PDA

View Full Version : Abscess on neck

Littlewitchprincess
01-28-2015, 01:01 PM
Hello, first off let me start by giving you some back round information on Petya. She came in to my life last september when she had the unfortunate luck of getting hit in the face by the side of a truck tire while trying to cross the road. I was in the opposing lane at the time so I witnessed her get hit then plop right on to her back in the road. I'm always seeing various animal innards and limbs scattered all across that road and knew she couldn't of immediately died from the angle she had gotten hit. I decided to turn my car around, wrap her up in my sweat shirt, and bring her home. That way if she died she would die safe and warm and not have to suffer through being run over who knows how many more times. Much to my surprise after about an hour of cuddling her close to me while she was in my sweatshirt she sprang back to life, although incredibly injured. To start she was the definition of skin and bones, her paw and front leg couldn't support any weight, her tongue had gone through her teeth, and her face was incredibly swollen and torn up. Knowing there was absolutely no way she could be released in that state I brought her inside and set her up a nice makeshift cage. I spent the next few hours calling every vet and rehabber within three hours, all of which refused to take her. Completely beside myself I decided to take matters in to my own hands, there was absolutely no way I'd let this little girl suffer. Using advice I had gotten from one of the rehabbers I spent the next few month nursing her back to health. At first, I had every intention of releasing her, but as more time passed the more she showed signs of things that made me hesitant. First of all she has some sort of constant sneeze (she'll sneeze a few times a day, but she has no signs of illness) no matter what her bedding is, judging by where she was hit her nose took most of the impact so I think it's very possible her carilidge and passages could be a bit funky. That being said she also has issues finding food unless it is less than two inches in front of her, her balance is not at all what it should be, and she has no fear of humans(I'm guilty of enabling this) or cats. She has been outside several times and every time she either freezes and stays on my shoulder or quickly burrows in to my hood or sleeve. For whatever reason she seems absolutely petrified of going outside now. I've tried several times(and in two different states) to get some sort of license to keep her and classify her as a "pet" so I could bring her to the vet.

All of that being said, about four days ago I noticed a bit of swelling on the side of her face. Thinking she may have just gotten stressed and bitten the cage bars I brushed it off. What started as a little bit of swelling has very quickly grown in to a lump about the size of a walnut on the side of her neck. The lump is firm and warm, but has no hair loss or red/black spots in it. She still seems to be eating normally and she's as lively as ever. She also has been experiencing some dry skin on her side that she's been itching constantly. I'm wondering if anyone know of any over the counter medicines I could give her to make the lump go away and any good remedies for dry skin. Not having a license for her has made everything a huge headache and I'm really scared she'll get taken away. I also doubt any Maine/New Hampshire rehabbers would be willing to work with me and help me get the vet attention she needs, although I'm not sure how to really go about asking. I'm more than willing to do whatever it takes to help this little girl out, I just want her to be better and not have to suffer.
I'm also going to attach a picture of a "boil" she's had since a few days after getting hit by the car. It's red and hairless and I always assumed that it was just a scar from getting injured, but at this point I don't want to over look anything.

CritterMom
01-28-2015, 01:07 PM
What town are you located in? I may be able to help you with a vet. The abscess will need to be opened and drained and she should be on antibiotics after that.

TubeDriver
01-28-2015, 01:28 PM
CritterMom knows her stuff and would be a great person to work with in healing little Petya! :thumbsup

Littlewitchprincess
01-28-2015, 01:33 PM
What town are you located in? I may be able to help you with a vet. The abscess will need to be opened and drained and she should be on antibiotics after that.

Thank you so much!! I'm currently in Fryeburg, but I would be willing to drive however far as needed to help my Petya.
I seriously can't even tell you how grateful I am for you offering. You're the best.

CritterMom
01-28-2015, 01:41 PM
Well, you are going to have to - unfortunately all my vet info is in the southern end of the state - but Fryeburg isn't that far. I am going to send you a private message with the info that I have. When you refresh your screen, a window will pop up with a link to my PM. :thumbsup

czarina
01-28-2015, 06:00 PM
:Welcome and :thankyou for saving this one from the road. Wish there were more people like you out there!

You are in excellent hands with Crittermom.

Just a heads up, probably best to stop trying to get permission to keep her. You won't. But, you are alerting some to the fact that you have her. Mums the word, around here.
The less people that know you have her, the safer she is. Very few people know I have squirrels, and its the same with most here. There are only a couple of legal states, so most of us are "outlaws", just trying to help our squirrel friends.

