PDA

View Full Version : Baby flyer?? Help needed in Newport News, VA

dalejrlvr4life
12-21-2014, 09:08 AM
I am pretty sure I have a baby flying squirrel. I can't seem to figure out how to upload the picture though. Is there any rehabber around Newport News, Va that could take her? She's really small, and I can't get her to eat anything.

stepnstone
12-21-2014, 12:17 PM
Yep, you have a flyer...
Keep checking back, once this gets noticed hopefully
one close to your area will be able to offer help.

SammysMom
12-21-2014, 12:35 PM
I added your location to your title to see if we can get more attention. I will continue to look for a member to help.

SammysMom
12-21-2014, 12:43 PM
Do you have a heating pad that doesn't have an auto-shut off? If you can put it under half of the container that you have the squirrel in so that he can get away from it if he gets to warm, it would be good. Put a pile of fleece or tee shirts in for him to hide under. He really needs to be warm before he eats or drinks anything. Then he will need hydration before eating, so you have a way to go before food is offered. In the meantime we will try to find someone to help. Thank-you for trying to find help!

dalejrlvr4life
12-21-2014, 02:11 PM
Do you have a heating pad that doesn't have an auto-shut off? If you can put it under half of the container that you have the squirrel in so that he can get away from it if he gets to warm, it would be good. Put a pile of fleece or tee shirts in for him to hide under. He really needs to be warm before he eats or drinks anything. Then he will need hydration before eating, so you have a way to go before food is offered. In the meantime we will try to find someone to help. Thank-you for trying to find help!

Thanks Sammysmom! After calling about 10 different rehab places, I was finally able to find one that was relatively close to take her :). I have 2 gray squirrels now waiting for spring to be released, so I knew a tiny bit about how to help her. Buteven after the heating pad, and trying to hydrate her, she just wasn't having it :(. Plus being that she was found in a cats mouth, I wasn't sure if the cat had bit her or what it had done to her. But she is in good hands now with people that can help her far better the I could. Thanks for helping :)

SammysMom
12-21-2014, 02:18 PM
Terrific update!!! Merry Christmas!!!:thumbsup

HRT4SQRLS
12-21-2014, 02:25 PM
That's great news dalejrlvr4life. It was hard to tell from the pic with no size references but your flyer might actually be an adult. If it is indeed a baby it is an older baby and would probably be weaned already or nearly so.

The reason I think it is older is because it has an 'adult like' tail with the flattened fur and fairly smooth fur on the body. It sure is a cute one. Did you get a good feeling about the rehabber?

Chickenlegs
12-21-2014, 03:28 PM
Oh MAN--just got the message. I'm about an hour and a half from NÑ. I am NOT a flyer guru but I have two sweethearts and Sweeper has flyers in her woods. I would have SO taken your little guy. Please let me know if there's any way I can help. I'm just so sorry I haven't been on much and today I was helping a family member in assisted living. He needed some holiday cheer.

Shewhosweptforest
12-21-2014, 03:49 PM
Sorry, I was sweeping my trail:grin3 glad someone was found :thumbsup I would have been happy to help ...next time! :Love_Icon