PDA

View Full Version : Looking for help!! Please!

3jsmom89
03-02-2015, 04:29 PM
Can someone message me? I have no idea how to work this site lol.i need help with what to feed two male3-4week old squirrels. I did order the fv formula, the bag I recieved is grainy after mixing. I need to know if that's ok? Or what should I be giving them!

3jsmom89
03-02-2015, 04:36 PM
Hi I need help with 2 male baby squirrels about 3-4 weeks old. 51-52 grams. I ordered the fv formula from Henry's pets and after mixing it, it was grainy. I contacted them and they assured me that it was fine. However after reading all the posts on here I didn't feed them it! I need to know what I need to feed them and if someone can send me a link to what exactly I need to order so I can get that done! Thanks in advance

Nancy in New York
03-02-2015, 04:45 PM
Can you get Puppy Esbilac (powdered) this is your best choice for little ones.
They should sell this in any pet store. Make sure you get the can that says prebiotics and probiotics on the top.
I will post a photo of the correct can. Give me a minute.
We have been having this issue with Fox Valley, and it's so disappointing as this
use to be the go to formula.
What Fox Valley formula did you order?
I am moving your thread to the emergency section to get more eyes on if I'm not here.

Here you go.
See the blue banner around the top? This is the one you want.

Nancy in New York
03-02-2015, 05:01 PM
I just emailed this member to let her know there is help for her here.

3jsmom89
03-02-2015, 05:02 PM
Thank you so much! I will get that right away! I ordered the 20/50 formula from fv. I have had them about a little over a week and they were about 41g I've gotten them up to 52 in that time but one is starting to look a little thin in the legs, I was feeding kitten formula until the fv came :( I didn't know, I thought I was doing good. I found this site and it's helped so much.

3jsmom89
03-02-2015, 05:13 PM
I'm unable to find the kind with pre and probiotics. I can find the can without the blue banner but not with :( I'll be ordering it as I live in a small town. There are not pet stores around here. I was hoping to find it online. Does anyone know a site that carries the correct kind?

island rehabber
03-02-2015, 05:29 PM
I've been looking all over online to the usual vendors, trying to find Esbilac with probiotics added -- nowhere! Not even Amazon. I can't figure out what's going on....I've always been able to stop into a Petco and pick it up, or a Petland Discount (smaller chain)......I will keep looking for you.

Does anyone know if PetAg changed the labelling yet again? :dono

3jsmom89
03-02-2015, 05:32 PM
I did find a can from pet ag that had the pre and probiotics I will see if I can find it, maybe they did change the label. It also indicates u can use it on puppies and small animals suc as squirrels. Hopefully this is the case

AnnieRN
03-02-2015, 05:36 PM
I did find a can from pet ag that had the pre and probiotics I will see if I can find it, maybe they did change the label. It also indicates u can use it on puppies and small animals suc as squirrels. Hopefully this is the case

Jeffers Pet supply, has it. They are local in Alabama but also have a website. If I need to send some I can I have some extra until you can get yours.

3jsmom89
03-02-2015, 05:44 PM
http://www.petag.com/product/dog-milk-replacers/goats-milk-esbilac-powder/ Would this be the same? Says for squirrel use also?

3jsmom89
03-02-2015, 05:49 PM
AnnieRN, I did not see it on the Jeffers site, am I missing it?

pappy1264
03-02-2015, 05:52 PM
No, not the goatsmilk one.

3jsmom89
03-02-2015, 05:56 PM
Jeffers Pet supply, has it. They are local in Alabama but also have a website. If I need to send some I can I have some extra until you can get yours.

I'm not able to find it on that site? Im more than happy to pay you for what u send me! Are u located near the Jeffers store? Maybe u could purchase the can and I could buy it from you?

3jsmom89
03-02-2015, 05:57 PM
No, not the goatsmilk one.

I'm getting so upset :( I can't find that can with the probiotics and prebiotics

pappy1264
03-02-2015, 05:59 PM
I just sent a message to PetAg asking. I cannot find it either, even on their site! OH OH!

CritterMom
03-02-2015, 06:01 PM
Hang on, don't get upset.

I believe there has been a label change.

This is from the Tractor Supply site: http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/esbilacreg%3B-powder-puppy-milk-replacer-12-oz

Regardless of where you go, look at the ingredients. The 3rd or 4th ingredient should say "Dried Whey Protein Concentrate."

