PDA

View Full Version : HHB with mold

ctmom
04-01-2015, 05:45 AM
I just went to feed my 2 littles some hhb and some had mold. I opened another bag and it had 1 block with mold. Do I have to throw out the whole bag?

SammysMom
04-01-2015, 05:53 AM
Did you have them in the freezer? Dont feed the without calling leigh at henrys.

ctmom
04-01-2015, 06:06 AM
I always keep them in the fridge. I just placed a new order and wrote a comment. I will call Leigh and ask her.
I wasn't going to feed any until I know it is safe.
Thanks Gayle. I'm coming to CT for Easter. I don't want to see any snow!

SammysMom
04-01-2015, 06:37 AM
The blocks don't have any preservatives, so I always put them in the freezer. When I have only one here, I keep the whole bag in the freezer and take two right out of the freezer for Sam. At the moment, I have 6 so I have the open bag in the fridge, but all other bags in the freezer.
What does the mold look like?
I hope to God that all of this darned snow is gone by the weekend, but Heaven only knows whether it will be or not...:shakehead

ctmom
04-01-2015, 08:05 AM
Mold is white and fuzzy. I'm still waiting to hear back from Leigh. I will keep blocks in freezer from now on.

Delo729
04-01-2015, 08:10 AM
We always keep ours in the freezer. Take out the amount i need for morning. then later take out some to defrost for early evening. Learned that from the first Hhb's we ever got. Stuck those in the fridge and they molded. I personally threw out the whole bags. It sucked but didnt wanna take any chances.

Nancy in New York
04-01-2015, 08:25 AM
This happened to another member pappy, her's was green. I told her to contact Leigh, and you can read below.

Just heard from Leigh, sending out a replacement. It is 'bread mold', she said not something to be worried about (still not to feed but no concerns).

I think that perhaps a good suggestion would be to tell people to keep them in their freezer,
since the bag says to keep them in the refrig. we assume that's ok to do so.
Another member said that since the bag says keep in the refrig. when feeding only one squirrel
it doesn't last in the refrig for a month.
Perhaps Leigh needs to change the label.

Another thread.

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?45463-Blocks-turning-white-but-not-mold&highlight=mold

pappy1264
04-01-2015, 08:41 AM
This is what I do, after having this happen to me (and mine WERE in the freezer). Sometimes in shipping, condensation can build in the bag. What I do now, when I get them, I open the bag, dump them all out on a plate. I wipe out the bag just to make sure it is completely dry. After a few minutes sitting out, I put the blocks back in the bag, zip up, then I put that in a freezer bag and put the whole thing in the freezer. Leigh had said mentioned about condensation during shipping when it happened to me (it goes through different temp zones from there to here). Btw, my mold was green, just like in bread.

Anne
04-01-2015, 05:39 PM
​Always freeze your bags of Blocks-never feed anything with mold on it!

SammysMom
04-01-2015, 06:57 PM
​Always freeze your bags of Blocks-never feed anything with mold on it!

:goodpost

ctmom
04-01-2015, 07:02 PM
Leigh said to toss them!
I will definitely keep the blocks in the freezer and just take out what I need for the day.
Thanks pappy for your tip about wiping the inside.
I think I will do that also.
Thank you everyone for your input.
SB members are the best!

SammysMom
04-01-2015, 07:04 PM
Yes we are and you are one of us!!!:thumbsup