PDA

View Full Version : Help!

rattyvonratkins
03-20-2015, 08:28 AM
I was planning on leaving for the Mid Atlantic Gathering of the Nuts soon but I saw this wild and had to post something. I don't know what to do. He's eating but only out-of-shell nuts. He's pretty friendly. Is this an infection?

SammysMom
03-20-2015, 08:32 AM
Oh God...hard to tell if it is a growth or an abscess. That scratch across it makes me wonder about it being an abscess. I will try to get some more attention here.

TubeDriver
03-20-2015, 08:41 AM
Just a guess but I think abscess. With real abscess/infections, the hair always falls out.

He is going to feel a lot better when that pops and drains which should be any day now. If all this is correct, it might heal on its own.

What I would do is watch him and expect the abscess to pop within a day or two. If that happens, monitor the drained site for several days and see of it clears up or becomes abscessed again.

If it swells up again, then I would try to trap him,drain, clean and treat with AB. I have seen wilds with similar sized abscesses that healed completly on their own, this is when they look otherwise healthy and strong.

stepnstone
03-20-2015, 09:41 AM
Oh God...hard to tell if it is a growth or an abscess. That scratch across it makes me wonder about it being an abscess. I will try to get some more attention here.
I agree the scratch makes me also think abscess and being where it is can pose many risks not limited to but including cutting off the air way. Looking at it the scratches look pretty well sealed and are not really showing any headway to erupting.
Trap his butt and bring him with you, I got my emergancy kit in my car... :grin2

Milo's Mom
03-20-2015, 09:56 AM
I agree with Step!

Nancy in New York
03-20-2015, 10:03 AM
How far are you from the gathering.
Not sure how a little wild squirrel would do with a long car ride. :eek
Is there someone at home who could watch out for him if you go?

RobinTN
03-20-2015, 10:13 AM
Does anyone else think that looks like crusty dried blood around his nostrils? Also, in the 1st pic, it looks like a tiny healed-over puncture wound in the very center of the swollen area. I think the big visible scratch is secondary. Note the blood vessels visible in the stretched skin...

I'm leaning towards abcess, but a deep one.

Nancy in New York
03-20-2015, 10:17 AM
Does anyone else think that looks like crusty dried blood around his nostrils? Also, in the 1st pic, it looks like a tiny healed-over puncture wound in the very center of the swollen area. I think the big visible scratch is secondary. Note the blood vessels visible in the stretched skin...

I'm leaning towards abcess, but a deep one.

I saw the coloring around the nostrils, but was unsure if it was dirt from burying or digging up nuts.
Yes to the tiny healed over puncture wound as well.

http://nmognoni.smugmug.com/Backyard-wilflife/i-CqbdhDv/0/L/untitled-L.jpg (http://nmognoni.smugmug.com/Backyard-wilflife/i-CqbdhDv/A)

rattyvonratkins
03-20-2015, 11:02 AM
I also thought about trapping him and bringing him with me but its a 5 hour+ drive. And it wouldn't have worked anyway because after I posted the pics of him, I went back to look for him and he had disappeared already. I'll look for him when I get back to CT and hopefully by then it will have drained.

SammysMom
03-20-2015, 01:52 PM
WHere are you in CT?

Nancy in New York
03-20-2015, 02:22 PM
WHere are you in CT?

OMG Gayle, I didn't even catch that one.

SammysMom
03-20-2015, 02:41 PM
:shakehead I had no idea she was in CT...

Kristi S
03-21-2015, 06:32 PM
I wonder if that puncture wound is how the infection first started. Looks older than the scratches - I agree, they are secondary and superficial. Could be a while before it pops on its own, judging from the color. Infection spreading to the blood stream is another worry.

MollyBear361
03-22-2015, 12:03 AM
Poor bum. Is something wrong with his left eye as well?

TubeDriver
03-23-2015, 03:04 PM
Hi RvR. :wave123 Any updates on this fellow?

rattyvonratkins
03-23-2015, 09:05 PM
Hi TD!! It was really fun getting to know you and Barrie this weekend. :hug You guys are so easy to talk to- I learned a lot and it was great getting a new perspective on feeding wilds etc. Bryon said it was a highlight of the event for him as well :)

Unfortunately I haven't seen this lil dude yet since we got back :sadness but I may have just missed him this morning because we got home late last night and as a result, I overslept a bit this morning. I get nervous when I don't see sick/injured/compromised sqrls at their normal feeding times so I hope he's okay. :dono Maybe I'm just being a worrywart. I'll look for him tomorrow morning and I'll keep you posted! :thumbsup

TubeDriver
03-23-2015, 09:14 PM
We really enjoyed hanging out with you both! It was a terrific weekend!:thumbsup

Hopefully your little friend will show up soon!