CritterMom
03-02-2015, 06:03 PM
I don't think that Pet Ag ever updated their site from when they had the stuff we had trouble with on it. It looks like they have removed the banner. People need to look on the ingredient label for the "dried whey protein" now.

I need to go to a Petco tomorrow and will see what their cans look like...something is up.

HRT4SQRLS
03-02-2015, 06:03 PM
I've been looking all over online to the usual vendors, trying to find Esbilac with probiotics added -- nowhere! Not even Amazon. I can't figure out what's going on....I've always been able to stop into a Petco and pick it up, or a Petland Discount (smaller chain)......I will keep looking for you.

Does anyone know if PetAg changed the labelling yet again? :dono

http://www.amazon.com/EsbilacŪ-Powder-Milk-Replacer-Puppies/dp/B0002ASRZ8/ref=pd_sim_petsupplies_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=1GAJRSZD76N2NH286D80

Even though the picture on the can is the OLD Esbilac puppy formula, it is my understanding that the product is indeed the NEW Esbilac puppy formula with probiotics and prebiotics. I believe these are old stock photos. I had a conversation with someone at PetAg about a year ago and they told me that they are no longer making the old Esbilac. The only Esbilac puppy formula is the one with probiotics and prebiotics. Those that ordered from Amazon did get the correct formula.

The product in my local stores does have the blue band at the top. Even last year the new can design did not show up online.

AnnieRN
03-02-2015, 06:05 PM
I do live right next to Jeffers. I will do whatever I need to do. Just let me know. I want to help these sweet babies. Do you have syringes and nipples?

CritterMom
03-02-2015, 06:20 PM
I hope you understood all that. If you have someplace in town that sells this, like a Tractor Supply, just grab the powdered puppy formula - the regular, not the goats milk, turn the can over and read the ingredient label. The 3rd or 4th item should be the whey protein concentrate. If you want to continue reading down the list you will eventually come to the probiotics in there too.

It is the whey protein that makes the Esbilac easier to digest, and why we are using it now. The blue band on the can was really handy to tell people which can to buy - the probiotics didn't really have anything to do with why we are feeding it - it was easier to send people after a bright blue banner than a teeny line about "whey protein."

What you can buy locally should be the right stuff, regardless of whether there is a little blue banner on the can.

3jsmom89
03-02-2015, 06:32 PM
Thank you all so much!

HRT4SQRLS
03-02-2015, 06:33 PM
The blue band is still on the product. I'm in the pet retailer frequently buying meal worms. The can hasn't changed (again) ... blue band intact. :grin2

If you go to the PetAg website, even they are still using the old pic of the can. Maybe one day they will update the pic for online sales. :tilt

3jsmom89
03-02-2015, 06:34 PM
I do live right next to Jeffers. I will do whatever I need to do. Just let me know. I want to help these sweet babies. Do you have syringes and nipples?

Thanks so much, I will let u know tomorrow if we don't find they changed their label. I hate to burden u if I don't need to

CritterMom
03-02-2015, 06:35 PM
The blue band is still on the product. I'm in the pet retailer frequently buying meal worms. The can hasn't changed (again) ... blue band intact. :grin2

If you go to the PetAg website, even they are still using the old pic of the can. Maybe one day they will update the pic for online sales. :tilt

It isn't only the old pic - they still have the old ingredient list! Considering how much business they lost with that stuff you would think a company that size could spend a buck and fix their company website to reflect the accurate info! And a lot of online vendors are grabbing that info from their site and using it. Sigh.

3jsmom89
03-02-2015, 06:35 PM

So the kind without the blue band is the same thing, is this what your saying?

AnnieRN
03-02-2015, 06:36 PM
I don't mind at all, it is not an inconvience to me. I have got several things if you need them I will send a care box.

CritterMom
03-02-2015, 06:38 PM
So the kind without the blue band is the same thing, is this what your saying?

Yup. And chances are pretty good that when it gets to you, it will have the blue banner on it.

Annabelle's papa
03-02-2015, 06:38 PM
Amen I just saw some Esbilac at our Tractor Supply yesterday, it had the banner, however I didn't check the expire date.:dono

3jsmom89
03-02-2015, 06:39 PM
I don't think that Pet Ag ever updated their site from when they had the stuff we had trouble with on it. It looks like they have removed the banner. People need to look on the ingredient label for the "dried whey protein" now.

