PDA

View Full Version : I am getting 3 Baby Bunnies

Rhapsody
11-03-2014, 12:18 PM
I am getting 3 baby bunnies in that a dog found.... their eyes are open and ears are erect,
so I am putting them them to be between 10-13 days old with out seeing them.

Here are the instructions I am following (from TSB) --any thing else I need to know?

Upon Intake:
you can use plain goats milk to hydrate and get them going

Formula:
1/2 cup Whole Goats Milk
1/2 cup KMR Formula
1.5 TBSP Colostrum or Benebac
3-5cc Heavy Cream

If you feel them and they feel cool you can give them a rice buddy.
Do NOT put them on heat, radiant heat only.

If they do not feel cool, they do not need heat.

Bedding:
Fleece

Feeding:
Eyes open - put Timothy Hay in with them right away you can also give them plain rolled oats.
Eyes closed - no solids and they need to be stimulated to go potty. (bunny pee is alarmingly dark)

Feeding amount is 10% of body weight per feeding

Be aware they will do super sucking...they suck real hard and fast...just be aware.

Feed 3 times a day initially, then after a couple days you can go to 2 times a day.

They like their formula a lot warmer than squirrels do. Almost uncomfortably warm.
--------------

:):):)

Rhapsody
11-03-2014, 01:43 PM
I found out that one of the bunnies was given a mixture of food
that included karo syrup and a raw egg.... do you think that will
cause any problems for him or will flushing his system out with
Pedialyte today work to rid his body of this junk?

...... he seems to be fine --he is jumping around and eating timothy hay.

Rhapsody
11-03-2014, 01:45 PM
PICS of the Bunnies.......... Bugs - Thumper - Roger :)

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e116/Rhapsody_1/Bunny_Figaro/BugsThumberRoger2_zps64ed9c1b.jpg (http://s38.photobucket.com/user/Rhapsody_1/media/Bunny_Figaro/BugsThumberRoger2_zps64ed9c1b.jpg.html)

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e116/Rhapsody_1/Bunny_Figaro/BugsThumberRoger_zps5df74a8b.jpg (http://s38.photobucket.com/user/Rhapsody_1/media/Bunny_Figaro/BugsThumberRoger_zps5df74a8b.jpg.html)

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e116/Rhapsody_1/Bunny_Figaro/Roger_zpsdee464e6.jpg (http://s38.photobucket.com/user/Rhapsody_1/media/Bunny_Figaro/Roger_zpsdee464e6.jpg.html)

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e116/Rhapsody_1/Bunny_Figaro/Thumber_zps749c82eb.jpg (http://s38.photobucket.com/user/Rhapsody_1/media/Bunny_Figaro/Thumber_zps749c82eb.jpg.html)

Nancy in New York
11-03-2014, 02:40 PM
Just keep bumping this thread. I have no clue about bunnies.
Did you reach out to squirrelsrule&bunniestoo?
They are adorable!

Rhapsody
11-03-2014, 02:43 PM
Just keep bumping this thread. I have no clue about bunnies.
Did you reach out to squirrelsrule&bunniestoo?
They are adorable!
No I have sent a PM to any one....... I just posted here.
The info I posted I put together from the bunny people
here on TSB and saved it to my files, but I forget who
I got it the info from now. :)

Nancy in New York
11-03-2014, 02:46 PM
No I have sent a PM to any one....... I just posted here.
The info I posted I put together from the bunny people
here on TSB and saved it to my files, but I forget who
I got it the info from now. :)

Oh yeah, that sounds like something I would do. :shakehead
I will do a quick search and see what I come up with.

Also send a pm to Squirlgirl, she is excellent.
pappy has done bunnies too.

Mommaluvy
11-03-2014, 03:47 PM
Oh my.. SO CUTE

WMB says at about 14 days rolled oats, Timothy hay etc.. may not be interested in nursing past 12 days.

Offer it once a day with a shallow dish. They may not be interested in it though. Field greens too with the root ball ( clover, wheat rye ,golden rod)

Probiotics probiotics probiotics till release.

I am not even going to mention what they suggest feeding cause I think SRBT or someone else would be a better advice there. It has two different formulas for rabbits but none look like the one you have.

Many rabbits get the runs when weaning and can require meds ( metro and enrofloxcin given together )

and don't forget they do eat their night feces.

Its been years since I had a bunny ( wild) I can not remember the formula we used to use. I had good success with them back then though.

( Edit.. actually on further inspection the formula is alittle like yours above. KMA Colostrum etc But Still I would use what ever the people here suggest as we know it works)

Rhapsody
11-03-2014, 06:59 PM
WMB says at about 14 days rolled oats, Timothy hay etc.. may not be interested in nursing past 12 days.

