I will check back to see if there is a dosage recommended for him when i get back home.

:)Good Morning dummpers, and :Welcome to The Squirrel Board, diet is a concern or mystery to everyone who has ever found this site. Few vets know exactly what a healthy diet for Squirrels should consists of, with a few changes and additions your Lil' Man will be assured of having a long and healthy life.:great

:) Dosing of medication is usually given via PM from an administrator, and it has to be formulated according to an exact weight.:dance

TubeDriver
04-08-2015, 10:46 AM
The MBD and diet should be addressed ASAP! This may or may not be related to what is happening with his head.

Can you get a picture of his teeth?

Do you have a weight? If not I would guess around 550g. I will send you Ibuprofen and Benadryl dosing directions.

Annabelle's papa
04-08-2015, 10:51 AM
The MBD and diet should be addressed ASAP! This may or may not be related to what is happening with his head.

Can you get a picture of his teeth?

Do you have a weight? If not I would guess around 550g. I will send you Ibuprofen and Benadryl dosing directions.

:thumbsup

TubeDriver
04-08-2015, 11:05 AM
Just bumping the excellent post quoted below! :thumbsup

Welcome! I am not sure about what is going on with his head, but whatever that is, it will be complicated by his diet. You must stop all nuts immediately and begin the MBD protocol. You may have 2 different things going on at once. Just seeing the diet makes me think that the lack of appetite is probably caused by oain. It may be pain from MBD as well as pain from whatever that is on his head.
You are doing what I did as well as many others with his diet. We feed nuts and crap that in fact is not good for squirrels in captivity. Below you can find what you need to do for the MBD. Not later, now. I have to go to work, but others will be here and help you with other things like her diet. You can start in the Nutrition forum though.
Emergency Treatment for MBD

Get calcium into the squirrel IMMEDIATELY, not later, not tomorrow, NOW.
Delaying treatment can cause death or permanent paralysis.

You will need:
• Tums, rolaids, or calcium supplement (any kind)
• a syringe or spoon

Crush one pill and add a little water or fruit juice to make a paste. Use the syringe or spoon to force-feed the mixture, a little at a time, until it is all gone.

After you give the initial dose of calcium, give 100 mg calcium every 4 hours. If symptoms return or do not improve, try dosing more often: every 3 hours. Severe cases may need 50 mg calcium every 2 hours.

Your squirrel's symptoms should improve within a few hours; within 1-3 days your squirrel should be alert, active, and eating, with no seizures or paralysis. You should be giving 500-600 mg calcium per day (300-400 mg for flying squirrels). Keep track of how many doses you give so you can adjust the dosage if needed. You should work with someone knowledgeable about MBD.

Important!
Any kind of calcium pill is okay for the initial dose. But you must use PLAIN calcium carbonate (without Vit D) from then on.

Many small doses of calcium throughout the day/night are best to keep blood calcium levels as steady as possible.

If symptoms worsen or return, give an emergency dose of 100 mg calcium, then consult with TSB members or a rehabber or veterinarian to adjust the dosing schedule. Relapses are very serious and often fatal.

White feces or a white film on dried urine may mean the dosage can be reduced, as this indicates not all of the calcium is being absorbed. It may also mean you need to give smaller doses more often.

The acute symptoms (weakness, lethargy, seizures, paralysis) will usually improve within a few hours, but this does not mean the squirrel is cured. It will take many months to rebuild the calcium in the bones. (See the "Long-Term Treatment for MBD.")

More Tips

MBD causes brittle bones that break easily. You should pad the bottom of your squirrel's cage and keep him away from high places, where he might jump and break a bone.

Heat is very soothing for a squirrel with MBD. A heating pad turned to low and placed so they cannot chew the pad or cord, or a rice buddy (a sock filled with dry rice/beans and microwaved for about 20 seconds) will work. Squirrels with hind-end paralysis may benefit from gentle massage of the legs and hips.

Long-Term Treatment for MBD

The next step to curing MBD is to fix the diet.

