PDA

View Full Version : Can flyers have Down Syndrome?

pixiepoo
11-18-2014, 05:24 PM
I know I should probably post this in the flyer section but I feel like it will get more attention here. Is it possible for a flyer to have downs? I had never really thought about the possibility until I saw the post about greys with downs today. I don't know if I'm just searching for a reason why my Smeagol was so special but I am wondering if maybe he had some developmental issue. It would also help explain his sudden death at 4 months. He was smaller than my others, MUCH calmer/more loving, and I always thought he was a bit oddly proportioned. I attached some pics.

EDIT: Also he looks huge in the photos but he was small

CritterMom
11-18-2014, 05:36 PM
I wouldn't know specifically what to look for in a flyer. With grays, they are physically smaller, have proportionally short little legs, their heads remain rounded like a baby squirrel and they often have slightly smooshed faces. The ears always seem to be much lower on the head - almost more where a human's ears would be attached.

Healthwise, they remain babylike - some stay on formula and some eat adult food but like babies, they have difficulty thermoregulating - and need supplemental heat forever.

I cannot see any reason why a flyer or any other mammal couldn't be born this way.

He was just adorable. I am so sorry - I know he left an enormous hole...

pixiepoo
11-18-2014, 11:47 PM
Hmm. I wonder what a flyer with downs would look like then. I feel like their faces are already pretty wide. I suppose something else could have been wrong with him (developmentally). It kills me that I wasn't in the country so he could have a necropsy. Not knowing is torture!

With the heat issue, they always need to be on it? Even once they have fur and such? I have never heard of that!!!!

One thing is certain; the greys with downs add too stinkin' cute!:serene

rygel1hardt
11-19-2014, 11:32 AM
This flyer looks perfectly normal to me.