I need to go to a Petco tomorrow and will see what their cans look like...something is up.

Thank you so much!

HRT4SQRLS
03-02-2015, 06:47 PM
It isn't only the old pic - they still have the old ingredient list! Considering how much business they lost with that stuff you would think a company that size could spend a buck and fix their company website to reflect the accurate info! And a lot of online vendors are grabbing that info from their site and using it. Sigh.

You are correct. :grin2 The ingredient list wasn't updated either. It almost drove me crazy! That's why I called them.

Annabelle's papa
03-02-2015, 06:47 PM
Hi 3jsmom89, do You not have a Tractor Supply or feed and seed store nearby?:)

3jsmom89
03-02-2015, 06:51 PM
I don't mind at all, it is not an inconvience to me. I have got several things if you need them I will send a care box.

I'm a little skeptic on ordering the other can without the banner. You do have the can with the banner correct? If so id go ahead and buy a can from you! I do already have nipples and syringes. Just let me know how I can get ahold of you to set this up, I appreciate it very much. If I knew how to upload a pic I would post one lol

AnnieRN
03-02-2015, 06:53 PM
I'm a little skeptic on ordering the other can without the banner. You do have the can with the banner correct? If so id go ahead and buy a can from you! I do already have nipples and syringes. Just let me know how I can get ahold of you to set this up, I appreciate it very much. If I knew how to upload a pic I would post one lol
Yes I have the can with the blue banner.
Pm me your address and I will get it in the mail tomorrow. Also I you want to send me the picture in an email you can, it is corbitt.ky@gmail.com I will post it for you.

Nancy in New York
03-02-2015, 07:19 PM
What are you feeding your little ones now.
We need to get formula into them, but I'm not sure what you're using. :dono

Milo's Mom
03-02-2015, 07:43 PM
If these babies are 3-4 weeks old is there a reason why they can't have the 20/50 until the Esbilac arrives? Chances are they're going to end up on a mix anyway, right?

I know she said it was gritty. Was it mixed with hot water? Has it rested for some time? Was the bag of FV shaken well and tried mixing it again?

Not stepping on toes, just asking questions that make sense to me. :peace

3jsmom89
03-02-2015, 08:04 PM
Milos mom, yes I have mixed it correctly, let it sit, I've tried everything it is still grainy. I read on another post that fv formula was having some issues and didn't want to risk it... I didn't think grainy would be good on their bellys.

Milo's Mom
03-02-2015, 08:14 PM
Milos mom, yes I have mixed it correctly, let it sit, I've tried everything it is still grainy. I read on another post that fv formula was having some issues and didn't want to risk it... I didn't think grainy would be good on their bellys.

Yes, FV seems to be having issues with the 32/40, but none that I was aware of with the 20/50, which is why I asked the questions. Again, not stepping on toes, just wanted to ask the questions that came to mind. :peace

I, personally, have not come across grainy FV 20/50, yet.

Good to be cautious and ask!! :thumbsup

3jsmom89
03-02-2015, 08:22 PM
Yes I have the can with the blue banner.
Pm me your address and I will get it in the mail tomorrow. Also I you want to send me the picture in an email you can, it is corbitt.ky@gmail.com I will post it for you.

I sent u two emails, please let me know if u didn't recieve it. :)

Nancy in New York
03-02-2015, 08:27 PM
I had issues last year with grainy FV 20/50 while Maura was here.
She saw first hand how it stuck to the bowl it was mixed in and the grainy consistency when you felt it.
I believe that Russell also has had issues with the 20/50 recently as well.
Now strange as this may sound, I bought the bucket and had no issues. :dono

Spanky
03-02-2015, 08:31 PM
http://www.amazon.com/EsbilacŪ-Powder-Milk-Replacer-Puppies/dp/B0002ASRZ8/ref=pd_sim_petsupplies_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=1GAJRSZD76N2NH286D80

Even though the picture on the can is the OLD Esbilac puppy formula, it is my understanding that the product is indeed the NEW Esbilac puppy formula with probiotics and prebiotics. I believe these are old stock photos. I had a conversation with someone at PetAg about a year ago and they told me that they are no longer making the old Esbilac. The only Esbilac puppy formula is the one with probiotics and prebiotics. Those that ordered from Amazon did get the correct formula.

The product in my local stores does have the blue band at the top. Even last year the new can design did not show up online.

