PDA

View Full Version : LOCKJAW?!

monroe
04-02-2015, 07:57 PM
10 months ago i found my wee baby twitch and apart from a few problems with his brain damage due to head trauma from falling out of the tree, hes been a happy go lucky littlw squirrel. he had his first vet visit at 3 months old and the vet told me that he could not be released because he has brain damage and couldnt survive on his own according to our government laws. hes been a happy healthy squirrel since except for a littlw scare when he was 4 months old where ge became very ill. but my little guy pulled through! now several months later.... for the past 2 weeks ive been noticing that he gets lockjaw..it only lasts for about 20 minutes at the most. i never leave his side when it happens... but i needed to come here and ask about it before i go to the vet. its a hassle to bring him to the vet because its 2 hours out of the city and its 130$ just to bring him in the door. what are the causes of this? what could i do to help?! im very veeery worried. is it serious? should i be worried? i often fear he'll get lockjaw one day and it wont go back to normal and he'll die. hes been throufh so much and has overcome soooo much. he really is a fighter. im just very very worried

HRT4SQRLS
04-02-2015, 08:01 PM
Hi Monroe,
The first thing I think of from your description is the teeth. Have you examined the teeth? Do they look normal? I really don't think you have a choice here. I think your squirrel needs to go to the vet and have an X-ray of the head to see what's going on.

It might be something as simple as teeth trimming.

island rehabber
04-02-2015, 09:27 PM
:goodpost

monroe
04-02-2015, 09:55 PM
yes. having had him for so long amd the health problems he has ive been monitoring him very closely and continue to do so... his teeth look absolutely normal. and i understand "cant afford a vet cant afford a pet" obviously. and as a vet student i understand. however like i previously stated, the only vet in my area that attends to wildlife includinf squirrels is 2 hours outside my city. even though i have the money, getting there is nt the easiest task due to the fact i have to rent a vehicle. that and the only vet that can see him goes by appointment. so it would only be at least a week before they could see him. at the least. which is why i came here. ive made him an appointment for the vet but its only on the 17th that they can see him, which is why i came here for advice.

island rehabber
04-02-2015, 10:00 PM
Could you possibly explain what you mean by "lockjaw", or even post a video? It may be something that one of us will recognize and we may be able to help you better. :)