Offer it once a day with a shallow dish. They may not be interested in it though.
Field greens too with the root ball ( clover, wheat rye ,golden rod)

Probiotics probiotics probiotics till release.
Are you saying baby bunnies no longer need to be feed KMR formula after 2 weeks old?
I already have timothy hay, rolled oats and fresh water in the cage with them. :)

Do you mix their probiotics powder in water and give it to them via a syringe
if they are no longer drinking their formula? Thank you.

pixiepoo
11-03-2014, 07:13 PM
I fed mine 32/40 and they were nice and plump. For babies I was told that you want to feed alfalfa hay. It is higher in calcium (plus my guys preferred it). I did just the 2 feedings a day and my guys bounced back well. At that age they may lick the formula from the syringe as opposed to latching. Magma had experience with lots of bunnies I believe so he could also help :) so cute! Love babies! Too dang cute!

kris
11-03-2014, 07:14 PM
I'm no expert on bunnies, but did successfully raise & release 2. Dogs brought them home w/ eyes closed. I gave KMR until TSB helped me find a better formula. Goats milk, cream & yogurt. Once their eyes opened I started to introduce some greens. My research said they need bacteria from Mom for proper intestinal health, cecotrophes are the answer. They are different from Mom's pellet poo and look different. I found a person that had domesticated rabbits and obtained some of this special poo. Sounds gross, but I made a slurry and washed their greens in it. I never had any lose stools. I did this for about three days. I fed them greens from the yard supplemented w/ dandelion greens, carrots & herb mix from Whole Foods. They still got their formula, as much as they wanted 2 time per day after they started eating greens. I never had luck w/ Timothy hay (mine was store bought - so who knows). One thing I can say, rabbits are very skittish creatures. Leave them alone as much a possible in a quiet room, touch them as little as possible. Stress is not good for them. Good luck!!

Mommaluvy
11-03-2014, 07:23 PM
Are you saying baby bunnies no longer need to be feed KMR formula after 2 weeks old?
I already have timothy hay, rolled oats and fresh water in the cage with them. :)

Do you mix their probiotics powder in water and give it to them via a syringe
if they are no longer drinking their formula? Thank you.

That is what Wild Mammal babies the first 48 hours and beyond seemed to say. And I was just as confused as you as to how to get the probiotics in them if they are not taking formula. :dunno

Rhapsody
11-03-2014, 07:54 PM
My research said they need bacteria from Mom for proper intestinal health, cecotrophes are the answer.
They are different from Mom's pellet poo and look different. I found a person that had domesticated rabbits and obtained some of this special poo.
I have a pet bunny and I am waiting for him to go poo tonight so I can obtain some
of his yummy special grape looking poops from him, them into their formula it goes.

:thumbsup :) :thumbsup

Mommaluvy
11-03-2014, 08:55 PM
I have a pet bunny and I am waiting for him to go poo tonight so I can obtain some
of his yummy special grape looking poops from him, them into their formula it goes.

:thumbsup :) :thumbsup

Don't freeze the slurry.. And it's only good in the fridge for 24 hours...

Oh the things we keep in our fridges ROFLOL

magna
11-04-2014, 10:54 AM
At the babies current size they do not need cecotropes (night poop). They get the needed nutrients for their stomachs from mom when they are nursing within the first few days. They love clover at that age and cilantro, ramein lettuce is good for them. We have four now about that size, eating purina showrabbit, kale, carrots etc. They look like cotton tails but without the blaze on their face that would put them around 18-21 days. Their ears look to tall to be marsh bunz but the coloring is about right. Here is a link to a great article on bunz. www.2ndchance.info/bunnies.htm everything you ever wanted to know and then some!!! We use Meyenburg condensed goats milk straight from the can with just enough water to rinse out the can added. We don't add anything other than maybe a capsule of probiotics or three to four times we may add cecotropes from our domestics within the first four to five days. Keep us posted we love the little guys.

Rhapsody
11-04-2014, 12:13 PM
At the babies current size they do not need cecotropes (night poop). They get the needed nutrients for their stomachs from mom when they are nursing within the first few days. They love clover at that age and cilantro, ramein lettuce is good for them. We have four now about that size, eating purina showrabbit, kale, carrots etc. They look like cotton tails but without the blaze on their face that would put them around 18-21 days. Their ears look to tall to be marsh bunz but the coloring is about right. Here is a link to a great article on bunz. www.2ndchance.info/bunnies.htm everything you ever wanted to know and then some!!! We use Meyenburg condensed goats milk straight from the can with just enough water to rinse out the can added. We don't add anything other than maybe a capsule of probiotics or three to four times we may add cecotropes from our domestics within the first four to five days. Keep us posted we love the little guys.

Thank you very much...... the info you gave were some of things I was
thinking about my self and you posting it confirmed my thoughts. :)

Rhapsody
11-14-2014, 12:14 PM
The baby bunnies are doing good.... growing and eating like the little champs they are.
I have one question --I was feeding them morning and night as this seemed to be when
they came out to eat, but now they seem to be up a lot at night playing and running, so
my question is --should I be placing more food out for them to eat during their active
night hours or should I stick to their morning and night feeding routine?

magna
11-14-2014, 02:58 PM
If you are feeding pellet just plop a bowl full down once a day. If veggies, we throw some in every evening and let them feed off and on during the night. If they are all gone in the morning we may add a few more but thats all. They will drink a lot of water. They are mostly nocturnal.

Rhapsody
11-14-2014, 08:53 PM
If you are feeding pellet just plop a bowl full down once a day. If veggies, we throw some in every evening and let them feed off and on during the night. If they are all gone in the morning we may add a few more but thats all. They will drink a lot of water. They are mostly nocturnal.
Thank you... I am feeding pellets, rolled oats w/ greens.
and yes, they do love to drink their water. :)