PDA

View Full Version : Baytril Dose

TxVetTech
05-06-2007, 10:50 PM
Does anyone know the dosage for Baytril?

Pam
05-06-2007, 11:00 PM
TxVetTech~ What are you needing to treat with Baytril?

TxVetTech
05-06-2007, 11:20 PM
I now work for a Veterinarian who often uses liquid amoxicillin (which is good but can cause diarrhea) or trimethsulfa elixer (not so good in my opinion) on squirrels for a variety of reasons, most often respiratory infections. The success rate is minimal at best. I was lead Technician in a practice that not only catered to dogs & cats but avians, reptiles and many types of pocket pets. We had wonderful results when using Baytril (care must be taken to not use it over a long period of time). It did not have any of the side effects seen with trimethsulfa and was much more effective than amoxi. we would use the injectable formula and mix it with either dextrose (it is bitter) or apple sauce. I must admit, we never used it on a squirrel, but i am confident that it would do much better than the amoxi or the trimeth/sulfa. I am familiar with the dosage used for the critters mentioned above and could probably extrapolate it from that but would rather get a proven dosage from those who use it, if it is even being used.

island rehabber
05-07-2007, 05:55 AM
TxVetTech, check your private messages, OK?

Critter_Queen
05-07-2007, 12:15 PM
For anyone reading this, please note that any drug ending in "cillin" should NEVER be used on squirrels or any critter in that family (chippies, fliers, etc). This is likely the reason TxVetTech's vet has had minimal success with those types of drugs.

Thanks for PMing him/her, IR! :)

Pam
05-07-2007, 08:58 PM
You can not use "cillin" drugs on rabbits.

Gabe
05-08-2007, 06:34 AM
You can not use "cillin" drugs on rabbits.

Pam, that's right. I had not heard that you cannot use 'cillins' on squirrels.:thinking

Pam
05-08-2007, 07:43 AM
Pam, that's right. I had not heard that you cannot use 'cillins' on squirrels.:thinking

Gabe in my wildlife book it does not say not to use cillins on squirrels. It just says rabbits, porcupines, beavers and woodchucks.

Critter_Queen
05-08-2007, 08:15 AM
Ok, now it's a challenge! LOL! I SWEAR I read that...do either of you have the Squirrel Handbook? Maybe that's where I got it??? I know I read that recently...I'll have to find it...:thinking

Pam
05-08-2007, 08:45 AM
Ok, now it's a challenge! LOL! I SWEAR I read that...do either of you have the Squirrel Handbook? Maybe that's where I got it??? I know I read that recently...I'll have to find it...:thinking

CQ~ You may be right...just haven't read that about squirrels.

Gabe
05-08-2007, 09:21 AM

:jump :jump :jump

Don't you just hate that? We dare you to find that info and prove us wrong.:rotfl

Critter_Queen
05-08-2007, 01:43 PM
Ok, I can't find exactly where I read that (and I can even picture the sentence in my mind, how weird is that?!?!) but I did find in the Caseys' Squirrel Rehabilitation Handbook that "Use of oral penicillins, including Amoxicillin and Clavamox are discouraged with rodents because they may cause hemorrhagic gastroenteritis. Injectable penicillins are acceptable since they do not disturb gut flora. The amino glycomide antibiotics also can cause severe hemorrhagic gastroenteritis and should be avoided at all costs. Sulphur drugs, such as Albon and Sulfamethoxozole (SMZ) are acceptable with squirrels..." and it goes on to say that Baytril shouldn't be used in very young squirrels... (page 8.4)

And, Pam, it says that when there's an abscess you should try to keep the drain area open and let it heal from the inside out... "See vet to have abscess lanced, flushed and drained. Wound may need to be soaked in warm water possibly with Epsom salts, or have warm wet compresses applied 2-3 times a day to encourage draining and healing 'from the inside out'. It is important to keep the drainage holes open as long as possible and not let a scab form over the holes. Examine the animal closely since the initial wound may be a distance from the abscess." (page 8.4-8.5)

Hope this helps clarify my urgent post above...I'm going to keep searching, though, cuz I'm just sure I read that "cillins" shouldn't be used on squirrels....

Ok, does that qualify?!?!? Do I win the dare?!?!?! :D

Secret Squirrel
05-08-2007, 01:53 PM
hemorrhagic gastroenteritis

Can you expound on this please. Symptoms related to this aliment.
I lost my boy Stew several weeks back and all I got from the vet (not my regular vet) was..."he's full of air" Stew died 16 hours later before I could get him to my regular vet. :shakehead

Critter_Queen
05-08-2007, 02:02 PM
Try going here...it talks about dogs, but I would imagine at least the symptoms would be similar.

I'll search more in my wildlife stuff later and see if I can come up with anything more...

Critter_Queen
05-08-2007, 03:15 PM
Um...guess you need the link, huh? :)

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/23311.htm

Secret Squirrel
05-08-2007, 06:57 PM
Thanks....I was hoping to find something directly related to squirrels.

TxVetTech
05-08-2007, 08:42 PM
Just a note. I have seen amoxicillin used in squirrels before and it did cause very very loose stools(1 in 3 or so),I never saw hemorragic diarrhea, but the risk of dehydration was definitely there..so the risk far out-weighes the benefit (which i did not see any real benefits-other than its occasionally easier to come by). I am aware of the contraindication of using penicillins in rabbits, hamsters, rats etc. The gut flora distruction is a life threatening condition for with them as well. The aminoglycosides mentioned above should be avoided as they are very nephrotoxic drugs (basically they can damage kidneys if you are not careful). Just thought i'd throw my two cents in (and thats all its worth):flash3