PDA

View Full Version : Non-toxic flowers

TracyC.
03-25-2015, 03:20 AM
I want to know what flowers are non-toxic that I can feed to my squirrel?

Annabelle's papa
03-25-2015, 04:39 AM
I want to know what flowers are non-toxic that I can feed to my squirrel?

Hi TracyC, and :Welcome to The Squirrel Board.

Here is a link to the Healthy Diet Thread: www.thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?44440-Healthy-Diet-for-Pet-Squirrels

Please pay close attention to the toxic plant list, and review the recommended Healthy Food list for feeding a captive Squirrel.:great

Squirrel's need to be fed a diet that contains a 2:1 calcium to phosphorus ratio because calcium is very important to their dietary needs in order to prevent MBD. This is a life threatening disease that will cause them a great deal of crippling pain followed by death. :sadness

Please compare the food items on this list to what you are feeding your Squirrel, and make adjustments as necessary. They should also be eating a high quality block fortified with nutrients that are essential to their health and well being. These blocks can be ordered from www.henryshealthypets.com because they are not found in pet stores or other pet food outlets.

Glad you found this site, please post some pictures of your Lil' One and ask as many questions as you need answered.:thumbsup

czarina
03-25-2015, 09:54 AM
:Welcome Tracy and little one.

We all pretty much consider the healthy diet list our bible around here! Please always keep it in mind when shopping. If you go the "nutrition" section, you will find sticky's that give a much more detailed explanation about which foods have a good calcium to phosphorus ratio.

It is IMPERATIVE to feed your squirrel a proper diet for him to survive. Almost every problem we encounter here is diet related, so if you get a good handle on it early, you will be way ahead of the game!

And remember, only 2 nuts a day, as a treat!

If you start your guy off early in life, eating the Henry's Healthy Blocks, (HHB'S), you will save yourself a lot of worries and headaches later, trying to do behavior modification.

Anne
03-25-2015, 11:52 AM
Squirrels love Hibiscus!
Roses, especially the rose hips.
Dandelions and the whole plant-leaves and roots.
Anything we can eat, squish blossoms, narcissus flowers.
This is just a short list.

Do check out the food list.

nchls_school
03-25-2015, 01:46 PM
My squirrels love broccoli and cauliflower; both of which I grow in my garden. I'm looking forward to seeing if Peanut will like these veggies after they start to flower. Both broccoli and cauliflower, that are commonly consumed, are flower buds before they open.

CritterMom
03-25-2015, 02:10 PM
Be very careful. Even if they are edible, don't feed florist or supermarket flowers, because they have enough pesticides on them to make them ill.

Kristi S
03-26-2015, 05:41 PM
I wonder why chrysanthemums and camelia are on the safe flowers list on the HHB site. They are toxic to other animals. Maybe squirrels have special enzymes to bind or break down the toxins?