PDA

View Full Version : Raising first squirrels.

Briveigh
11-29-2014, 12:59 PM
My husband has a part time business cutting trees. Six weeks ago, he was cutting a tree down for a couple, and had been lowering the hunks down. When he was cutting on the ground, he heard an animal screaming. He looked, and he had cut right through a squirrels nest. He had never seen the hole, he was always on the back side. I hate to admit, but one didn't make it through to that point. He called me and asked if I wanted to try and raise them. (Knowing what I know now, the mom may have gotten them, still not sure if the property owners would have cooperated, they were having company that evening). Anyways, before he got home, I did a ton of research. When he got home, I ran out and got Esbilac, pedialyte, and could only find droppers at the time. Ended up being 3 boys he brought home. Now they are 9 weeks, and typical squirrels...lol, or as typical as they can be being raised inside without a mom.

At 3 weeks, the night they were brought home.

8 weeks old, a week ago.

SammysMom
11-29-2014, 01:32 PM
:WelcomeOh good Heavens they are too cute! Good job with them! You have come to the right place for information and we are happy to have you. Can you tell us what they are eating now? Are they still taking Esbilac and if so, how much and how often?

Briveigh
11-29-2014, 01:59 PM
Right now they are taking 15-20cc of formula twice a day. They have rodent block, and I give them various veggies, and occasional fruits. They are in my cockatoo's smaller cage, 23x35x60 (approx).

SammysMom
11-29-2014, 02:05 PM
You are doing great! Keep them on that rodent block and the healthy veggies from the list here http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?44440-Healthy-Diet-for-Pet-Squirrels
Stick around here for all the info you could ever need about squirrels! We are happy to have you with us!:grouphug

farrelli
11-30-2014, 12:40 AM
What kind of rodent block? Some are crap.

deardarlin
02-17-2015, 07:35 PM
My husband also owns a tree-cutting business and this is how I ended up with my baby squirrel, Moses!

bccowgirl89
03-25-2015, 10:50 PM
Must be the running theme on TSB if your husband cuts trees for a living you end up here!! My husband is a logger and that's how I ended up with my furry 4! They will be 8 weeks friday!