I hope you stick around, there is a wealth of information here, starting with diet, which is extremely important to maintain a healthy squirrel. But, there is information on just about everything squirrel here, and some extremely qualified folks to help with emergencies and everyday problems.

Please keep us updated on your little one.

SugarHill
01-28-2015, 06:26 PM
I had a little boy with an abscess like that. I finally took him to my rehab mentor. The lump was hard & we weren't sure it was an abscess (as opposed to a tumor) and we decided to try to lance it....it was an abscess and IT STUNK- all sorts of nasty green goop came out. He cried and struggled (which made ME cry) but never tried to bite. My mentor had to push pretty hard to get all the nastiness out- it was heartbreaking and really gross. She gave the little guy some pain meds and he stayed on antibiotics for a while and now he is enjoying his life in the trees, living the good, wild life!
My mentor said it was the type of thing I could do, but I wasn't comfortable doing it so she did it. She used a hypodermic needle to lance it on the side- for better drainage.

Littlewitchprincess
01-28-2015, 08:29 PM
:Welcome and :thankyou for saving this one from the road. Wish there were more people like you out there!

You are in excellent hands with Crittermom.

Just a heads up, probably best to stop trying to get permission to keep her. You won't. But, you are alerting some to the fact that you have her. Mums the word, around here.
The less people that know you have her, the safer she is. Very few people know I have squirrels, and its the same with most here. There are only a couple of legal states, so most of us are "outlaws", just trying to help our squirrel friends.

I hope you stick around, there is a wealth of information here, starting with diet, which is extremely important to maintain a healthy squirrel. But, there is information on just about everything squirrel here, and some extremely qualified folks to help with emergencies and everyday problems.

Please keep us updated on your little one.

Thank you so much, I'm very glad I ended up turning back she's been an amazing friend so far. I never knew squirrels had so much personality!! Yeah, I've given up on the state almost completely on licensing, but it's really good to know I'm not the only 'outlaw' ( ;) ) out there. I was so nervous posting on here because I wasn't sure how people would take me being unlicensed and attempting to care for her. So far everyone has been wonderful though, such a relief.
I've learned so much from the site already, super excited to learn more and make my little Petya as happy as she can be

Littlewitchprincess
01-28-2015, 08:33 PM
I had a little boy with an abscess like that. I finally took him to my rehab mentor. The lump was hard & we weren't sure it was an abscess (as opposed to a tumor) and we decided to try to lance it....it was an abscess and IT STUNK- all sorts of nasty green goop came out. He cried and struggled (which made ME cry) but never tried to bite. My mentor had to push pretty hard to get all the nastiness out- it was heartbreaking and really gross. She gave the little guy some pain meds and he stayed on antibiotics for a while and now he is enjoying his life in the trees, living the good, wild life!
My mentor said it was the type of thing I could do, but I wasn't comfortable doing it so she did it. She used a hypodermic needle to lance it on the side- for better drainage.

I'm really happy it worked out for your little one! Yeah, I don't think I'd be able to drain it myself. I'm a nursing assistant so it's pretty much my job to deal with all sorts of yucky stuff, but I don't think I could stomach it, especially if she cries :((

Chickenlegs
01-28-2015, 08:50 PM
Soooooo glad you're here. Critter Mom will move mountains to help a squirrel. From what I hear that would be mountains of snow. That's one lucky little squirrel. So many people speed up to hit the little guys. Your sweet girl has a good mom and will have a good squirrley life with you. They give more than we can ever give them you know.

Annabelle's papa
01-29-2015, 04:48 AM
:wave123 Hi Petya and :Welcome to The Squirrel Board! You couldn't be in better Hands than CritterMom, and Everyone Else Here.:thumbsup

Littlewitchprincess
01-29-2015, 09:30 AM

A better look at the lump

TubeDriver
01-29-2015, 11:41 AM
That really does look like an abscess IMHO. How long did it take to grow to that size?

Do you have any pictures of her lower and top front teeth?

CritterMom
01-29-2015, 11:54 AM
That really does look like an abscess IMHO. How long did it take to grow to that size?

Do you have any pictures of her lower and top front teeth?

5 days.

TubeDriver
01-29-2015, 12:12 PM
Ok, that is good news. No way that could be a tumor, it is an abscess.

