PDA

View Full Version : Update on my crew...

Liza
05-10-2007, 12:20 PM
Hi all- Thought I would take a minute and pop up an update.. My lovely little Lola with Kitten-Fur Syndrome is doing wonderfully. I finally found a webpage that had more details about it in the specific ailment section (quick thinking, huh?:D ) After we decided that was really her problem, I made heat available to her as she wanted (she did take advantage of it, too.. the other two stayed away from it). I started feeding her every 2-3 hours during the day, just a few cc's.. just like she was a teeny infant. It has only been 5 days, and she is like a different squirrel. She is active, playing (!!!!!) trying to climb.. She is down to 4 feedings a day (her choice) and has increased her tolerance to about 6 ccs. I also took away the yogurt and the baby food sweet potatoes I had been giving her. She is now trying to nibble on rodent block, and at least sniffing real sweet potato slices. Her fur is still crazy looking, but not as bad. She seems to be shedding like an outside dog or a horse does in spring?? The kitteny hair is shedding out and under it is real squirrel hair. And she has life in her little eyes at last! Thank you GOD (and my friends here at the squirrel board!)- If she would have died I would have been crushed!:thankyou :thankyou :thankyou :thankyou

The other two are just great.. they continue to grow like weeds, and they have a new love- Grape Tomatoes!! They roll them around and play with them as much as eat them. Its adorable. I read somebody's thread about sprouts, and when my daughter gave me a pack yesterday for salads, I shared it with the fuzzbuttys. Well, they turned out to be daikon radish sprouts. Needless to say, they didn't like them a whole bunch!! (neither did i, sadly):sanp3

Anyway, gotta run.. but thought I'd just give an update-

Have a great day!

Liza

Pam
05-10-2007, 12:51 PM
I am so glad that precious little Lola is doing better. :Love_Icon God bless her!!!

Gabe
05-10-2007, 02:33 PM
Liza, thanks for the update. I'm glad she is doing better.:thumbsup

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
05-10-2007, 03:20 PM
Liza, your group is thriving because of your excellent care my friend...:thumbsup

susanw
05-10-2007, 03:23 PM
I'm so glad Lola and the others are doing well! Keep in touch and send us pictures of them now and again!

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo
05-10-2007, 04:02 PM
Glad to hear everyone is doing good. Keep up the good work.

Momma Squirrel
05-10-2007, 07:25 PM
Great news on Lola :thumbsup so glad to hear they are all doing good, happy and healthy:) Thanks for the update.

LynninIN
05-10-2007, 08:20 PM
Such good news on Lola. Way to go Liza :thumbsup

Do you have the link to the webpage on kitten fur-syndrome? I would love to read it.

Kathy56
05-10-2007, 08:30 PM
So glad she is doing better. Keep up the good work.:D

Liza
05-10-2007, 08:48 PM
Hi- Here is the link to the kitten-fur page.. It was put up by another squirrel boarder.. I think her screen name is Elizalala.

http://www.geocities.com/insect_queen/kitten_fur_syndrome.html

The only thing about it that didn't fit my Lola was that Kitten Fur squirrels are usually malnourished for a number of weeks before they show symptoms. My Lola was found after a nest raid, (by large crows) and brought to me the same day, or that is what I was told. I suppose she could have been the runt and not getting proper nutrition even in her nest, but I find that hard to accept. It may be that some squirrels are more suseptable to the effects of malnutrition -which would explain why some squirrels can tolerate poor diet (don't we all know somebody who claims to have raised a squirrel "just fine" on kitten formula, or that evaporated milk junk, etc?:shakehead ) and some get very sick from even a moderately poor diet?? There must be a genetic component in there somewhere.

I guess what matters most is she is better.. And BOY is she better! Tonight she and Charlie were "boxing"! They were sitting up poking punches at each other like furry prizefighters!!:jump :jump

I'm going to tell dh I want a video camera for mother's day!!:rotfl

Liza

LynninIN
05-10-2007, 09:01 PM
:thankyou that was interesting. Glad you figured it out and Lola is so much better.