PDA

View Full Version : Constant Scratching

LSardou
12-06-2014, 08:13 AM
Not sure if she has mites, mange, or fleas. What would be the safest prevention?

I ordered Colloidal Silver, Raw Coconut Oil, and Ivermectin. If someone could give me instructions on which one to use and the therapy regimen/dosage.

I noticed the fur around the inner sides of her ears starting to fall off. The past few weeks she has been constantly scratching all over. The skin looks red under her fur starting at the top of her back downwards. It appears today that her fur is beginning to thin out in spots. I did see a few tiny bumps/scabs in spots.

She is very friendly and sweet. She will come when I call, sit on my shoulder to eat and play.

Please help. I'm worried about her.

CritterMom
12-06-2014, 09:06 AM
Is this a wild squirrel?

If so, it does sound like mange, and in that case, ivermectin is the answer. The easiest way to dose a wild squirrel is with the equine ivermectin. It is a paste or gel pre-loaded into feeding syringes for horses, and is usually apple flavored. It is 1.87% ivermectin:

http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SearchDisplay?storeId=10151&catalogId=10051&langId=-1&pageSize=20&beginIndex=0&searchSource=Q&sType=SimpleSearch&resultCatEntryType=2&showResultsPage=true&pageView=image&searchType=1000&cm_askwd=true&autoSuggestURL=AutoSuggestView%3FcoreName%3DMC_100 01_CatalogEntry_en_US%26serverURL%3Dhttp%253a%252f %252ftsc-prod-lb01.crossview.inc%253a3737%252fsolr%252fMC_10001_ CatalogEntry_en_US%26catalogId%3D10051%26storeId%3 D10151&searchTerm=ivermectin+paste+1.87

All but the last two on this page are exactly the same product made by different companies. The last two have ivermectin mixed with another wormer and you don't want that. I used Tractor Supply because they are everywhere, but any farm store that does any business associated with livestock will have this.

Once you get the paste/gel, empty the entire tube into a refrigerator container that you mark with skull and crossbones and all dire warnings not to touch. Stir it well. There can be separation of the stuff in the tube and you want to ensure that what you dose from has been thoroughly mixed. Keep it in the refrigerator once you open the tube and discard after your 3rd dose.

Dig around the kitchen and get a single grain of dry rice. That is the size of the dose you will use. I use a toothpick to retrieve what I need - it is VERY LITTLE. Don't estimate. Dry rice is smaller than you remember...

As this stuff has been made palatable with the apple flavoring because it is miserable enough giving it to horses when it tastes good!! That helps a lot. I like to use about a quarter of a pecan. Put the rice grain sized bit of gel in the grooves in the top of the nut and put a little smear of peanut butter over it. Keep it small so she eats ALL of it - you can give her the rest of the pecan when she is done.

You will want to redose twice - and you need to schedule it 7-10 days after the previous dose. Do not dose early and try very hard to not exceed 10 between your three doses - you are timing this to catch new hatches of eggs, as the ivermectin does not kill the eggs. So dose 1, 7 days; dose 2, 7 days; then dose 3.

A squirrel you can hold and pet can use Revolution, which is a spot on dog/cat med: http://www.joespetmeds.com/flea-control/revolution-cats-dogs.htm. Get the smallest kitten size. Revolution is a prescription drug but this place ships from Australia without a script. Takes about a week to get it. Dosage is 1-2 drops on the squirrels SKIN on the back of the neck where they cannot reach. Re-dose should not be needed with Revolution and it cannot be used more than every 30 days.

LSardou
12-06-2014, 09:38 AM
Thank you, crittermom. You are always a great help. ((HUGS)) This is my Missy, who I rescued back in September and released her about 2 weeks later. She is extremely friendly, she comes whenever I call for her. She will let me give her belly rubs/ear scratches and loves to hang out on my shoulders.

I bought the Ivermectin from the following place http://www.squirrelnutrition.com/mange-treatment-in-squirrels.html

CritterMom
12-06-2014, 09:51 AM
Thank you, crittermom. You are always a great help. ((HUGS)) This is my Missy, who I rescued back in September and released her about 2 weeks later. She is extremely friendly, she comes whenever I call for her. She will let me give her belly rubs/ear scratches and loves to hang out on my shoulders.

I bought the Ivermectin from the following place http://www.squirrelnutrition.com/mange-treatment-in-squirrels.html

LOL! He's making a fortune! I used to get the huge tubes full, which would do about a million squirrels for $1.99 online for my horse... That is fine.

LSardou
12-06-2014, 11:47 AM
I just got back from my Vets with one small tube of Revolution. She gave me a sample tube which is for puppies/kittens up to 5lbs. This is a single dose vial 15ml 0.25 ml (60mg/ml)

CritterMom
12-06-2014, 12:03 PM
1-2 drops on back of neck and it must get on the skin to be absorbed. :thumbsup

LSardou
12-06-2014, 02:07 PM
I got it on her! How long does it take for it to start working? Should she stop scratching in a few hours or so?

Thanks again.

LSardou
12-07-2014, 01:51 PM
I got it on her! How long does it take for it to start working? Should she stop scratching in a few hours or so?

Thanks again.

It has been 24hours since I applied the Revolution to Missy. She is still scratching. How long does it take before things start working?