5 days.

sandycheeks
01-29-2015, 04:53 PM
It is pretty amazing that formerly wild squirrel will let you touch her belly like that. Even my baby Sandy that we raised would rarely let me touch her belly like that. What a sweet squirrel. :grin3

SammysMom
01-29-2015, 05:22 PM
Crittermom, do you think a warm compress might help to bring it to a head so as to get it to burst?

Littlewitchprincess
01-29-2015, 09:32 PM
It is pretty amazing that formerly wild squirrel will let you touch her belly like that. Even my baby Sandy that we raised would rarely let me touch her belly like that. What a sweet squirrel. :grin3

Yeah she's a super sweet girl! She loves her tummy rubs :P

CritterMom
01-30-2015, 03:01 AM
Crittermom, do you think a warm compress might help to bring it to a head so as to get it to burst?

Petya is hitting the road tomorrow to go to a vet to have this taken care of properly. :thumbsup

TubeDriver
01-30-2015, 04:45 AM
:w00t. Keeping my fingers crossed for sweet Petya.:grouphug

Petya is hitting the road tomorrow to go to a vet to have this taken care of properly. :thumbsup

Littlewitchprincess
01-30-2015, 12:54 PM
Just an update for everyone!
Little Petya just got out of the vets office, her abscess was completely drained and she had her bottom teeth clipped a little bit. She's on her way home now, she's still a bit "drunk" from her anesthesia, but otherwise doing great. I just want to thank everyone for the quick replies. Also I want to give Crittermom, mcfccc, and the great animal hospital a special thank you for working with me and helping me get my little one taken care of fast!
The vet office also gave me awesome information on diets and such for Petya. I'll keep you guys updated!

CritterMom
01-30-2015, 01:02 PM
Just an update for everyone!
Little Petya just got out of the vets office, her abscess was completely drained and she had her bottom teeth clipped a little bit. She's on her way home now, she's still a bit "drunk" from her anesthesia, but otherwise doing great. I just want to thank everyone for the quick replies. Also I want to give Crittermom, mcfccc, and and the great animal hospital a special thank you for working with me and helping me get my little one taken care of fast!
The vet office also gave me awesome information on diets and such for Petya. I'll keep you guys updated!

That is wonderful - everyone has been waiting for news! The one behind the scenes person that you don't know about but who came up with the whole idea was Nancy in New York though. I did not know about this place until she mentioned it! :thumbsup

Nancy in New York
01-30-2015, 04:11 PM
I'm so happy that your little one was seen by such a caring, generous vet.
We are SO fortunate to have as a member a woman who works with him.

I do believe that this is twice now that he has saved one of our little squirrels.
I can't express enough appreciation to mcfccc and the wonderful vet she works with.

And CritterMom, you did ALL the leg work, I just passed along one of the best contacts
our board has.

Thank you again mcfccc, Littlewitchprincess, and CritterMom ! :bowdown

TubeDriver
01-30-2015, 07:57 PM
Awesome update!:thumbsup. Great work!

SammysMom
01-30-2015, 08:24 PM
This is really wonderful!!!:grouphug:Love_Icon:grouphug

mcfccc
01-31-2015, 11:00 AM
I'm so happy that your little one was seen by such a caring, generous vet.
We are SO fortunate to have as a member a woman who works with him.

I do believe that this is twice now that he has saved one of our little squirrels.
I can't express enough appreciation to mcfccc and the wonderful vet she works with.

And CritterMom, you did ALL the leg work, I just passed along one of the best contacts
our board has.

Thank you again mcfccc, Littlewitchprincess, and CritterMom ! :bowdown

I'm glad we could help. The abscess was pretty nasty, so timing was so important. The hospital with follow up on Monday to make sure all is well with little Petya.

SammysMom
01-31-2015, 11:02 AM
:bowdownMcfcc:bowdown

CritterMom
01-31-2015, 11:07 AM
I got a PM from Petya's mom - she will post on the thread a little later - I bet she is shovelling... Petya was feeling bright and happy this morning. :w00t

Nancy in New York
01-31-2015, 11:08 AM
I'm glad we could help. The abscess was pretty nasty, so timing was so important. The hospital with follow up on Monday to make sure all is well with little Petya.