There are a series of pictures on Amazon now. While the one up front one does not have the banner, there are a series of pics to the left and the 3rd one down is the same pictures as the #3 posting in this thread. So they are confusing us! There is also the list of ingredients, that I am posting here... maybe someone can compare to their can with the banner and see if it is indeed the new / correct formula?252688

Nancy in New York
03-02-2015, 08:56 PM
There are a series of pictures on Amazon now. While the one up front one does not have the banner, there are a series of pics to the left and the 3rd one down is the same pictures as the #3 posting in this thread. So they are confusing us! There is also the list of ingredients, that I am posting here... maybe someone can compare to their can with the banner and see if it is indeed the new / correct formula?252688

This is perfect! Yes I have a can of the NEW puppy Esbilac with the blue stripe and these are the exact same ingredients.
The important ingredient to look for is the third ingredient, make sure it says DRIED WHEY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE!
Thank you for posting this! :thumbsup

Milo's Mom
03-02-2015, 08:59 PM
Just keep in mind while discussing what formula that the babies need food.

Have people had problems feeding the grainy formula? And I feel safe in saying that we all agree kitten formula is NOT the way to go.

AnnieRN
03-02-2015, 09:13 PM

Have people had problems feeding the grainy formula? And I feel safe in saying that we all agree kitten formula is NOT the way to go.

Here is the picture of her babies. I agree she needs to feed something but I will put esbilac in the mail tomorrow. I have a doctors appointment and will do it afterwards. 252689

Nancy in New York
03-02-2015, 09:18 PM

Yup, posted this 2 hours ago at 8:19.

What are you feeding your little ones now.
We need to get formula into them, but I'm not sure what you're using. :dono

AnnieRN
03-02-2015, 09:21 PM
Yup, posted this 2 hours ago at 8:19.

I just emailed her to her private email and asked what she is feeding? She said she doesnt know how to usethe board. I hope these babies are eating something. I was only tryi.g to help, I hope I didn't cause more trouble.

Nancy in New York
03-02-2015, 09:25 PM
I just emailed her to her private email and asked what she is feeding? She said she doesnt know how to usethe board. I hope these babies are eating something. I was only tryi.g to help, I hope I didn't cause more trouble.

Oh sweetie, you are helping immensely! Thank you so much for doing so.
Not sure what she means that she doesn't know how to use the board?
Do you know?
Thank you again for all you are doing! :hug

AnnieRN
03-02-2015, 09:29 PM
Oh sweetie, you are helping immensely! Thank you so much for doing so.
Not sure what she means that she doesn't know how to use the board?
Do you know?
Thank you again for all you are doing! :hug

I'm not sure? I will wait and see if she emails me. :poke

Nancy in New York
03-02-2015, 09:33 PM
I'm not sure? I will wait and see if she emails me. :poke

Thanks honey. Her little ones are CUTE!
You know if she is leery using the FV formula, she can use the GM formula
in the meantime.
If you "talk" to her, just let her know that I copied the complete post on how
to make it.:thumbsup
Again, thank you for all your help! :hug

***While waiting for the Fox Valley to arrive...

Temporary Formula for Infant Squirrels – The Goat’s Milk Formula

Because of recent manufacturing issues, Esbilac and other puppy formulas are no longer being recommended for squirrels or other wildlife. The formula that TSB recommends, Fox Valley Day One, is currently available online at www.foxvalleynutrition.com (http://www.foxvalleynutrition.com/) and www.henryspets.com (http://www.henryspets.com/). But those require shipping and this baby squirrel needs food NOW.

One of our senior members who posts as Jackie in Tampa uses an excellent temporary substitute, and it can be assembled from locally purchased ingredients:

3 parts goat’s milk
1 part heavy whipping cream*
1 part vanilla yogurt

Formula will last 48 hours in refrigerator.

Goat’s Milk
This can be purchased at natural food stores such as Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods, and at most health food stores that sell groceries. It is a product for humans. Do not substitute commercial formula made for baby goats or other livestock sold at feed stores.

Goat’s milk is available fresh in a carton; evaporated in a can; and as a powdered milk. If you purchase either the evaporated or powdered versions, please blend them with water according to the package directions before using to make the formula.

Heavy Whipping Cream
This is found in small cartons in the grocery store near the coffee creamers and half and half. Regular heavy cream may be substituted if it is unavailable, but the heavy whipping cream has the highest fat content, and is preferred.

