PDA

View Full Version : How much is too much?

dalejrlvr4life
10-17-2014, 11:02 PM
I have 2 baby squirrels, they are somewhere around 12 weeks old. They eat their block good, and eat some fruits and veggies, and formula still twice a day. I have been giving them about 2 halves of a pecan a day, and 1 almond, maybe 2. But is that too much for them to have?

SammysMom
10-17-2014, 11:05 PM
:nono too many nuts... One nut per day is really probably as mich as they should have. Some more veggies or a bit of fruit would make a good snack.

dalejrlvr4life
10-17-2014, 11:10 PM
:nono too many nuts... One nut per day is really probably as mich as they should have. Some more veggies or a bit of fruit would make a good snack.

I was afraid I was giving them to much :(. Thanks for the info. This board always has the answers :). Is there an age where I can give them more? I will be holding these guys until spring, since I heard turning them out in the winter is not a good idea.

Rhapsody
10-17-2014, 11:18 PM
If they have eaten all their food for the day and they are up late with me
I often give me rehab babies an extra almond or hazelnut to eat. :)

dalejrlvr4life
10-17-2014, 11:38 PM
Thanks for the info. One more question though, what about raisins? Is it alright to give them to them? I try to give them a variety of things to chose to eat from and see what they like to eat the most. They are currently on a pretty good schedule (well I hope anyways), eating formula in the morning, and at night, and I give them a variety of fruits and veggies in the afternoon, and leave block there for them all day.

SammysMom
10-17-2014, 11:55 PM
Raisins are quite high in sugar so are best to avoid. As for nuts and overwintering, best to keep them to a minimum so as not to create a situation where they decide they want nuts and not eat their block. Are they actually consuming blocks?

dalejrlvr4life
10-18-2014, 12:11 AM
Raisins are quite high in sugar so are best to avoid. As for nuts and overwintering, best to keep them to a minimum so as not to create a situation where they decide they want nuts and not eat their block. Are they actually consuming blocks?

Yes, they eat it pretty well from what I can tell (they store a lot too). They are absolute pigs with just about anything though. As far as the nuts go, I give then to them after feeding, and use it to trick them back into their cage. I usually keep them out for at least 2 hours a day, sometime more so they can run around and terrorize lol. But they know when I'm ready for them to go in the cage that that nut is coming, so they will usually run to it.

SammysMom
10-18-2014, 12:23 AM
Ah yes...the lure of the beloved pecan...:rofl4 i use pieces of them too. More bang for my buck so to speak.:grin3