PDA

View Full Version : bipolar squirrel? sadly i need to rehome

Sara89nicole
02-25-2015, 10:12 AM
Two days ago my fiance and I got two squirrels, fick and thog. The first night fick was stressed pretty bad and when I tried to move him from a travel tote to a bigger cage he bit me. I can understand this as he was stressed and did give me plenty of warning so I was at fault. Once he bit he locked on and shook his head back and forth violently, let go and then quickly grabbed my arm again and again and did the same thing. Roughly the fourth or fifth time he grabbed me I placed my other arm up against his nose and pushed lightly until he let go and I closed the cage. The next morning (yesterday) I let him and his brother out, they both climb on us, eat out of our hand, all is well and ficks calm. We put both back into the cage for a few while we run to town then when we came home both were happy and eager to get out and as soon as the cage opened they came running to us. The afternoon into the evening went really well, the boys played on us, the floor and branches and limbs we have set up for them, they ate some more and all seemed well, even let us pet them as they sat calmly. Then it happened, I got a bag of walnuts out to give them both one. Thog came first and got his walnut and sat on my fiances shoulder and started eating it. Then fick walked up and instead of taking the nut I had he plants a bite onto my fiances hand and tries getting into the entire closed bag of walnuts. When he couldn't get into the bag he jumped onto me and bit me in the shoulder, shocked I jumped and shooed him down off me. He ran into the kitchen then turned around and looked at me so I tossed a walnut onto the kitchen floor which he walks up to, sniffs, ignores and bolts for me a second time,he bit me again this time on the back of my arm so again I shoo him off of me. He runs into the kitchen again and before I can see where he was he came at me a third time, this time going for my head, I tripped trying to get out of his way an he only managed to leave a scratch on my arm and ear then he went to his cage and sat on top jus staring at me. He never ate the walnut either. As soon as the first bite happened thog went and got in bed, he didn't want any part of it. So now at the urging of my fiance I am in need of finding fick a home asap, my fiance will not have him in the house (he is right now). Please I need someone who can give him a new home. My fiance wants to turn him loose but I told him that'd be a death sentence.

Sara89nicole
02-25-2015, 10:21 AM
Please understand that we are both very aware that bites can and will happen,its not the fact that he bit us that bothers us so much its the fact that he kept coming back to bite me multiple times after already biting my fiance that upsets my fiance so much. I was more shocked.

Nancy in New York
02-25-2015, 10:29 AM
You are going to split them up?
Why can't they both be released? This is sad. Their whole world was turned
upside down.
Can you pass them off to someone who will release them together?

This was posted in your other thread;

I'm looking forward to pics. :tilt

I would take it slow with these guys because they are adults. Hopefully they will transition and accept you soon. I'd be real careful though because they bite really hard. :tilt

Sara89nicole
02-25-2015, 10:42 AM
I'm really at a loss right now. 
I don't want to rehome either honestly but I'm having to.
Fick, to me acts like he may not be as tame as I was led to believe, thog is tame even to the point of having no fear of dogs. Thog has been hiding all morning cause every time he starts to come out of bed fick goes after him...if I lived alone I'd keep em both.

Yes and taking it slow is what we were trying to do, we didn't try to hold or handle them we just let them run free in the house cause I don't want them in the cage all day. Yes they let us pet them without freaking out but it wasnt trying to pet them for an extended time...I'm not really bothered that I got bit, its like I said, if I get bit I prob deserved it, and when he tore into my arm I kept calm and kept a level head and knew I'd screwed up. Last night tho I don't get what happened, he was fine sitting there one second and in full on attack mode the next...I mean by the story do u think I did something to provoke him???? ����

farrelli
02-25-2015, 11:11 AM
TWO DAYS and you're already looking to rehome? Honestly, are you sure that having sqs at all is right for you?

Sara89nicole
02-25-2015, 11:18 AM
Again I'm NOT doing this by my own choice Farrelli, I know what's involved with having squirrels, I don't mind getting bit, buying food, spending time, spending money and everything else involved. I do not want to do this...