Yogurt
Yogurt has beneficial bacteria in it that soothes and settles digestion. Full fat yogurt is best, and a good choice that is very widely available is Stoneyfield Yobaby yogurt. However if it is unavailable, a low fat vanilla yogurt may be substituted. Avoid those that have artificial sweeteners in them. Vanilla and banana are both popular flavors, and the sweet taste of the yogurt helps to convince the baby to accept it.

It has been recently discovered that very small pinky squirrels may do better digestively if, instead of being given Fox Valley formula straight, mix the Fox Valley 50/50 with the Goat’s Milk Formula assembled WITHOUT the heavy whipping cream.

*It is recommended that when just starting to feed a new baby that the first feedings be made without the heavy whipping cream. This will give their digestive systems a chance to acclimate from mama’s milk to our substitute without the harder-to-digest whipping cream. Once they accept the formula and are eliminating properly, the whipping cream can be gradually added in.

When your Fox Valley formula arrives, please transition your babies to the new formula slowly, by blending the Goat’s Milk Formula with the blended and liquefied Fox Valley formula, increasing the ratio of Fox Valley with each feeding until you are no longer using the goat’s milk.

AnnieRN
03-02-2015, 09:35 PM
Thanks honey. Her little ones are CUTE!
You know if she is leery using the FV formula, she can use the GM formula
in the meantime.
If you "talk" to her, just let her know that I copied the complete post on how
to make it.:thumbsup
Again, thank you for all your help! :hug

Will do!

3jsmom89
03-02-2015, 09:49 PM
Sorry everyone I was away from the site, I have been feeding them, but yes it's been kitten since the fv formula was grainy. :( I know now this is wrong to feed them that's why I am looking for help. I really appreciate everyone's help. I now how to talk on here I just didn't know how to post a pic of them to the board lol. I really really appreciate everyone and I am soaking in all this info!

Nancy in New York
03-02-2015, 09:54 PM
Sorry everyone I was away from the site, I have been feeding them, but yes it's been kitten since the fv formula was grainy. :( I know now this is wrong to feed them that's why I am looking for help. I really appreciate everyone's help. I now how to talk on here I just didn't know how to post a pic of them to the board lol. I really really appreciate everyone and I am soaking in all this info!

You'll learn the site pretty quickly, you're doing great.
Honestly I still don't know how to resize my pictures, so I just
use photobucket and smug mug and post a link and the photo shows up.
BUT you can also email them to me, if AnnieRN isn't on.
My email is
Actually, I just sent you an email! :thumbsup

czarina
03-02-2015, 10:36 PM
:Welcome 3jsmom89!
Mighty glad you are here! You will find a wealth of information here. Everything you need to know to keep your guys healthy and happy. :squirrel2

I'm so sorry you are having a hard timr navigating the site. But, it will get better, I promise.

:thankyou for helping your 2 little ones. Everyone here, knows what you are going through! Squirrels have a way of changing a person, changing their priorities. Some of us even think they might be magical, the way they enchant us, and steal our hearts. Have they stolen your heart yet? Judging from your posts, I'm gonna say, thats a "yes".

You will find some of the best folks ever, right here, ready to help you 24/7. We love squirrels. Have all lost our hearts to squirrels, and we will do just about anything to help a squirrel in need.

I already see that you have some of the best, helping you right now. So, I will not offer any advice at this time. But please, never be afraid to ask any question. That is how we all learn. As I said, the site is monitored 24/7, so if you have a night emergency, someone will help you. We even can do it the "old fashioned way", ha ha, by phone, if need be.

This is the one place you can talk squirrel. Your friends and family will get tired of it, BUT we never do! And, the more pictures, the better.

The wonderful world of squirrels~ will make you "a little crazy", it will cause you to worry 24/7, especially about :poop, you will spend enormous amounts of money, that you can't afford, you will become addicted to this site, and you will love every moment of it!

It will get easier, I promise!

We are very glad you are here!

:squirrel1:sqrrl7:sqrrl9:drama:fluff1:jeffrey:squi rrel3:krista:peek1:squirrel4:piglet:nutty

Nancy in New York
03-02-2015, 11:48 PM
Here's a photo that 3jsmom89 sent to me of her Fox Valley.
I know myself I DID have a problem with the 20/50 once. I preload my syringes, and the formula
would stick in the nipple hole from the "sludge" after about 10 minutes. You couldn't
even push the formula out! :shakehead
The 32/40 was worse. :shakehead

From her email, this is what she said.

