PDA

View Full Version : Urgent: Squirrel having problems breathing!

Maltamary
03-26-2015, 12:16 AM
I have a young squirrel approx 6-7 weeks old that yesterday was caught by a hawk from a tree then dropped from 50 ft up in the air & was then caught by a cat. A young man rescued it from the cat's jaws. His breathing is very labored & his lips are cyanotic. He won't eat or drink pedialyte. He makes a gasping wheeze or squeak when he tries to breathe & at times arches his back backwards in what looks like an attempt to get air in his lungs.

stepnstone
03-26-2015, 12:31 AM
Sounds like he may have a collapsed lung, trauma for sure.
Are you saying he made it through the night?

stepnstone
03-26-2015, 12:33 AM
Is there any signs of blood?
Has he pee'd or pooped?

Kristi S
03-26-2015, 11:22 PM
Geez, talk about trauma! What a rough day for that poor thing! I hate to say it, but there may not be much you can do. Who knows what kind of internal damage there is, and the risk of infection is extremely high. Without enough oxygen he could suffer brain damage (in addition to whatever brain and spinal damage he might already have) This is the kind of case when euthanasia may be the kindest thing you can do for him. Predators are a part of nature - at least the hawk is - and they kill millions of baby squirrels every year.

Is euthanasia a naughty word around here?

Nancy in New York
03-26-2015, 11:24 PM
Is euthanasia a naughty word around here?

:dono :thinking Why would it be? :shakehead

Kristi S
03-26-2015, 11:39 PM
Oh, I just didn't know. I haven't heard any suggestions that it be done, so I thought I'd ask. It can be a hard decision to make.

island rehabber
03-27-2015, 07:04 AM
The cyanotic lips and back-arching seizures the poster describes above tell me that this poor squirrel was in its last moments of life anyway. I will be pleasantly surprised if it survived.....hope we hear back.

Nancy in New York
03-27-2015, 07:51 AM
Oh, I just didn't know. I haven't heard any suggestions that it be done, so I thought I'd ask.

She made ONE post! :shakehead

stepnstone
03-27-2015, 11:58 AM
The cyanotic lips and back-arching seizures the poster describes above tell me that this poor squirrel was in its last moments of life anyway. I will be pleasantly surprised if it survived.....hope we hear back.

I agree.
Poster was on for quite some time even after I had posted.
I figured they were tending to baby but when they just signed
off about an hour later I just assumed why that was.

Kristi S
03-27-2015, 01:46 PM
She made ONE post! :shakehead

I meant in the forum in general, not in this thread.

Nancy in New York
03-27-2015, 01:58 PM
Euthanasia can be a gift to a suffering animal with no hope.
The most humane way of doing so would be by a vet.
IF vet access is available, and the prognosis is grim, or there
will be no quality of life, it then is suggested to perhaps end
the suffering.

Kristi S
03-27-2015, 02:13 PM
I see. Thank you. I was just wondering, I didn't mean to sound "catty" or anything.

Maltamary
03-30-2015, 10:22 AM
UPDATE: Sonny passed away in the wee hours of Thursday morning. Thank you to everyone who responded to my request for help. I am sorry that I didn't get back to you sooner but I honestly just remembered that I hadn't gotten back to the board with an update. I will try to reply to all the posts after the swelling in my hands subsides & I have a better control of my keyboard. experiencing a major flare up of my Fibromyalgia. Thank you

island rehabber
03-30-2015, 10:40 AM
Poor Sonny.....rest in peace, little baby squirrel. :(
At least he had a warm, safe place to cross the Bridge. Take care of yourself, Maltamary, and bless you for trying to help him. :grouphug