Sara89nicole
02-25-2015, 11:25 AM
If I'm jus going to be judged for what I'm having to do then I will contact previous owner and we will work something out ourselves, I'm here for help. 😟

island rehabber
02-25-2015, 11:26 AM
They need to go to a qualified rehabber who will prepare them for release. SO much has been done wrong to these two brothers it makes me ill....

* They are healthy, releasable squirrels who were held captive by whomever that person was on craigslist who then got bored with them.....

* They are now adults and pushed into a new home, and we KNOW squirrels are basically one-person animals who do not make friends later in life

*Now they will be split up when each other is all the other ever had......:shakehead

What part of NC are you in? Let us try to find a rehabber who can wild them up and release them...it's what they deserve, as squirrels born to live in the trees.

And once more, folks, just in case you're new to this board:

THIS IS WHY
The Squirrel Board
DOES NOT ADVOCATE HEALTHY,
releasable
Squirrels as PETS.

HappyLittleSquirrely
02-25-2015, 11:27 AM
I totally understand having a significant other "Laying down the LaW" :the_wife Maybe work on him from a different angle :Love_Icon. seems that squirrels needs alot of patience.It's been months,maybe almost a year,and i'm still working with one of my squirrel.

island rehabber
02-25-2015, 11:29 AM
If I'm jus going to be judged for what I'm having to do then I will contact previous owner and we will work something out ourselves, I'm here for help. 

And help is what we'd love to give you. Let's start by finding someone who can release your bitey guy and his brother. :thumbsup

Sara89nicole
02-25-2015, 11:37 AM
Iv tried talking to my other half and explaining that i prob did something wrong and spooked fick, also that getting bit is part of having them, he knows that but sees last night as an all out attack. 😦

Sara89nicole
02-25-2015, 11:40 AM
I would like to show everyone a picture of these boys if I can email it to someone to post for me, my phone won't let me post.

Nancy in New York
02-25-2015, 11:41 AM
How old are these squirrels?

HappyLittleSquirrely
02-25-2015, 11:43 AM
Wanted to say something ,then i will shut up:grin3 When we first Rescued LoLa, after the first week of horror ,my Wife said "You need to take her back or do something,this isn't going to work!" Lol, i thought to myself "Oh yes it is" LoLa had already been jerked around once.I wasn't going to forsake her as-well. It took a little while ,but now when ever i post pics of LoLa on FaceBook,or my wife goes into the Squirrel room,she refers to her " Aweee Sweet Precious LoLa!" :klunk

Sara89nicole
02-25-2015, 11:46 AM
The previous owner said ten months but I'm starting to wonder, we both are. We are also wondering if they are brothers. I have pics of them but my phone wont let me post em. There is an issue with fick as well that we were told was due to thog "bullying" fick but all yesterday fick bullied thog...

Nancy in New York
02-25-2015, 11:50 AM
OK I saw the age of 10 months.
Taking it slow is to keep them in the cage for a minimum of 2-3 weeks or longer. Let them get used to their surroundings.
Is this cage large enough for them?
My honest opinion? They are meant to be released.
They are too old I think to really bond with someone.
There is a small opportunity a person has to introduce other squirrels,
OR to get another person they will accept.

If you look at it this way, by finding someone that can do a SOFT release for them,
you have given them the life they were intended to have. You have given them their freedom,
and you have given them their life back.
If you split them up, the one remaining may turn on you too.
They are each others security, they are the only thing consistent in each other's lives.

They are not domestic pets, as much as you may want them to be.
They will always have certain instincts born in them, and there is NOTHING you
an do to break that. IF you try, you have broken their spirts and they still will not
adapt to what YOU want them to be.

This is NOT your fault, it's in their nature.
And you will never break that, they may surpress it, but you can't break them,
unless they become your prisoners.

I am not scolding you. You are in a bad situation, and they were in a worse
situation months ago.

What size is the cage they are in?

