PDA

View Full Version : Can Boys Be Neutered?

Rockysmom
04-22-2006, 02:04 PM
I have a new 5 to 6 weeks old male, and was wondering if he can be neutered around 6 months old. not sure how they are when they mature? are they ok to be around not altered? What kind of problems do adult males have? already I noticed his urine is very strong and will he get very agressive. this is my first squirrel. he is a Belding Ground Squirrel.

CliffordandDaisy'sDad
04-22-2006, 02:11 PM
Mom, sure they can. And it's a easy procedure for them. Be sure a question any vet, you know that already. ;)

Clifford had his at about 5 months. I stayed with him, we came home, he slept the rest of the day. Then was fine the next day.

Yep, they can get real cranky if you don't.

CliffordandDaisy'sDad
04-22-2006, 02:26 PM
BTW :)

HI and Welcome! :Welcome

Rockysmom
04-22-2006, 02:42 PM
Hey thanks for the info. I sure was hoping that was the case. A friend said she knows a vet that has delt with squirrels and chipmonks so we will see if he can do it. BTW I put a few pics on the April Photo contest thread. I didn't know you can only enter one and they came out way big. How do i fix that?

CliffordandDaisy'sDad
04-22-2006, 02:56 PM
don't ask me! LOL

I have to have someone else post pictures for me. ;)

Any vet that does rabbits, rats, mice, etc should be able to do it. Just give them the what for first.

MissDolittle
04-22-2006, 06:47 PM
Welcome! :)

I don't know about neutering, but I have to jump in here when I read ground
squirrel.

I just watched a show on Animal Planet about snakes and they showed the
ground squirrels attacking the rattle of a rattlesnake and they said that adult
squirrels (I don't know if it goes for all squirrels) are imune to the venom.

I didn't know that and found that extremely amazing. They rub themselves
with shedded snake skin so the rattlers won't smell them...WHOA! :)

sage1970
06-19-2006, 12:01 PM
Ditto on the neuter thing....just make sure your vet is comfortable working on them.

Its amazing what animals know how to do instinctivly isn't it....