I want to send u a pic of the fox valley formula I recieved, maybe u can share it with everyone as I can't figure out how to upload a picture on there yet. It was mixed with hot water and I even tried letting it to sit, no luck all the grains just fell and settled to the bottom!

http://nmognoni.smugmug.com/photos/i-kc7whp8/0/M/i-kc7whp8-M.jpg (http://nmognoni.smugmug.com/Other/TSB-resizing-2/n-GmzqZ/i-kc7whp8/A)

Milo's Mom
03-03-2015, 01:56 AM
Wait a minute. Is this what you've all been talking about these last 2 years? The way that bottle looks with the FV on the sides and how after you allow it to sit awhile it settles?

My FV has done that since forever. Like back with The Fuzzy Five...ever since I started using FV. It's always done that.

I thought that was normal. As for the settling, I just stir it. Of course it's going to settle. Anything that is reconstituted from a powder will. Kool-Aid, Tang, Meds, Emergen-C, etc. Heck even plain sugar water settles (after the sugar is totally dissolved too)! I think maybe things that are freeze dried like powdered milk might not settle...not totally sure have not used it in decades.

I just stir it well, microwave it for a couple seconds (length depending on how much I'm using), stir well again and after every couple syringes I stir between refills. I don't ever prefill syringes and the water bath thing has ended up not working well for me...the floor, counter, squirrel and me end up covered in water, the formula is cold and the nipples and syringes are a drippy wet mess. I use a mug and coffee warmer and refill as I go. Saves money on syringes and nipples too!

Even last year when I used Esbilac it settled. Harder to tell since it's a different color, but it absolutely settled. Maybe not as quickly as FV, but it, without a doubt, settled.

I thought the stuff on the sides of the bottle was fat or whey or something...like the stuff left on the side of a glass when you drink whole or raw milk...that looks grainy.

Sort of at a loss. I've been feeding FV that does exactly that for 5 years now. Wow, I had no clue that's what you've all been meaning all this time. :eek :thinking :dono

This may not be the thread to discuss this and I'm sorry I thread-jacked. Just stunned.

RobinTN
03-03-2015, 03:32 AM
::thankyou for helping your 2 little ones. Everyone here, knows what you are going through! Squirrels have a way of changing a person, changing their priorities. Some of us even think they might be magical, the way they enchant us, and steal our hearts. Have they stolen your heart yet? Judging from your posts, I'm gonna say, thats a "yes".

You will find some of the best folks ever, right here, ready to help you 24/7. We love squirrels. Have all lost our hearts to squirrels, and we will do just about anything to help a squirrel in need.

I already see that you have some of the best, helping you right now. So, I will not offer any advice at this time. But please, never be afraid to ask any question. That is how we all learn. As I said, the site is monitored 24/7, so if you have a night emergency, someone will help you. We even can do it the "old fashioned way", ha ha, by phone, if need be.

This is the one place you can talk squirrel. Your friends and family will get tired of it, BUT we never do! And, the more pictures, the better.

The wonderful world of squirrels~ will make you "a little crazy", it will cause you to worry 24/7, especially about :poop, you will spend enormous amounts of money, that you can't afford, you will become addicted to this site, and you will love every moment of it!

:yeahthat Very well said, Czarina :goodpost

Nancy in New York
03-03-2015, 03:51 AM
Wait a minute. Is this what you've all been talking about these last 2 years? The way that bottle looks with the FV on the sides and how after you allow it to sit awhile it settles?

My FV has done that since forever. Like back with The Fuzzy Five...ever since I started using FV. It's always done that.

I thought that was normal. As for the settling, I just stir it. Of course it's going to settle. Anything that is reconstituted from a powder will. Kool-Aid, Tang, Meds, Emergen-C, etc. Heck even plain sugar water settles (after the sugar is totally dissolved too)! I think maybe things that are freeze dried like powdered milk might not settle...not totally sure have not used it in decades.

I just stir it well, microwave it for a couple seconds (length depending on how much I'm using), stir well again and after every couple syringes I stir between refills. I don't ever prefill syringes and the water bath thing has ended up not working well for me...the floor, counter, squirrel and me end up covered in water, the formula is cold and the nipples and syringes are a drippy wet mess. I use a mug and coffee warmer and refill as I go. Saves money on syringes and nipples too!