Sara89nicole
02-25-2015, 11:55 AM
I need to speak with someone in private about something please.

stepnstone
02-25-2015, 12:01 PM
I read in your other post where you said they were born and raised in captivity so they are yours forever.
I'm assuming you mean that they would be non- releasable, that couldn't be further from the truth! Wild animals are hard wired with their natural instincts, if being born and or held in captivity changed that, there would be no reason for separation between man and beast in zoos. Your one guy which you already suspect may be older then the other has simply wilded up within his natural instincts and he's at the perfect age for it too. He is asserting himself, going on the attack and biting is just his natural defenses kicking in. For all you know it could be why the Craig'slist guy let them go.
If that could possibly be the "unspoken" reason and you took them back he may just let them go without being properly released.
As IR suggested, let us find someone who can do a proper release for these guys and get them into their natural environment where they belong.

Sara89nicole
02-25-2015, 12:02 PM
I do not wish to break them or make them prisoners, I would never want to be that kind of person 😦 I love animals and always have, iv also always had a way with them ever since being a child.

Sara89nicole
02-25-2015, 12:04 PM
The one we believe to be older is actually thog, the calmer and more tame of the two and wilding up was something that slipped my mind even tho I knew it happened.

stepnstone
02-25-2015, 12:08 PM
I do not wish to break them or make them prisoners, I would never want to be that kind of person  I love animals and always have, iv also always had a way with them ever since being a child.

Then you should understand that their actions is nothing personal towards you and that they are just being the animal they were born to be. I think you already know what the right thing to do is. Maybe not the way you would have wanted things to turn out but it is what is best for them.

island rehabber
02-25-2015, 12:15 PM
Then you should understand that their actions is nothing personal towards you and that they are just being the animal they were born to be. I think you already know what the right thing to do is. Maybe not the way you would have wanted things to turn out but it is what is best for them.

I have put the word out to three NC members to see if anyone has a way to help Sarah89Nicole and these two brothers.

Sara89nicole
02-25-2015, 12:17 PM
I do understand it wasn't personal. The previous owner let them go due to other things going on in her personal life. Please pm me

riefderrico
02-25-2015, 12:28 PM
Bipolar - oh yes! Bite - definitely! A little "51st dates" - that too! Especially at that age. Squirrels do not make good pets, even the ones that cannot be released dear, I'm sorry. Sounds like you were trying to do good but these babies belong in the trees, not in captivity. Once they hit puberty they are not snuggly and they are very moody and they will lunge and bite and draw blood, even to the one person they bond with. You guys are strangers to them and are not their protectors - you are a threat and they are doing what comes naturally. If there is no reason they cannot be released other than being raised by humans, please consider getting in touch with a local rehabber and working with her to get these babies releasable.

If you enjoy taking care of the babies, get to know the rehabbers in your area and when baby season comes you can always offer your services to help them with their load. I know where I live some rehabbers were having to tend to 25-35+ babies last season (way too many for one person without going completely mental). It could be the best of both worlds for you - you get to help and learn when babies are small (cute and snuggly), your spouse doesn't have to deal with getting bit, and these babies get to be where they belong. What do you say?

Sara89nicole
02-25-2015, 12:46 PM
Its more than human raising that makes me question if thog can be safely released, in part its his lack of fear. He was perfectly calm walking around with three dogs like he was one of them...he never looked twice when the door was opened.

Hope everyone understands I'm not trying to fight I'm genuinely concerned about thog being released.

Fick isn't like that, he didn't get near the dogs and he tries to go for doors and even the window he thought was open. If it was spring I'd of built a nest box in my back yard already and set him free, sounds harsh but I sent a pm explaining something to stepnstone.

island rehabber
02-25-2015, 01:00 PM
Its more than human raising that makes me question if thog can be safely released, in part its his lack of fear. He was perfectly calm walking around with three dogs like he was one of them...he never looked twice when the door was opened.

Hope everyone understands I'm not trying to fight I'm genuinely concerned about thog being released.

Fick isn't like that, he didn't get near the dogs and he tries to go for doors and even the window he thought was open. If it was spring I'd of built a nest box in my back yard already and set him free, sounds harsh but I sent a pm explaining something to stepnstone.