Yes it looked nasty and was growing quickly. :shakehead
YOU and your vet are an absolute life saver, and I mean that literally.
Thank you again for ALL that you do.
If you ever need anything, please let us know.
You have helped us out more than I can ever repay. :hug:Love_Icon:hug

Nancy in New York
01-31-2015, 11:09 AM
I got a PM from Petya's mom - she will post on the thread a little later - I bet she is shovelling... Petya was feeling bright and happy this morning. :w00t

:grin2 What a wonderful update, nothing better than a happy little fuzzer!

czarina
01-31-2015, 12:28 PM
Ooooh, this just warms the cockles of my heart. Another happy ending for TSB. And, hopefully a beginning for a new member.

Nancy, is AMAZING, as always. Is she really the Great Oz?
mcfccc, thanks so much, Crittermom, who is always there to help.

It just does a person good, to come and read something like this. Thanks to all that helped this little one.:serene

Littlewitchprincess
01-31-2015, 06:39 PM

Yes thank you so so so much! You guys are absolute life savers :) I'm so happy my little one seems completely back to normal already

Littlewitchprincess
01-31-2015, 06:44 PM
Update: here's a picture of little Petya's neck. She's doing wonderful, prancing about already! Her incisions are almost closed250861

CritterMom
01-31-2015, 07:01 PM
Did he give you any idea what the bump on her face on the side she was struck by the car is?

Chickenlegs
01-31-2015, 07:23 PM
Warm and wonderful news on a cold night! :bliss:bliss:bliss

Nancy in New York
01-31-2015, 07:26 PM
Ooooh, this just warms the cockles of my heart. Another happy ending for TSB. And, hopefully a beginning for a new member.

Nancy, is AMAZING, as always. Is she really the Great Oz?
mcfccc, thanks so much, Crittermom, who is always there to help.

It just does a person good, to come and read something like this. Thanks to all that helped this little one.:serene

250864 You are really too gracious. :hug
I've said it a million times, it takes a village to save a squirrel.
We ALL do our part, and that's what makes this board so great!
Thank you! :glomp

Nancy in New York
01-31-2015, 07:27 PM
Update: here's a picture of little Petya's neck. She's doing wonderful, prancing about already! Her incisions are almost closed250861

Well seriously, this is just what I needed to read tonight! :serene
:applause

SammysMom
01-31-2015, 07:43 PM
This is a really wonderful thread...:grouphug:Love_Icon:grouphug

Littlewitchprincess
01-31-2015, 11:12 PM
Did he give you any idea what the bump on her face on the side she was struck by the car is?

They didn't mention it, so I'm assuming is wasn't anything to be worried about, but I'll definitely keep an eye on it just in case!

Littlewitchprincess
02-06-2015, 07:21 AM
Update:
Petya is doing wonderfully and has been on her antibiotic for a week now, just one more week to go! However today I noticed a bump where her abscess had started before, should I be worried or could it just be some form of scar tissue or could her antibiotic get rid of it if it is the beginning of another infection?

TubeDriver
02-06-2015, 07:25 AM
Is it exactly where the old abscess is? Sometimes, it is hard to decide if there is some swelling or just a little bump from the healing.

What AB is she taking? Dosage level?

Update:
Petya is doing wonderfully and has been on her antibiotic for a week now, just one more week to go! However today I noticed a bump where her abscess had started before, should I be worried or could it just be some form of scar tissue or could her antibiotic get rid of it if it is the beginning of another infection?

Littlewitchprincess
02-06-2015, 07:34 AM
Is it exactly where the old abscess is? Sometimes, it is hard to decide if there is some swelling or just a little bump from the healing.

What AB is she taking? Dosage level?

The abscess started right in the area on her face then moved down to her neck when it began to grow. She's taking .2cc of Orbax once a day. It's possible the it could just be swelling and I'm paranoid. I'll try and take some better pictures

Littlewitchprincess
02-06-2015, 07:42 AM
Sorry for the poor quality pictures she has a lot of energy today and would rather be prancing around than posing for pictures :p

TubeDriver
02-06-2015, 10:40 AM
I don't see anything there that looks odd. No obvious swelling, the skin is pink not red.

I would watch carefully and continue to take pictures of the site.

Sorry for the poor quality pictures she has a lot of energy today and would rather be prancing around than posing for pictures :p

Littlewitchprincess
02-06-2015, 01:53 PM
I don't see anything there that looks odd. No obvious swelling, the skin is pink not red.

I would watch carefully and continue to take pictures of the site.

Can do! hank you for the fast responses :)

TubeDriver
02-06-2015, 02:07 PM
:thumbsup

Petya has a very serious but cute looking face! :Love_Icon

Can do! hank you for the fast responses :)