PDA

View Full Version : dosing Ab for clicking baby

SugarHill
03-15-2015, 07:32 PM
I received a approx. 3.5 week old female, eyes closed, who was congested and sniffly. I heard an intermittent click, gave her 0.1cc of SMZ (200mg/40mg per 5mL ) around 5pm today. She's still clicking, more regularly now.. How soon is too soon to give her more Ab? And how soon would it take for her to improve? I'm concerned since it's gotten worse between 5pm and now.

SammysMom
03-15-2015, 07:40 PM
If you give me a weight on the baby I will help you with dosing in a PM.

SammysMom
03-15-2015, 07:42 PM
I am pretty sure the dose you used may have been too much so please weigh the baby for the correct dose.

SammysMom
03-15-2015, 08:08 PM
Just to make a suggestion, the syringe in the picture is WAY too large for one so little. I would be using a 1cc syringe or possibly a 3cc at largest. It is too easy to aspirate one so little.

SugarHill
03-15-2015, 08:24 PM
oh yes, I have some little 1cc syringes for her. I was feeding my older babies when I checked on her and set it next to her for scale. :grin2

SugarHill
03-15-2015, 08:49 PM
video is at http://youtu.be/6_tz49K8vyI

poor thing...I'm so worried about her.

SammysMom
03-15-2015, 08:53 PM
Yeah, she's in scary shape... I will keep her in my prayers. Do you have any cipro or Baytril?

SugarHill
03-15-2015, 08:56 PM
sadly no...the SMZ is all I have in the way of Ab. Let me see if my mentor is available; I'd bet she'd have some.

SammysMom
03-15-2015, 08:58 PM
You really need Baytril or Cipro. SHe is in rough shape. SMZ is good, but slow acting

SugarHill
03-15-2015, 09:39 PM
thank goodness my mentor had some; I just went and picked it up. It's Baytril 100mg/mL...SammysMom, if you're still there, please help me translate that into cc's

SugarHill
03-15-2015, 09:57 PM
thank goodness my mentor had some; I just went and picked it up.

SugarHill
03-15-2015, 09:57 PM
video is at http://youtu.be/6_tz49K8vyI

poor thing...I'm so worried about her.

SugarHill
03-15-2015, 10:01 PM
I'd like to double-check the dosing for 90g squirrel, with 100mg/ml Baytril. Does 0.4cc sound right?

stepnstone
03-15-2015, 10:10 PM
Should not be 0.4 - Not .4 No!
Should be 0.04 - That's .04
Please tell me you haven't already dosed this baby .4

SugarHill
03-15-2015, 10:36 PM
perfect; thank you! those decimals always get me. No I didn't give 0.4. Just now gave her approx. 0.04

stepnstone
03-15-2015, 10:44 PM
perfect; thank you! those decimals always get me. No I didn't give 0.4. Just now gave her approx. 0.04

Thank you Jesus!!

...Now I got to go calm myself!

stepnstone
03-15-2015, 10:48 PM
You do have her on heat right?
Just looked at video, poor little baby.
Sending all my prayers...

SugarHill
03-15-2015, 10:55 PM
thank you, yes, she's on low heat, lots of fleecies :Love_Icon

stepnstone
03-15-2015, 11:02 PM
Don't know if you know or have been told this...
She should be given some type probiotic, yogurt, whatever, 2 hours
before or 2 hours after the ab so ab don't cause stomach upset.

SugarHill
03-16-2015, 05:33 AM
thank you, yes, I've added some pro-biotic to her formula. I checked on her every two hours last night; at 2:30am and 4:30am she was still gasping/mouth-breathing. At 6am, she seems to be breathing normally, and ate the most formula she has yet. Fingers-crossed, hopefully...she may be on the mend?

