PDA

View Full Version : Raising Nutmeg, 9 wk old gray squirrel

samba4408
04-06-2015, 01:14 PM
Hello! My name is Sarah, my husband and I have been raising a baby squirrel since she was 3 wks old and fell out of her nest... she just got her toes stuck in her cage door the day before yesterday, poor little girl! ... there was no blood or abrasion that we can see, but the toe next to the outside toe is a little swollen, and she wont fully use her foot, she scratches herself and climbs and plays, but when she climbs she doesn't fully use that foot, and the toe nail on that toe hangs down/out further than her other ones... any help would be much appreciated!!!

SammysMom
04-06-2015, 02:33 PM
Would you by chance have and liquid INFANT ibuprofen? WOuld it be possible for you to take a picture of the foot so we can see what is actually happening with it?
Also, can you tell us what she eats every day? Actually eats, not hides or leaves in her bowl.

samba4408
04-18-2015, 10:52 PM
I have been trying to get a picture of her toe to no avail lol... she is such an active girl! I will keep trying to get one to post for you....She is using it now, and it does not seem to be bothering her at all, it just looks swollen and sticks out further than the rest. She let me manipulate it a little tonight while she was eating her nut, and it doesn't seem to bother her, so I hope that's a good thing?
She eats Kale, spinach, romaine lettuce, carrots, squash, broccoli, snap peas, blueberries, strawberries, almonds, pecans, walnuts. I recently got a premixed recipe of nut squares as well. We tried rodent block when she started getting her teeth in, and she will nibble on it, but not enouh to say she eats it...any suggestions on this? and am I giving her enough nutrition with what I am feeding her?

SammysMom
04-19-2015, 12:02 AM
Glad to hear she is doing better. Just so that you know, she may lose the toe. It will be far more upsetting to you than it is for her.
As for the rodent block, I find that mine only will eat the Picky variety of Henry's Healthy Blocks. http://henryspets.com