Believe it or not, if thog spent some time in a different place, in an outside enclosure where he could see the trees and the sky and smell the wind, he'd eventually forget about those dogs. Although it's true that we do not want our releasable squirrels to be familiar with predator pets like cats and dogs, the truth is that quite often a squirrel will be friendly to HIS dog, or HER cat, that they lived with, but once outdoors they will alarm and hide from any strange cat or dog that comes near. Squirrels ain't stupid. :D

Sara89nicole
02-25-2015, 01:04 PM
That's my biggest concern for thog...I know he's a smart guy but didn't know if that's a potential issue

czarina
02-25-2015, 01:05 PM
Hi Sara. I DO understand what you are going through. And, you are between a rock and a hard place.

Your squirrels are not bi-polar, they are just squirrels. And, in this case, I completely agree with the others. I feel that a soft release is the best thing for them.

I have also been viciously attacked, and it is frightening, not to mention painful. In my case, perhaps even more so, because it was one I had raised from a baby.
I didn't read the signs. I am overwintering a female, who is aggravating my little guy. Their cages are directly across from each other.

But, your guys deserve a shot at happiness, and that is what a soft release would offer them. No rehabber is going to release a squirrel that doesn't want to go. If, either of yours shows that he doesn't want the trees, it will be placed in a home.

Squirrels are going to bite. Hard. Because they have giant teeth.(relatively, I have also been chomped on by horses, ha ha, so, I guess it kind of depends on how we look at it)

But, hormones will kick in again, at certain times of the year.

And also, and I am putting this out there for all of us:

NEVER GO IN FRONT OF A SQUIRREL WITH A BAG FULL OF NUTS!

You never know when that one time will be, but , they cannot help themselves. They are hoarders, and you have all of THEIR loot!

Lets face it, each of us has tried to get something away from a squirrel, only to decide, "oh, well, I guess a little piece of ( insert item here), won't really hurt him/her. BECAUSE WE CAN'T SAFELY GET THAT ITEM BACK.

But in this case, Sara did not raise these guys from babies, and therefore, I can only assume that they will remain unpredictable, and honestly feel they deserve a shot at freedom.

If you have to fight with your significant other, it is not worth it. The animals will sense the tension, and react to it. I agree with Richard. Rehab babies for release. That would take a tremendous burden off of someone.

Another thing few ever consider, and this worries me tremendously, is those that have or plan to have small children. These are wild, unpredictable animals. They may be calm and well behaved and extremely loving, most of the time, BUT, when hormones kick in, they are unpredictable and dangerous. It is true.

SQUIRRELS DO NOT MAKE GOOD PETS. THEY ARE MEANT TO BE WILD.

stepnstone
02-25-2015, 01:07 PM
There maybe exceptions but for the most part the proper process of a soft release done right​ can and will allow a squirrel to become the wild it is meant to be with all it's natural instincts intact.

I as well as many of us have had releases we could cuddle and kiss all over but once released would lose a hand if we even tried to touch them. Nothing personal, just being a normal squirrel.

island rehabber
02-25-2015, 01:08 PM
:goodpost

Sara89nicole
02-25-2015, 01:13 PM
Iv been stepped on by a horse and had a 1/4 inch chunk tore out ta my lip by a dog...

Were not really fighting, he's jus not accepting that I was probably at fault and that's why fick came after me. He is curious about us releasing them where we live tho so we may be able to still see them and feed them...I know this requires time and an outside enclosure. He'd be willing to do that tho. he knows as well that they can't be released just yet.

Could this be an option? We have roughly 5 acres behind our house.

Nancy in New York
02-25-2015, 01:22 PM
IF you are even entertaining release on your property, you cannot allow them to see your dogs.
Personally, I'm not sure about release there, especially with the one being so calm around your dog ALREADY. :dono

edit: You cannot let them be around your dogs regardless of where you release. I should have stated that earlier.

TubeDriver
02-25-2015, 01:30 PM
Hi Sara89nicole,

I am sorry this is happening to you. It is not completely unexpected but it is still a sad thing to have to go through.