SammysMom
03-16-2015, 07:01 AM
Thank goodness! And thank you Stepnstone!!!:Love_Icon

stepnstone
03-16-2015, 12:01 PM
thank you, yes, I've added some pro-biotic to her formula. I checked on her every two hours last night; at 2:30am and 4:30am she was still gasping/mouth-breathing. At 6am, she seems to be breathing normally, and ate the most formula she has yet. Fingers-crossed, hopefully...she may be on the mend?

How many days have you been advised to administer the baytril?

Nancy in New York
03-16-2015, 12:21 PM
That miracle nipple on the syringe, is that stained?
Sometimes when syringes or nipples are stored for the off season,
if they are NOT completely dry they can form mold.
Does that come off if you take a little brush to it, something like a
clean toothbrush would work fine.

LaurelLynn
03-16-2015, 01:06 PM
When I had to give baytril, I went to the pharmacy and bought the smallest unit insulin syringe they had. Worked awesome for getting such a small dose perfect! I believe the ones I got were 0.3 cc/ml/units so giving my dose (which was only 0.011) was actually possible

I just bent the little needle back and forth to snap it off once I was able to switch from injection to oral administration

:Love_Icon sending healing thoughts

SugarHill
03-16-2015, 07:19 PM
How many days have you been advised to administer the baytril?

Between 3-5 days for the Baytril, twice a day...thoughts?

SugarHill
03-16-2015, 07:21 PM
When I had to give baytril, I went to the pharmacy and bought the smallest unit insulin syringe they had. Worked awesome for getting such a small dose perfect! I believe the ones I got were 0.3 cc/ml/units so giving my dose (which was only 0.011) was actually possible

I just bent the little needle back and forth to snap it off once I was able to switch from injection to oral administration

:Love_Icon sending healing thoughts

Thank you LauraLynn!! I don't have any syringes that tiny, but it would certainly help in situations like these! I'll check next time I have to pick up my prescriptions. Thank you! Baby seems to be a little feeling better, eating well.

SugarHill
03-16-2015, 07:24 PM
That miracle nipple on the syringe, is that stained?
Sometimes when syringes or nipples are stored for the off season,
if they are NOT completely dry they can form mold.
Does that come off if you take a little brush to it, something like a
clean toothbrush would work fine.

Hi, yes, thank you Nancy. It comes off with my fingernail. I soaked them in hot water, a little bleach at the end of the season last fall. I try to rinse them off (fill and eject hot water to rinse inside and outside) after each feeding, but I don't think the rinsing takes care of the grooves on the outside. How thoroughly do you clean them after each feeding?

LaurelLynn
03-16-2015, 07:31 PM

Hmmm my girl got it once a day for 10 days, first day was a doubled loading dose .. I'm curious what others do

Nancy in New York
03-16-2015, 08:18 PM
Hi, yes, thank you Nancy. It comes off with my fingernail. I soaked them in hot water, a little bleach at the end of the season last fall. I try to rinse them off (fill and eject hot water to rinse inside and outside) after each feeding, but I don't think the rinsing takes care of the grooves on the outside. How thoroughly do you clean them after each feeding?

You know I have noticed on some of mine, that even with a toothbrush some of that darker stuff just doesn't come off. :dono
I never use bleach, that just scares me with putting that on anything that goes in a squirrels mouth. :tilt
After each feeding, I typically just clean with HOT water, like you do, and flush it out with the syringe. At the last feeding for the day, then I do a little detergent and a thorough rince.
Once a week, I will take them all and clean with a toothbrush and dish detergent. SammysMom sometimes soaks hers in Chlorhexidine Disinfectant so I will be doing that as well.
Those little grooves are HARD to clean is right! :shakehead A toothbrush works best for that.:thumbsup

stepnstone
03-16-2015, 08:23 PM

Not good enough, I personally recommend 7-10.
If mine I would do the 10 days.
Will you have enough baytril, if not can you get more?

LaurelLynn
03-16-2015, 08:39 PM
Not good enough, I personally recommend 7-10.
If mine I would do the 10 days.
Will you have enough baytril, if not can you get more?