Even last year when I used Esbilac it settled. Harder to tell since it's a different color, but it absolutely settled. Maybe not as quickly as FV, but it, without a doubt, settled.

I thought the stuff on the sides of the bottle was fat or whey or something...like the stuff left on the side of a glass when you drink whole or raw milk...that looks grainy.

Sort of at a loss. I've been feeding FV that does exactly that for 5 years now. Wow, I had no clue that's what you've all been meaning all this time. :eek :thinking :dono

This may not be the thread to discuss this and I'm sorry I thread-jacked. Just stunned.

I don't think she has been talking about this for the past two years, since she just got her fox valley. :dono :thinking Are you referring to 3jsmom89's photo she asked me to post? Sort of at a loss myself as to what you mean.:dono :thinking

IF your post is meant for me, this is not what mine looked like.
Mine was grit, and I've been doing this for 25 + years, and I do know grit.

Nancy in New York
03-03-2015, 04:57 AM
3jsmom89, one thing I want to ask, were you using a liquid formula prior to getting the FV?
If so, that is always a much smoother consistency, so perhaps your FV is ok.
IF you put a nipple on it and let it sit for about 5 minutes, see if the nipple clogs.
If you felt the FV after it was mixed does it feel gritty? Are the sides of the bowl
that you mix it in gritty feeling?

3jsmom89
03-03-2015, 08:26 AM
Yes after mixing it feels as if there is salt or sandy grains in it and was clogging the nipple at times. But yes I was using a liquid prior.

Cesta
03-03-2015, 09:14 AM
I bought 28 oz powdered Esbilac in FL at PetSmart yesterday with an expiration of 7/2016. It has the blue banner that says "Now with prebiotics and probiotics". White puppy on the front.
3rd ingredient is dried whey protein concentrate
I am also willing to mail-- either some of this can or there was one more can at the store ($45).
Please LMK if I can help. :glomp

PeteyTime
03-03-2015, 09:20 AM
Does everyone use VERY hot water and shake it thoroughly when mixing FV. Then let it sit in the frig for at least 2 hours to let the bubbles escape before using. It will still separate a little and need to be stirred gently before feeding. I have been using FV for 8 years now and it has always been the same - which is the point I think Milosmom was trying to make

island rehabber
03-03-2015, 09:53 AM
I use very hot -- even boiling -- water, too and I agree that FV does stick to glass and look a bit 'grainy' normally. HOWEVER.....I saw what Nancy was talking about with my own eyes last year, at her house -- the bag of FV that she had was not dissolving, nohow, no way. The granules were large....they even stuck in the syringes. It was definitely NOT normal FV. I know that the milk replacer studies done by ewildagain.org (Shirley Casey) did determine that there are vast inconsistencies between batches of both FV and Esbilac.....I guess sometimes you get a bad batch and there's no way around it right now. :dono

pappy1264
03-03-2015, 09:54 AM
After mixing, it should sit for 8 hours ideally, but at least four, then remix before heating up to feed. I use a hand wisk, it really mixes it well.

Nancy in New York
03-03-2015, 09:55 AM
Does everyone use VERY hot water and shake it thoroughly when mixing FV. Then let it sit in the frig for at least 2 hours to let the bubbles escape before using. It will still separate a little and need to be stirred gently before feeding. I have been using FV for 8 years now and it has always been the same - which is the point I think Milosmom was trying to make

Yes, I too have been using Fox Valley for ages. Mixed it up the same way year in and year out.
We pushed FV constantly as it used to be the Gold Medal standard in formula.
Two years ago, people were noticing a change with their babies on the 32/40.
Actually let me link you to the thread. I think you will find it very interesting and enlightening. :thumbsup
As MANY of the members stated, this isn't their first rodeo using Fox Valley so they KNOW how it's suppose to be and what it is now. :shakehead

While I think I am safe in saying that this is a huge problem all over, not only on TSB, there are those that have not experienced any problems. I count those as lucky! :shakehead

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?41878-FOX-VALLEY-amp-PINKIES-Discussion-Thread&highlight=Fox+Valley

Nancy in New York
03-03-2015, 09:57 AM
After mixing, it should sit for 8 hours ideally, but at least four, then remix before heating up to feed. I use a hand wisk, it really mixes it well.

