PDA

View Full Version : Ivermectin for a wild female squirrel

TheSquirrel
03-09-2015, 04:18 AM
Hi,
Please can you advise me if it is okay to give a dose of ivermectin to a wild adult female squirrel.

I am asking because it's baby season and I have no idea whether this squirrel may or may not have babies or be expecting etc. I can't tell as it's wild. I can tell when an adult female is lactating but that's only after she has been feeding a while and sitting in a certain position so I can see the underneath of her, and there's no way of telling if she is expecting.

I know how to give the ivermectin and I have the liquid injectible 1% ivermectin and an insulin syringe and will give a 0.005 ml dose in peanut butter on a nut, but just want to check whether it's okay should this squirrel be expecting babies etc. She has a bald patch on her back. I noticed over a month ago that there was a tiny bald spot, but then it wasn't so noticeable until this week when I noticed the bald patch has grown quite a bit -now about the size of a small coin. I don't see her everyday either, but have known her for 2 and a half years.

Any advice appreciated.
Thank you

Delo729
03-09-2015, 12:11 PM
We successfully ivermectin treated a pregnant wildling. By success I mean her mange was cleared up (she had it bad) but she didn't carry the babies full term. Please don't ask how I actually know that....not a story I wanna tell

TheSquirrel
03-10-2015, 09:52 AM
Thanks for your reply.
If anyone else has experience or advice, please share too.

SugarHill
03-10-2015, 10:13 AM
just sent you a pm :hug