Do you usually do once a day or twice a day dosing? I'm curious cause that would make a big difference (double) in the total daily amount being given. I want to know as much as possible what most rehabbers do

SugarHill
03-16-2015, 08:43 PM
I do twice a day for the SMZ and also now for the Baytril. I have enough for 7-10 days so I will probably continue until we are out.

Nancy in New York
03-16-2015, 08:43 PM
Do you usually do once a day or twice a day dosing? I'm curious cause that would make a big difference (double) in the total daily amount being given. I want to know as much as possible what most rehabbers do

IF you dose twice daily, you are still giving the same amount as you would if you only dose once. You just break the daily dose in half and dose twice.
Some people like to do the once a day dosing, because some babies are so difficult to dose, and Baytril is one drug that you can give once daily if that's what you desire.

SugarHill
03-16-2015, 08:45 PM
You know I have noticed on some of mine, that even with a toothbrush some of that darker stuff just doesn't come off. :dono
I never use bleach, that just scares me with putting that on anything that goes in a squirrels mouth. :tilt
After each feeding, I typically just clean with HOT water, like you do, and flush it out with the syringe. At the last feeding for the day, then I do a little detergent and a thorough rince.
Once a week, I will take them all and clean with a toothbrush and dish detergent. SammysMom sometimes soaks hers in Chlorhexidine Disinfectant so I will be doing that as well.
Those little grooves are HARD to clean is right! :shakehead A toothbrush works best for that.:thumbsup

Ok, good, I was about to feel bad about having dirty nipples :embar

Nancy in New York
03-16-2015, 08:46 PM
IF you are dosing 0.04, that amount is for the entire day.
IF you are dosing twice daily the amount should be 0.02
Remember to give probiotics 2 hours prior and 2 hours after giving any antibiotic.

LaurelLynn
03-16-2015, 08:55 PM
IF you dose twice daily, you are still giving the same amount as you would if you only dose once. You just break the daily dose in half and dose twice.
Some people like to do the once a day dosing, because some babies are so difficult to dose, and Baytril is one drug that you can give once daily if that's what you desire.

Thanks! I just have always done once daily (I'm usually giving by injection and don't want to be poking any more than needed) so that's great to know

stepnstone
03-16-2015, 11:38 PM
I do twice a day for the SMZ and also now for the Baytril. I have enough for 7-10 days so I will probably continue until we are out.

Just to clarify... this baby is only being given the baytril correct?
And you do understand the 0.04 is for once a day and would need
to be split (0.02) for twice a day??

SugarHill
03-17-2015, 07:52 AM
Just to clarify... this baby is only being given the baytril correct?
And you do understand the 0.04 is for once a day and would need
to be split (0.02) for twice a day??

yes, she's been getting the 0.04 dose split up into two each day, since I picked it up the other night. I originally started her on the SMZ (gave her one dose of SMZ Sunday around 5pm) on Sunday when I first got her, but when she got worse, I started the Baytril. I wasn't going to do any more SMZ, unless you think I should? Also, I've added probiotics to her formula for two of her feedings, on either side of the baytril doses. Her poops have been a little softer than normal, but still formed/shaped.

Nancy in New York
03-17-2015, 07:58 AM
yes, she's been getting the 0.04 dose split up into two each day, since I picked it up the other night. I originally started her on the SMZ (gave her one dose of SMZ Sunday around 5pm) on Sunday when I first got her, but when she got worse, I started the Baytril. I wasn't going to do any more SMZ, unless you think I should? Also, I've added probiotics to her formula for two of her feedings, on either side of the baytril doses. Her poops have been a little softer than normal, but still formed/shaped.

Perfect. She doesn't need the SMZ, so just continue dosing the Baytril as you are at 0.02 twice daily and you should be good to go.
I get the CVS probiotic capsules, pull them apart and put a little pinch in their formula.
Guesstimating about the size of 1/4 of the top of an eraser, just enough to fill this circle. ->o should be good!
It has a slight vanilla taste, so it should be no problem getting them to take this.:hug