Hi TD!! It was really fun getting to know you and Barrie this weekend. :hug You guys are so easy to talk to- I learned a lot and it was great getting a new perspective on feeding wilds etc. Bryon said it was a highlight of the event for him as well :)

Unfortunately I haven't seen this lil dude yet since we got back :sadness but I may have just missed him this morning because we got home late last night and as a result, I overslept a bit this morning. I get nervous when I don't see sick/injured/compromised sqrls at their normal feeding times so I hope he's okay. :dono Maybe I'm just being a worrywart. I'll look for him tomorrow morning and I'll keep you posted! :thumbsup

rattyvonratkins
03-25-2015, 08:06 PM
Still no luck yet. I may have seen him yesterday morning although I couldn't be sure because he got scared of something and ran off before I could get a good look or take a photo. Hopefully I'll see him tomorrow or Friday...

SammysMom
03-25-2015, 08:11 PM
I keep hoping to hear from you...:Love_Icon

rattyvonratkins
03-27-2015, 10:23 AM
Yay!! I saw this guy today. The swelling was present when I first saw him on my doorstep eating shelled nuts. Then he perched in a tree and groomed himself for a good 15 minutes. Then he disappeared for another 15 minutes or so. Next thing I know, he's back on my doorstep eating again and it looks like it drained quite a bit. See for yourself. I wonder if this is the first time this abscess-type thing has drained or if it has drained and refilled several times in the last week. Sorry for the poor quality of the long-distance pics.

stepnstone
03-27-2015, 12:37 PM
Yes, it definitely is draining which is a good thing.
It is possible it "refills," wish you could somehow get
ab's in him to get it dried up completely.

Kristi S
03-27-2015, 01:41 PM
Wow, what a difference! I bet that squirrel is feeling some relief!

island rehabber
03-27-2015, 01:58 PM
Looks like he popped it for sure, probably with that hind leg of his....let's pray that it stays popped and drains freely. Poor guy -- what a cute face!

rattyvonratkins
04-04-2015, 07:52 PM
Update:

I've been keeping an eye on this guy (who I nicknamed Puffy) as much as I can. It's hard to get a good picture of the area under his chin but I finally got a few today. After about 20 pics, this poor guy was about to kill me for making him wait to get a walnut. He's taking in-shell nuts now. The wound looks very dirty unless that's a scab but I see his fur is growing back. If it is dirt, I hope that wouldn't cause an infection. I'll try to get more pics tomorrow and hopefully the wound will be cleaned off a bit by then.

TubeDriver
04-04-2015, 08:32 PM
I think that dark patch is dirt. The abscess drained nicely, hopefully he is over the worst of it and he will continue healing.

Just give him food and fresh water, his Squirrely immune system should take care of everything else!:thumbsup

rattyvonratkins
04-04-2015, 10:01 PM
Done and done :thumbsup

island rehabber
04-04-2015, 10:14 PM
:thumbsup Good job, RVR!

rattyvonratkins
04-05-2015, 09:10 AM
Puffy came by again and he looks even better today.

He was so eager for a treat, he even helped me open the door!

rattyvonratkins
04-05-2015, 09:18 AM
Oh and now that Puffy looks almost normal again, I recognized him! I never had a name for him before so I think Puffy will stick but here's a picture I took of this guy back on 10/11/13. I can tell him apart since he's quite brave and he takes food from my hand.

Shewhosweptforest
04-05-2015, 09:26 AM
:dance Yay! Puffy! His "amazing squirrel power" (:secret super healing) is intact :great I just love how a healthy squirrel can miraculously heal :bowdown it's another one of their many super powers :grin3 I don't know how I completely missed Puffy's thread...but I'm glad I found out the good ending :shakehead I would have been worried sick right along with ya:hug

He's definitely a handsome fellow :klunk Oh and seems ready to make himself right at home :Love_Icon

Oh and Alison I meant to tell you after the Gathering, when you posted the pic of the squirrel birdhouse....I have one :hyper my son gave me one for Christmas :grin3 Of course it's in my living room ...not outside :nono even tho my son tried hard to convince me to hang it for the birdies:poke

Edit: wow, it's a small world :grin3 Puffy is a looker :Love_Icon

Bravo
04-05-2015, 09:27 AM
:yeahthat What a loveable face... looks like he came through with flying colors. I agree with what TD said... that squirrelly immune system kicks butt. :get_em:great

Kristi S
04-05-2015, 03:16 PM
I hate to say it, but to me it looks like the abscess is refilling. That caked-on dirt might have stopped it from draining. It's not nearly as big, but the area doesn't look as deflated as it did. It looks rounded. I hope I'm wrong! Anyway, I know you're keeping an eye on it - and he's cooperating very nicely!!! What a little sweetie. (Whoops, I think I'm getting him confused with another...I could be totally wrong about this!)

rattyvonratkins
04-08-2015, 08:16 PM
I saw Puffy this morning and he looks to be completely healed up :bliss

SammysMom
04-08-2015, 09:13 PM
I am so GLAD to hear this!!! :fireworks

Nancy in New York
04-08-2015, 09:36 PM
Fantastic, you sure know YOUR little squirrel buddy well.
I never doubted it for a minute that "mama" knows best, and mama knows what she sees! :hug

FortWorthSquaddy
04-08-2015, 10:00 PM
Anyone's thoughts on putting a double-dose of Ab in some almond-butter and giving to a wild?