1. Remove ALL seeds, nuts, corn, and treats, including stashes.

2. Follow the Healthy Diet For Pet Squirrels, which can be found here: http://www.henryspets.com/healthy-di...pet-squirrels/. Your squirrel MUST eat rodent blocks or squirrel blocks every day (either 2 Henry's Healthy Squirrel Blocks per day, or a small handful of commercial rodent block per day). If you choose to feed commercial rodent blocks, which are extremely hard, you should crush them up with peanut butter, yogurt, fruit juice, avocado, baby food, etc., to make them easier to chew and improve the taste.

3. You will need to continue giving extra calcium every day for many weeks. You can use a syringe or spoon, or you can mix the calcium with a small amount of peanut butter, crushed nuts, yogurt, baby food, or any food the squirrel likes. An easy way to dose the calcium is to mix 500 mg of calcium powder with 1 tablespoon of peanut butter or other tasty food and roll it into 5 little balls; each ball will contain 100 mg calcium.

Calcium Dosage:

Continue to give 500-600 mg calcium per day for 1 week (300-400 mg for flying squirrels). Once the squirrel is starting to eat blocks on a daily basis, reduce the total daily amount to 250 mg. If the squirrel remains stable for 1 week, reduce the daily amount again by another 50 mg. Continue these weekly reductions until the squirrel is only getting 100 mg of extra calcium per day. Continue this for at least another 2 weeks. If at any time symptoms return, give an emergency 100 mg dose, then go back to a higher dosage for 1-2 weeks.

The treatment for each squirrel may be slightly different and you should work with a rehabber, vet, or other experienced person to tailor the treatment to your squirrel's needs. Depending on the age of the squirrel, severity of disease, and other factors, your squirrel may need extra calcium for many months, perhaps for life.

Important Information
The MBD treatment is a "standardized" treatment that will get most cases on the road to recovery. But every case is different and the treatment should be customized to each squirrel. Severe cases sometimes need more aggressive treatment. There is a limit to how much calcium the body can absorb at one time, so lower doses of calcium given more often is the key with severe cases.

What is MBD?

Calcium is a very important nutrient. It strengthen the bones, but also plays a vital role in all body functions. Every cell in the body contains water plus small amounts of dissolved minerals such as calcium, sodium, magnesium, and potassium. These minerals allow the cells to transmit small electrical signals. Without this cell-to-cell communication, the organs can't function: your heart can't beat, your nerves can't transmit impulses; in fact, you would die.

When there isn't enough calcium in the diet, the body will dissolve the calcium from the bones and use that instead. This eventually causes the bones to become depleted of calcium. Eventually the bones become so depleted, there isn't enough calcium left to maintain sufficient calcium in the cellular fluids, and the organs can't function properly. This is what causes the symptoms of MBD: loss of appetite, lethargy, muscle pain, paralysis, seizures, and eventually death. Humans don't get this type of severe MBD, partly because our calcium requirement is lower and our bones are much bigger, allowing us to store more calcium.

By giving high doses of calcium orally, you are artificially maintaining your squirrel's blood calcium levels because his bones no longer contain enough calcium to maintain his calcium levels normally.

Once the emergency calcium is given, your squirrel's blood calcium levels should normalize fairly quickly. He should "bounce back" and act normal or almost normal. If you are still seeing symptoms such as seizures, loss of appetite, lethargy, or paralysis, the calcium levels may still be too low. This means the body will try to pull the remaining calcium from the bones, which means the MBD is actually getting worse. So stabilizing blood calcium levels is critical. The next step to actually curing the MBD is rebuilding bone. This is the part that takes a long time.

Stabilizing the blood calcium levels can and must be done quickly. In severe cases, calcium may be needed more often throughout the day and night, as often as every 2 hours.

sassysquirrel
04-08-2015, 05:54 PM
If you are close to Little Rock there is a excellent squirrel vet there. Dr Razer at Hillcrest Animal.

If you are in northern Arkansas there are some veys up there also that will see squirrels.

If you are close to Texarkana I might be able to help you.

SammysMom
04-08-2015, 08:51 PM
How is your boy doing? Were you able to get rodent block? Not a mineral block or seed mix, but rat blocks. I hope that you are close to Little Rock as that vet that Sassy mentioned is AWESOME!!!:thumbsup
Thank-you for the offer of help Sassy!:grouphug