I use the whisk too pappy! :thumbsup

PeteyTime
03-03-2015, 10:11 AM
Yes, I too have been using Fox Valley for ages. Mixed it up the same way year in and year out.
We pushed FV constantly as it used to be the Gold Medal standard in formula.
Two years ago, people were noticing a change with their babies on the 32/40.
Actually let me link you to the thread. I think you will find it very interesting and enlightening. :thumbsup
As MANY of the members stated, this isn't their first rodeo using Fox Valley so they KNOW how it's suppose to be and what it is now. :shakehead

While I think I am safe in saying that this is a huge problem all over, not only on TSB, there are those that have not experienced any problems. I count those as lucky! :shakhead

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?41878-FOX-VALLEY-amp-PINKIES-Discussion-Thread&highlight=Fox+Valley

Thanks - I guess I have been one of the lucky ones with using FV - I have not had the problems with clumping or debris if mixed well. However, I do remember reading that thread now and about that time I switched to using goat's milk for pinkies for the first 5-7 days as I was have GI problems when using FV. I probably switched based on the recommendations in that thread :) I had stopped reading the board for awhile and am now trying to resume as you learn so many excellent things here, so sorry if I am repeating common knowledge

Nancy in New York
03-03-2015, 01:21 PM
Thanks - I guess I have been one of the lucky ones with using FV - I have not had the problems with clumping or debris if mixed well. However, I do remember reading that thread now and about that time I switched to using goat's milk for pinkies for the first 5-7 days as I was have GI problems when using FV. I probably switched based on the recommendations in that thread :) I had stopped reading the board for awhile and am now trying to resume as you learn so many excellent things here, so sorry if I am repeating common knowledge

What a lot of rehabbers did this past spring and fall was to use Esbilac with probiotics until their eyes opened.
If you don't see the blue banner on the can, look for DRIED WHEY PROTEIN as the third ingredient. Babies were kept on this until their eyes opened ~5-6 weeks. This is no longer just for the pinky stage as many of us were finding problems with the 32/40 whatever their age! :shakehead After their eyes are open, I kept all mine on a 50/50 mix of Esbilac with probiotics AND Fox Valley 20/50. Some continued with just Esbilac and some switched over to all Fox Valley 20/50

Nancy in New York
03-04-2015, 08:27 AM
Good Morning 3jsmom89
Just wanted to mention one thing.
When you get your Esbilac, do a slow transition over to it.

Again, I'm over explaining, but last year some members were confused with how to transition. :tilt

I am only using one CUP as an EXAMPLE
IF you have a cup container, you would add 1/4 cup of the Esbilac formula (that you already have mixed up according to directions on the can 1 part dry formula to 2 parts water)
and 3/4 cup of the formula you are currently using. Feed this ratio for the next 3 feedings.

For the following three feedings, you take 1/2 cup of Esbilac formula (already mixed up) and
1/2 cup of whatever formula you are currently using. Feed this ratio for the next 3 feedings.

For the following three feedings, you take 3/4 cup of Esbilac formula (already mixed up) and
1/4 cup of whatever formula you are currently using. Feed this ratio for the next three feedings.

Now you are transitioned over to feeding ALL Esbilac formula!

3jsmom89
03-11-2015, 05:11 PM
Just wanted to update everyone! The boys are doing amazing and are up to 80g! When do I introduce solids and what do I introduce? U guys are great, there are still great ppl out there and a mojority of them are right here on this site! Thank you everyone! :Love_Icon

Nancy in New York
03-11-2015, 05:20 PM
Just wanted to update everyone! The boys are doing amazing and are up to 80g! When do I introduce solids and what do I introduce? U guys are great, there are still great ppl out there and a mojority of them are right here on this site! Thank you everyone! :Love_Icon
What a great update! How old are the little ones again? Do you have pictures?
Solids are typically introduced at around 6-7 weeks. I like to keep them on formula as long as they will take it, so never wean them off of the formula.
Their first food should be squirrel blocks, you can purchase them at Henrys site.
They are the best block around specifically made for squirrels. They will most likely just nibble on them and basically not eat much, this is another reason to keep them on the formula as long as possible.
Formula is the #1 insurance against them getting Metabolic Bone Disease, so it's SO important.
I will get you a link that will help answer other questions you may have as well. :hug

Nancy in New York
03-11-2015, 05:22 PM
Here you go:

http://www.henryspets.com/baby-squirrel-care/

3jsmom89
03-18-2015, 09:16 PM
Ok I will definitely get those so I have them ready. They are about 5-6 weeks old. One just opened an eye today :)