PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed: My 1st Pinky

GeralynK
01-28-2015, 12:08 PM
I'm a squirrel rehabber for Gulf Coast Wildlife Resue. This is my 1st pinky. The rehabber that usually takes pinkies will be out of town. It's a 30g female. I warmed her up & have given her 1.5ml of very warm electrostat. She's very healthy & chubby. I have Fox Valley Squirrel formula for less than 3 weeks. I'm starting on 8-1. How often should this baby be fed. My manual says every 2 hours, but from what I've read, they bloat quickly & should go longer between feedings. Any and all advice is very welcome!

SammysMom
01-28-2015, 12:12 PM
Oh you are in for a treat! I LOVE pinkies!!!:Love_Icon First thing though, please don't give FV 32/40 to a pinkie. We have had many many issues with pinkies and not digesting 32/40. It turns to sludge in their bodies and doesn't digest and they pass away.
I lost to this issue as did several other people here on TSB as well as on other beards. Most rehabbers that I know are no longer using 32/40 at all. We have had wonderful luck with Esbilac puppy formula. The powdered type that says "with probiotics and prebiotics" on the can. Are you somewhere that you could get Esbilac?

SammysMom
01-28-2015, 12:13 PM
By the way...that is one adorable chubby healthy baby!:Love_Icon

farrelli
01-28-2015, 12:18 PM
Yes, Esbilac is the way to go for now. When older, you can switch to FV if you like.

SammysMom
01-28-2015, 12:21 PM
When or if you switch when the baby is over 4 weeks old, you will still not want to use 32/40. You may want to use 20/50, but I will tell you that I very successfully changed many over 4 weeks old to a 50/50 combo of Esbilac/FV 20/50.

island rehabber
01-28-2015, 12:27 PM
SammysMom is right on the money :thumbsup. I am the "pinky rehabber" for my area (NYC) and I concur with everything she said. DO NOT use the FV 32/40 until they figure out what's wrong with it, if ever. I started all my pinkies -- some as small as 14g -- on the Esbilac with Probiotics. I fed every 2.5 hours, but if I saw signs of dehydration I would give some honey water in between feedings (1/2 tsp organic local honey with 1 cup very warm water). All did beautifully. At 3 wks old I switched to half FV 20/50 and half Esbilac, and then after eyes opened I went to the 20/50 only.

Like SammysMom, I LOVE pinkies!! Feel free to ask us anything about them! :grin2

NOTE: 8:1 is WAY too diluted. You'll starve the poor little thing. Start with 3:1, then the normal 2:1. Your pinky appears robustly healthy so there's no worry about severe dehydration or emaciation here. If there were, I would start formula at a 4:1 dilution.

GeralynK
01-28-2015, 12:28 PM
Wow! Thank you all for the great advice. I will get the puppy esbilac right away. How often do you recommend the feedings? Woops! Just read your post Island rehabber. Thank you!

island rehabber
01-28-2015, 12:32 PM
:grin2 anytime! :grin2

pssssst! SammysMom! You're jonesing for pinkies now, aren't you? Uh-Huh. me too. :grin2

Chickenlegs
01-28-2015, 12:52 PM
PIIIIIINKY! She's a beauty! SM and IR are pinky queens--the go to folks for raising healthy happy babies. Except for sleep deprivation, pinkies are the sweetest little critters on God's earth. Enjoy! They're worth it! Um--towels--even the microfiber towels can catch their little toenails. Fleece is warm, doesn't catch, and washable. Flannel is good too and very absorbent.

czarina
01-28-2015, 01:03 PM
Ha ha ha. Be careful what you wish for.......................

Pinkies will be here before we know it, and then, well, NOBODY sleeps!

Good luck with your little one. It is a chubby little cutie! :squirrel2

GeralynK
01-28-2015, 01:26 PM
Ok, got the Esbilac & one more question. Pinkies are fed thru the night, correct? By the way, y'all are so friendly & quick to reply. I can't thank you enough!

GeralynK
01-28-2015, 01:38 PM
Chickenlegs, thank you for the blanky talk. The wash cloth in the picture is what the lady brought her in. She had the Pinky wrapped in it stuffed in her bra! Warmest little baby I've ever done an intake on! I had her do a thorough search for any litter mates, nest or mommy & nothing. Just bare trees around. There's two very small scratches or teeth marks, on the scruff of her neck. Maybe mamma got caught transporting to another nesting sight? We'll never know. Thanks again!

CritterMom
01-28-2015, 02:32 PM
Oh yes, fed day and night. Welcome to the baggy eyes club!

Chickenlegs
01-28-2015, 05:46 PM
Chickenlegs, thank you for the blanky talk. The wash cloth in the picture is what the lady brought her in. She had the Pinky wrapped in it stuffed in her bra! Warmest little baby I've ever done an intake on! I had her do a thorough search for any litter mates, nest or mommy & nothing. Just bare trees around. There's two very small scratches or teeth marks, on the scruff of her neck. Maybe mamma got caught transporting to another nesting sight? We'll never know. Thanks again!

Hahahahaha! Now THAT's a lady after my own heart. How cold is it there? I'm glad she's warm and safe. I hope the rest of her family are.

SammysMom
01-28-2015, 05:47 PM
How's it going with this little dollie?:Love_Icon

GeralynK
01-28-2015, 09:05 PM
Doing great! Good stool & latching onto the nipple really well.
I just got another one in tonight, a 55g female. She's really tubby too!

How's it going with this little dollie?:Love_Icon

island rehabber
01-28-2015, 09:15 PM
Precious babies! Enjoy them!
You probably won't need to feed the 55g baby every 2.5 hrs. Eventually the two of them will be on the same schedule but it's gonna drive you nuts for a few days. :grin2

Chickenlegs
01-28-2015, 09:18 PM
Your baby season is starting EARLY!

SammysMom
01-28-2015, 09:20 PM
OMGOMGOMG!!! Jealous as all get out!!!:Love_Icon:Love_Icon:Love_Icon

kcassidy
01-29-2015, 10:29 AM
:grin2 anytime! :grin2

pssssst! SammysMom! You're jonesing for pinkies now, aren't you? Uh-Huh. me too. :grin2

Too funny so am I, plus I can't wait to use my new incubator :D :D

GeralynK
01-30-2015, 06:02 PM
Sorry so slow with the update. My two little tubbies gained 3g the first night and are doing great! I transfered my babies to a pro squirrel rehabber of 19 years. I wanted these two to get the best care possible. I'm pretty sure the larger one is a fox squirrel. I named them Itsy & Bitsy. I feel confident in their continued care. Thank you all so much for the great advice & fun ♡

SammysMom
01-30-2015, 06:24 PM
You did a wonderful job!!! I think they look wonderful! :grouphug:Love_Icon:grouphug