You have been given some wonderful (and truthful) advice by really experienced squirrel rehabbers like StepnStone, Nancy in NY, Island Rehabber, czarina etc. I know this is a terribly disappointment but what is best for these squirrels and for your health and safety has been stated and I urge you to explore that option with the members here. They are trying to help, it is just a tough situation for everyone, for you and for these poor uprooted squirrels as well.

Good Luck, I get a sense that you want what is best for these two squirrels even though it may not turn out the way you originally planned.:grouphug

Sara89nicole
02-25-2015, 01:32 PM
We don't have any dogs, it was the previous owners dogs he was so calm with. Sorry I should've specified that.

stepnstone
02-25-2015, 01:58 PM
Posting for Sara...

First is fick and thog together, fick on left thog on right. Next is thog eating a carrot. Third is fick looking out a window.

Sara89nicole
02-25-2015, 02:17 PM
Thank u for posting these for me :glomp iv wanted everyone to see these handsome boys. ��

czarina
02-25-2015, 02:22 PM
Oh what handsome boys! I know this is heartbreaking. And, I did not realize that you had just gotten them. Poor bubs! How confused they must be.

Not sure I would have had the nerve to get them out that soon!

I would think that releasing them on your property is possible, but, you will have to keep them in, untill much warmer weather. Why don't you read up about soft release, and see if it is something you might be interested in doing? You have time to consider it, and truly,when you see how happy their little faces are when they go to the trees, you will feel like you hit the lottery.:Love_Icon

Sara89nicole
02-25-2015, 02:35 PM
Yes I would love to release them where we live and understand warmer weather is a must, were expecting half a foot of snow tonight, brrr.
I will look into soft release and believe its a viable option, my other half actually suggested that maybe we release them ourselves. Plus I would be so happy to see them from time to time around the house, if even only to stop by and get some food we laid out.
Would it be a good idea to keep them in their cage for a few days and allow them to get used to us being around and the house in general?

island rehabber
02-25-2015, 03:13 PM
Would it be a good idea to keep them in their cage for a few days and allow them to get used to us being around and the house in general?

Yes...I would definitely not let them have the run of the place while they are so unsettled. I would also avoid giving them nuts for a few days, and then when you do make it UNshelled nuts (they eat those instead of hoarding/protecting them) and only one or two per day.

They ARE handsome! :grin2

Sara89nicole
02-25-2015, 03:26 PM
Alright, it was my mistake. The nut I did try to give him was an unshelled walnut but I will hold off on them for a few days. They did fine when I gave them broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, meal worms and a strawberry...jus not the nuts. :klunk they also did fine with their blocks. I guess I will give them more time to adjust.

They're absolutely adorable, I fell in love instantly :Love_Icon:Love_Icon

pjjere
02-25-2015, 04:52 PM
You have gotten some great advice and I just wanted to offer my support and thanks for understanding what is best for these young boys. I wanted to share with you that our first pinkie rehab turned on us also at about 5 months of age. We still interacted with her but I would wear gloves, jeans, and a hoodie when I let her out of her cage. I realize now that it was part her maturing, part her wilding up, and part dumb mistakes we had made. We were in the habit of giving her treats when we would let her out of her cage and eventually she would literally go into attack mode when I interacted with her. I would suggest specific feeding times and no treats if you do provide out of cage time. I do agree that it would probably be wise to let them adjust to the new environment for a while before you handle them again. They will get to know you and their feeding schedule and hopefully calm down a bit.

There is a lot of great info here re release process, cages, etc. We released ours in June but there is no reason to wait that long although I would suggest waiting until the trees make leaves to provide food and cover. Good luck and the boys are beautiful! :)

BigNibbler
02-25-2015, 05:16 PM
SaraNicole

YOUR SIGNATURE:
Your never gonna be alone from this moment on,
If you ever feel like letting go I won't let you fall,
When all hope is gone I'll know that you can carry on,
Were gonna take the world on I'll hold you till the hurt is gone

You gotta live every single day like its the only one, what if tomorrow never comes?

