PDA

View Full Version : siezures

fallensquirrel
04-21-2006, 10:19 PM
Well I hate to say this but this afternoon Ka Thunk had a siezure. I dont know if this stems from his fall but I am worried about it. I sure hope he makes it he is loved by all of the family. I am takin him to the zoo tomorrow so have the tech look him over. (only taking him to the zoo with the understanding that I get to bring him back and release him when he is older if able)

thundersquirrel
04-21-2006, 10:39 PM
ok, but let me warn you....people who know animals but don't work with animals from the wild are more likely to suggest euthanasia. hopefully the tech will be nice, but don't let him/her persuade you to euthanize, at least not right away. tell them you need to think about it, then afterwards you can discuss the situation with a rehabber.

also know, and this is somewhat contrary to what i just said, that seizures are definitely not good. if your dog has seizures, you can take care of it until it gets old and dies. when wildlife starts having seizures.....you can only keep it for so long before needing to decide if it can survive on it's own, or should it be put to sleep.

if skippy shows signs of brain damage, it is very likely you will not be able to release him. if you do decide to euthanize, you can tell your younger family members that he's going to a different rehabber, one that will be able to care for Ka Thunk more efficiently. it's so hard for young kids to know that an animal could have lived (regardless of the pain it would endure) but that you're ending it's life on purpose.

BuckeyeSqrl
04-21-2006, 10:48 PM
How old is Ka-Thunk? The experience I have had with seizures was due to a calcium deficiency that can be treated. Have the zoo check his calcium levels.

My thoughts are with you.

fallensquirrel
04-21-2006, 11:02 PM
he is about 12 weeks old. Should I put some antlers in with him?

BuckeyeSqrl
04-21-2006, 11:05 PM
You could do that. Calciquid works well too if you can get it.

I'm not saying that's definitely the cause, but it could be. Head trauma is a likely candidate too. If that is the case, they can put him on anti-inflammitory steriods that may help.

Hang in there and keep me posted.

Kristi

thundersquirrel
04-22-2006, 01:41 PM
oops i called Ka Thunk Skippy, lol. forgive me. i give a lot of advice on here, and i sometimes get names mixed up.

CliffordandDaisy'sDad
04-22-2006, 02:20 PM
How old is Ka-Thunk? The experience I have had with seizures was due to a calcium deficiency that can be treated. Have the zoo check his calcium levels.

My thoughts are with you.

I agree, I really think most of the squirrel problems and temperament problems are really calcium.

You could do that. Calciquid works well too if you can get it. Kristi

Kristi, I've got to get you to try something for me.

Calciquid is calcium glubionate, not easy to digest or absorb, not as available, can and does give them upset stomachs. Contains nothing but Ca so does not promote absorption.

Prime is a highly refined Calcium gluconate. Totally different Ca. Easy to absorb, has a great sweet taste (no sugar) that they love, does not have any digestion problems. And is much more available in that form, but also because it contains D3 and a lot of other vitamins and enzymes to aid digestion and promote absorption. And it's phosphorous free.

fallensquirrel, you can get Prime at almost any pet shop that specializes in birds. Or online.