PDA

View Full Version : Bloody urine

Emmdano
11-09-2014, 03:36 PM
my squirrel Riggs had some bloody pee. What should I do? He is 5 years old and has been on a good diet and has never had any problems before. hasn't had any acorns in over a week so its not from that. I don't know what to do and I cant get ahold of Jackie who has always helped me in the past.

Mommaluvy
11-09-2014, 04:33 PM
If it is not from acorns then it is probably blood from a UTI.

BUT has your guy had any muscle injury lately? probably not but just asking cause its normal to see blood after an injury such as a bruise or even Disc injury... ( or at least that is what my vet told me )

I would be worried about what caused that UTI. Any idea? May just be a fluke. It happens.

But either way your likely going to need an antibiotic. Do you have access to a vet?

If not .. I have cipro and can mail you some if you need it. Then someone can dose for you. I can get it in the mail tomorrow if you send me your addy in PM. I will over night it IF your in an area that I can overnight to. ( course we have Veterans day..)

My vet also gave amox for this once. Cause the cipro did not clear it completely. Just adding that. Perhaps a different drug would be better.

My Vet also used metacam with the Amox to clear Basils.. I can POSSIBLY send some of that also if I can get the weight and the dosage from another TSB member. I can measure some out and send it with some extra incase of mistake or spillage... It was a once a day med.. and it smelled like Elephant dung ROFLOL.. don't ask how I know what that smells like.

Just say the word and I'll mail it. But again.. I can not dose. So wait to make sure that the more experienced TSB members agree that is what it is and you may already have the meds etc.

Emmdano
11-09-2014, 04:45 PM
now he has some dry blood pieces in his urine. He is acting normal and has no pain/discomfort that I could tell.

farrelli
11-09-2014, 07:10 PM
Can you get pic of that? Dry pieces don't make any sense.

What diet is he on?

Do you have the antibiotics? We can dose them if you give us a weight on the sq.

SammysMom
11-09-2014, 07:57 PM
Cipro (human) or Baytril (animal) are both good for UTIs. Often people take cipro for UTI so you may be able to get it from a friend or family member. You only need one pill and we can tell you how to break it down and dose it. We will need a weight on the squirrel and the strength of the pill.

Emmdano
11-09-2014, 08:13 PM
He has been eating Harlan Teklad 2014 rodent block with veggies up until a few weeks ago when I got him some Henrys blocks to try out. I
took a picture of the rag I used to wipe the blood/urine up with.

Mommaluvy
11-09-2014, 08:27 PM
Looks like bloody mucus to me .. or some sort of crystal in urine.
I am serious.. private message me your address and I will send you cipro if you do not have it. Then you can get dosage from those who can dose.

Also if you will give them the weight etc before hand.. if they can dose metcam.. I can send some also.

HRT4SQRLS
11-09-2014, 08:40 PM
Emmdano,
I live in Lithia. I have Ciprofloxacin or any other antibiotic that you need. I am on vacation this week. I will mostly be at home as I am painting my house this week. If you would like to meet somewhere this week, like maybe Brandon, I can get antibiotics to you. Let me know by PM if you are interested. Later in the day will be better for me and yes, I will be covered in paint. :tilt

HRT4SQRLS
11-09-2014, 09:00 PM
:thumbsup We'll try to link up tomorrow.

SammysMom
11-09-2014, 09:06 PM
Wow! TSB does it again! Thank you both for the terrific offers!:grouphug

Emmdano
11-10-2014, 08:52 AM
This morning at 6:30 Riggs woke up ate breakfast then urinated bloody with a few chunks of blood in it but at 8:00 he peed again and it was almost clear like normal pee.

Mommaluvy
11-10-2014, 10:45 AM
This morning at 6:30 Riggs woke up ate breakfast then urinated bloody with a few chunks of blood in it but at 8:00 he peed again and it was almost clear like normal pee.

I would still try to hook up with HRS or something. I suppose it "could" be something he ate. But like you said.. he has not had acorns.

Here is my Basils pee spot. http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?47156-Blood-in-urine&highlight=

His was more of a bloody booger. I was still stimulating him ..ESP when I saw this the first time . It had been late and was not sure of what I was seeing. THEN.. his urines were normal.. for a time.. Then he did this again. That second time I caught it and took a picture.

It did look like a pus mucus thing but it did have blood in it .

He ended up getting another round of ABX this time Amox and vet added Metcam for swelling. He had blood in his urine still but no bacteria.. we had a urinalysis done that time. http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?47430-Int-Bleeding-What-Do-you-think-Need-Help-again&highlight=

I am not saying that is what it is.. but I personally like to compare and contrast etc. If I were you I would get the meds and have them on standby at the very least. If your in Florida there is the possibility that you might be able to get a vet to look at him or rune a Urine so that you know the meds worked later.

Also good general information in that bunch of threads.. Has he had a fall of any sort recently?

Keep us posted. Hope he is on the med soon.

HRT4SQRLS
11-10-2014, 12:36 PM
Emmdano,
Your mom has the pills and she also knows that I have lost my mind. :shakehead
Good grief. My apologies to your mom. It is **** to get old and senile.

When you get the pills, you can get dosing information here. I would get dosing info for the Ciprofloxacin 500mg tablets.

I thought of something, you said this started a few weeks ago when you started him on the Henry's block. How many blocks are you giving him per day? Henry's block have concentrated minerals and vitamins and he should only get 2 blocks per day. He can have all the Harland Teklad blocks he wants. It was just a thought. If he was eating too many Henry's blocks that would be a problem as he would be over supplemented.

If he is only getting 2 per day and IF the antibiotics don't work, it would be time to see a vet. There is a vet (Dr.Lightfoot) at Blue Pearl that treats squirrels. :thumbsup

Emmdano
11-10-2014, 02:40 PM
I have the Cipro 500mg pills, I cant get Riggs to get on a scale but he is a big boy so dosing for 1lb should be ok. How much do I use for 1lb sq?

TubeDriver
11-10-2014, 02:50 PM
I have the Cipro 500mg pills, I cant get Riggs to get on a scale but he is a big boy so dosing for 1lb should be ok. How much do I use for 1lb sq?

Riggs is an adult, male eastern grey squirrel?

Emmdano
11-10-2014, 03:16 PM
yes he is 4yr old eastern grey

TubeDriver
11-10-2014, 03:22 PM
yes he is 4yr old eastern grey

I think average is ~500g. I'll send you a PM with dosing details.

Emmdano
11-11-2014, 04:44 PM
Thanks you TSB! Riggs has his meds and has had clear pee all day :dance

SammysMom
11-11-2014, 04:49 PM
:fireworksYeah:fireworks

TubeDriver
11-11-2014, 05:11 PM
:thumbsup