PDA

View Full Version : coconut oil; appetite

jamie
01-17-2015, 08:17 PM
is it ok to mix coconut oil in with crushed up block to make balls? I puree the fruit= 4 strawberries; add formula= 2 tsp, whey protein= 1 scoop, small amount of calcium= 1/8 tsp, 2 walnuts from the shell, and crushed block= about 1 tbsp to the coconut oil= 1/4 cup. He eats 1-2 ( approximately 1 tsp each) depending on his appetite in the morning. Then the afternoon ball I cut up veggies or puree= 1 leaf of kale 1 leaf of romaine lettuce 6 sprigs fresh parsley, add formula= 2 tsp, whey protein= 1 scoop, small amount of calcium powder= 1/8 tsp, 2 shelled walnuts, and crushed block= about 1 tbsp to the coconut oil= 1/4 cup. Again he eats 1-2 balls (1 tsp each). Then for late evening/night I give him a mixture of: peanut butter approximately 2 tsp, pinch of calcium,formula= 2 tsp, whey protein= 1 scoop, 2 shelled walnuts to the coconut oil= 1/4 cup. I give him 1-2 balls (he usually eats 1 and saves the other for during the night). Each individual mixture put in refrigerator to get firm. My batter yields about 6-7 balls per fruit cup, per veggie cup, and per peanut butter cup. I give him unlimited kale, romaine lettuce, parsley during the day and 1/2 orange in morning or afternoon.
He started not eating like he was before. He has been hiding his food all over his cage and the room. I find it EVERYWHERE (even in my UGG boot :) !!!)!!!.... He has an assortment of tree branches (that the squirrels in my yard eat), pine cones, and deer antler in and around his cage. He does eat on them a lot. He also has been chewing on the wood from his cage which is painted plywood. I received the cage from another rehabber. I don't know if his squirrels chewed on it. I am thinking so because of the gnaw marks. (I try to stop him but he does anyways). He chews on the wires from his cage.
I just want to know if this is normal and if the food is ok or if I should change anything.
Thanks,
Jamie

HRT4SQRLS
01-18-2015, 08:03 AM
Whoa Jamie :grin2 :rotfl

This sounds WAY too complicated to me. :eek I have no idea about the coconut oil. I do know that it is 'todays' latest magic potion. Tomorrow it will be yesterday's news and we'll move on to something else. I'm not one to jump on the latest trends so I'm not the right person to ask.

Seriously though, this does sound like a lot of work to me. What type of block are you using? Has he given you problems eating block? You're mixing a LOT of healthy things but there really is no way to know if it's balanced or not. I doubt anyone else would know the answer either.

What are your plans for your baby? Will he be released? I'm guessing that he did OK after his antibiotics for pneumonia.

ctmom
01-19-2015, 06:56 PM
Hi Jamie,,

Wow that is a lot of work. I feed mine 2 henry's blocks and I follow the chart for veggies. If they are not eating the veggies than I decrease the amount of treats that day. If you are finding a lot of hidden food, perhaps you may want to cut down. They are hoarders. They chew! You may want to go out and find some branches to chew on. I put the branches in the corner so they can climb also. They get bored easily. I'm not sure about the coconut oil.