You made me wild, then you tied my hands.

Readers must assume those wonderful words are directed at your two squirrels. I hope that is the case, and want to help you. You may PM me for inspiration and encouragement.

I just spent six weeks, getting two incredibly gentle and very comfortable squirrels to accept each other.
I read your words and that you understand etc.
But everyone here is trying to explain that it is very likely that what you are hearing and what everyone is saying are two different worlds.

You cannot split them up. It is wrong! It is not being compassionate, concerned or even human!
Each is the other's biggest comfort and may likely be what keeps them alive if they ever are released.
Furthermore, without them having each other, you would have to spend two to three ours physically with them each and every day, or they will resent and get angry.

IT TAKES TIME.
BEHAVIOR MODIFICATION TAKES TIME AND PATIENCE.
IT CAN BE MANY MONTHS.

Until then, they are trying to tell you something that both of you would certainly prefer did not have to be said. They did not want to bite you. And you did not want to get bit.
You want them to listen to you.
But they too wish you would hear them.
They are the way they should be.

ONE IMPORTANT HINT.
IF you have much time to spend with the friendly one, and if you can enjoy and playfully hold and interact with that one, while at the same time strategically positioning yourselves so that the other one can see and follow your interaction, it will certainly have an affect on getting that one to trust and be nicer to you.

Of course, if that one is deprived of food, hurting or denied something she wants, well, I would be angry too.

jbtartell
02-25-2015, 05:33 PM
I pmed you my number to help you with this in any way you may need.. please give me a call...:grin3:thumbsup

Annabelle's papa
02-25-2015, 05:38 PM
:yeahthat Very Good Complete Cohesive Summary Of All Of The Good Advice Posted By Everyone.:serene

:Love_Icon And All The Good Folk's Such As jbtartell And Others So Willing To Render Help:)

island rehabber
02-25-2015, 05:45 PM
Yes, thanks jbtartell and also thanks Sissy, who behind the scenes has spoken with Sara and, I think, has someone near her who can help. :thumbsup:thumbsup

Annabelle's papa
02-25-2015, 05:49 PM
:serene

Sara89nicole
02-26-2015, 08:56 AM
I appreciate everyone's advice, we are not splitting these boys up :grin3 I relayed all the wonderful advice to my fiance, he has calmed down about the incident and we both better understand what may of provoked the behavior. I am in touch with someone who lives close and she is willing to help, she can release or will help me to do so when the time comes. I didnt let them roam free yest but did spend some time sitting by cage and talking to them. I feed them in the morning and again around 5.

A question, how many meal worms per day? Fick is absolutely crazy about them and keeps eating almost all of them when I give the boys some. :poke

RobinTN
02-26-2015, 10:00 PM
Wait wait wait!!! I've only skimmed this thread, and of course no idea whats been PMd, but I don't think it's been noted here that these two are supposedly WESTERN grey squirrels, not native to NC... Can these even survive if released? To clarify, I had seen the original CL ad, and it said these 2 were born in captivity in Texas and sold online to the original owner in NC, then SaraNicole got them from her...

island rehabber
02-26-2015, 10:25 PM
I don't think Western greys are in Texas....they certainly look like Eastern Greys in the pic.
Westerns are typically found in the Pacific NW... they are silver-blue and have much longer ears....?

RobinTN
02-26-2015, 10:43 PM
Thanks, IR, that's exactly why I brought that up, so experts can weigh in on the breed. I'm totally ignorant in regards to Eastern v. Western, so that certainly helps me feel better about the release question:grin2 What the ad on CL said (and we ALL know how honest CL is...) was that these two had been bred in TX to captive western greys and sold online to the first lady in NC. Of course the ads gone now, just looked, but that's where I got all that

RobinTN
02-26-2015, 10:46 PM
And yes, now that I've seen the difference I absolutely agree these are Eastern. Even KNOWING how CL can be, I'm still gullible...:embar

island rehabber
02-26-2015, 10:49 PM
It's possible that people don't know their squirrel breeds very well, and that's compounded by the fact that there are regional names for certain species that are very misleading. I know in some areas in the Midwest they call fox squirrels 'red' squirrels, and then the true 'red' squirrels are called pine squirrels.....and then there's a deer squirrel and I forget what the heck THOSE really are :thinking .... and then people say Western grey because the squirrel is living in a western state, but it's nowhere near a true Western Grey, which are very rare and live way up in the Northwest. Let's not even get started with the black squirrels that people think are a separate species.....

