PDA

View Full Version : Florida babies fell from palm tree

beethovenlover92
12-28-2014, 07:40 PM
I have 3 baby squirrels about 1-2 weeks old. They fell out of a palm tree. 2 of them seem to be eating well and pee and poo with every meal. They weigh in at 19,20 &21 grams. The third one seems to have head trauma and a swollen leg. His head is black and blue and swollen. He is turning to the right, same side as the injury. The swollen leg is the right front as well. The leg is also red NOT black and blue. He isn't eating very well either. I barely get 0.5 - 1.0 cc in he with each feeding. I have had them for 24 hours now and he has only had 2 poos. The last 3 feedings all I have gotten is pee.

So I guess what I am asking is should I use dexamethasone on a baby this small. And how can I get him to eat better. .

Feeding fox valley, heavy whipping cream, petalite, water mixture. I did start them all out on a hydration dose at first.

Thank you in advance.

HRT4SQRLS
12-28-2014, 07:51 PM
:Welcome to TheSquirrelBoard

If you can get 1cc into him that's probably enough for each feeding. We feed 5-7 % of the body weight. For the 20g baby, 5% would be 1cc.

These are pinkies right. I would be very careful with the FoxValley 32/40. It has been very difficult for pinkies to digest. The milk line doesn't move and they block up. FV once was the go to formula but it has been causing problems with the very small babies.

One more thing we don't mix the Pedialyte with the formula. If they need extra hydration you can give it between feedings.

Are you using a 1ml syringe?

Sorry, I can't help with the Dex but someone will be along soon.

farrelli
12-28-2014, 08:15 PM
Yes, we prefer Esbilac puppy power with probiotics. I know that with head trauma we often tell people how to dose Prednisone. Do you have any?

beethovenlover92
12-28-2014, 09:25 PM
I have espilac puppy powder I guess I will switch to that next feeding. Yes I am using a 1 cc syringe. I do have liquid pred.

SammysMom
12-28-2014, 09:32 PM
What is the strength of the pred? I would really hesitate to use it on one so small unless there is VERY definite neuro behavior. No heavy cream for now. Just go to the Esbilac Puppy powder for now. It will be easiest for digestion. Make it up with very hot (not boiling) water and put it in the fridge overnight. It is okay to use it very soon for now, but for future you want it to be made up for more than 4 hours and preferably overnight before using it. It gives it a chance to truly rehydrate the particles and makes it digestible.
You might want to start out with 1 scoop powder to 3 scoops water and work up to the normal 1 scoop powder to 2 scoops water. I am concerned about all of the sodium from the pedialyte. You will want to flush out their systems to get them on the right track with no cream and pedialyte. I had a lot of trouble with the FV 32/40 with pinkies. I know many have lost them because of difficulty digesting it.

SammysMom
12-28-2014, 09:33 PM
Make sure that the formula is VERY warm, but not warm enough to burn their mouths. Their mam would be 102 degrees so her milk would be very warm. That can make them eat more readily.

beethovenlover92
12-28-2014, 10:41 PM
Ok I will try that. The pred is 3 mg/ cc.

beethovenlover92
12-29-2014, 06:57 AM
I regret to say that this morning he did pass away in my hands.

beethovenlover92
12-29-2014, 06:57 AM
Thank you to everyone for helping me help him.

HRT4SQRLS
12-29-2014, 07:01 AM
Aww, I'm so sorry. At least he passed wrapped in hands of love. :grouphug

How are the other two babies?

SammysMom
12-29-2014, 07:03 AM
This probably a silly question, but do you have their container half on a heating pad with no auto shut off set on low?

beethovenlover92
12-29-2014, 11:27 AM
The other two are doing good. Eating every meal about 1 cc at a time. Pee and Poo every meal.

Yes heating pad never turns off and there box is half on the pad so they can get to the cool area if needed.

crazy4squirrels
12-31-2014, 05:27 PM
If you should need help with anything I am in Hudson and can assist. When it is close to release time I can help you with that too:grin2