Phew! I gotta go to bed now....that was confusing. :grin3

czarina
02-26-2015, 11:40 PM
Don't forget to mention the ever ellusive Fairy Diddle! I love that name. What a wonderful name for an animal species! :grin3

And, yes I know it is really a red squirrel, but Fairy Diddle brings wonderful images to mind, of little toadstool houses, and mythical goings on.
I thinK I might be like Shewhosweptheforrest, in wanting to live in a Pollyanna world. Wouldn't it be wonderful? :serene

stepnstone
02-26-2015, 11:51 PM
Don't forget to mention the ever ellusive Fairy Diddle! I love that name. What a wonderful name for an animal species! :grin3

And, yes I know it is really a red squirrel, but Fairy Diddle brings wonderful images to mind, of little toadstool houses, and mythical goings on.
I thinK I might be like Shewhosweptheforrest, in wanting to live in a Pollyanna world. Wouldn't it be wonderful?

http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/smoke/smiley-smoking-bong.gif http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/laughing/laughing-dog-smiley-emoticon.gif

HappyLittleSquirrely
02-27-2015, 12:14 AM
I often thought "Sciurus vulgaris" was quite odd for the scientific name of the Red Squirrel. Don't get me started on the Scientific name for the Fox Squirrel.:shakehead

island rehabber
02-27-2015, 07:37 AM
I often thought "Sciurus vulgaris" was quite odd for the scientific name of the Red Squirrel. Don't get me started on the Scientific name for the Fox Squirrel.:shakehead

Yes thank goodness it only has one 'g' :shakehead.
"vulgaris" is the adorable tufty-eared red squirrel they have in Europe. The funny thing about the scientific name for our little bitty reds that we have here is, it's the longest name of all: "tamiasciurus hudsonicus." Sheesh! :grin2

Sara89nicole
02-27-2015, 08:15 AM
So fick and thog are eastern grays? Learn something new everyday :grin3. So my boys would do just fine released here?

I still need to know meal worm consumption limits?

Also found out yesterday afternoon they love :Love_Icon and I do mean love brussel sprouts! Both at like 3 in a row!!! :multi

island rehabber
02-27-2015, 10:09 AM
So fick and thog are eastern grays? Learn something new everyday :grin3. So my boys would do just fine released here?

I still need to know meal worm consumption limits?

Also found out yesterday afternoon they love :Love_Icon and I do mean love brussel sprouts! Both at like 3 in a row!!! :multi

Brussel sprouts are great for them! My Owena eats them every once in awhile, when she feels like it. It's ok because I love them so I cook the rest. :grin2 Can't help you with meal worms....I don't/can't/won't deal with them. City girl don't handle crawly stuff, nope, sorry.... :yuck :yuck

Sara89nicole
02-27-2015, 12:24 PM
They like their broccoli to but not a great deal so I bought Brussel sprouts and they devoured them. I won't eat em so glad the boys like em so well lol :)

I was born and raised in st. Pete fl an prob would've said no way to meal worms years ago but nowim like eh I'll jus wash my hands :grin2 hopefully someone can let me know cause I dont know how many is to much and dont wanna go overboard with protein intake.

I'm working on getting them on a proper diet as someone has suggested ficks bald spots may be due to nutritional issues and idk what their diet was before I got them. Have also been told it nay be molting, am still straightening diet up so they can remain healthy.

The boys haven't been out for the past couple days and its breaking my heart, when we leave for a few then come back they are always up to greet us and come to side of cage when we walk up. I want so bad to let them out to play jus don't wanna push them to fast.:dono