PDA

View Full Version : Pinky Flyers advice and input

cphilips
10-17-2014, 06:48 PM
Hi everyone!

We got 3 pinky flying squirrels weighing 3-4 grams (yikes!) into our rehab. center last week. I foster all the baby mice and can successfully raise a 2 gram hairless mouse, so they were sent with me as their best option.

I wasn't optimistic but one pulled through...Now I need some help on how to keep a pinky flying squirrel going strong!

I started them on FV 32/40. Two presented unmoving milk lines and passed in the first 2 days. The survivor I sent through a long dilution onto Goat's Milk Esbilac.

She started gaining, digesting, dropping milk lines, seems to be thriving. She's now lived/ grown for 1 week. I realize I may still lose her, simply because she's such a long shot, but I'd like to hear from anyone who's raised pinky flyers on what I don't know... that I need to know.

Specifically, I'm very worried about her GI, since she barely made it through the FV 32/40 episode.

1. Benecbac? go for it or not.
2. Anyone used lactulose? on any pink squirrels?
3. What is a normal poop amount for tiny flying squirrels?
4. Are they normally fussy pants? She really, really complains when I stimulate. It also takes a long time before I get anything.

I feel like there's a problem. I can really see a lot of formula in the intestines, more than would be normal for other pink things I've raised. It's in the attached picture. She's not pooping beautifully. I tried cisapride and ranitidine and got a poop, but it makes me nervous to mess too much without knowing more of what I'm aiming for.

What do you think guys? What protocols have you used to successfully raise a pinky flying squirrel?

THANKS! Casey

CritterMom
10-17-2014, 07:55 PM
It is a lot more difficult now that there are problems with the Fox Valley 32/40 which you have already run into.

Both the regular powdered Esbilac for puppies that now advertises that it has probiotics in it OR the POWDERED goats milk formula can for the beginning of the formula. The digestion issues are caused by the protein source in the 32/40. The powdered puppy and the powdered GME has a more easily broken down protein in it. The GME in the can does NOT have this protein - it has the same thing that the 32/40 has, and the little thing may still be struggling because you have changed to a new formula that has the same issues as the old. So, powdered ONLY.

They need a LOT more fat than the gray squirrels and the poppy formula alone won't do it. I would prefer to see you gradually add between 1/4 and 1/2 a art each of full fat yogurt and heavy whipping cream to your existing formula. Do it gradually over several days. Once that is working, then begin to phase in some of the other Fox Valley - the 20/50. Ultimately you will end up feeding half esbilac / half FV 20-50 with the cream and yogurt added.

Make all diet changes very gradually - slower is better.

You might want to give this little one some additional hydration in the form of either plain water or weak sugar water (1 teaspoon sugar in cup of water) in between feedings. It may help with the poop problems.

Anne
10-17-2014, 08:04 PM
New formula mix for flyer pups:

Mix 50% and 50% Goat Milk powder with Fox Valley 32/40 Formula mixed as usual 1 powder to 2 parts very hot water.
Be sure to add the Cream in after you have the Goats milk/FV mixed up well. Mix with a small whisk or a fork. When adding the Cream at the same time, stir in gently or you will make butter. Full fat yogurt can be added with the cream. Feed about every 3 to 4hrs.

They usually eat 0.5cc to .10ccs as very young pups (pinkies). That is when you start stretching the time out longer. By that time you will have them on full strength FV 32/40. Feed about every 3 to 4hrs. They are usually 3 weeks old at that time. Eyes open near the 4 week old age and they can be fed every 5 to 6 hours on straight FV.
You normally will see a gain of a half gram each day for a few more days, then go to one gram each day.Flyer pups do not poop a great amount for the first 2 weeks, but should produce a good amount of urine. They are difficult to get started going. Also they digest slowly and will have a milk line from side to side low in the abdomen, formula will also appear in the bowels.

Flyers are very difficult, they need longer time between feedings. If they appear dehydrated give 0.05 ccs of sugar water half way to next feeding.
You can call me anytime.
Anne Miller
(904)400-1203.
Hang in there you're doing good :grin2:blowkissThey aren't great starving good eating mice/rat babies, just near in tiny size!

Anne
10-17-2014, 08:10 PM
Oh! And yes-little flyers are jabberjaws, Lol! They talk almost constantly!

cphilips
10-17-2014, 11:31 PM
I am using the GME powder, thank goodness... And it's definitely being digested! But you both are right, i'm having a hard time keeping up with the calories now that the guts are moving. At first I couldn't get her to eat anything, when the 32/40 was just sitting there in her belly. Now she's always ready to eat and i'm getting complained at for slow service!

I've used FV ultraboost to supplement the mouse formula. Is there any reason to use whipping cream over ultraboost, or vice versa?

I've been SubQ- ing 3 times a day to keep up hydration, I think i'll switch to adding more oral fluids in between. We use mostly pedialyte, but you both recommended sugar water. Will pedialyte do the same, or is the difference pretty important?

I'm really glad to be in touch! I definitely needed some support.She is way different from the mice, but does require the same sort of sleep sacrifice... But who can say no to a little patagium!

Anne
10-18-2014, 08:02 AM
Ultra Boost is great, just some people don't have it available. As for the pedialyte, just too many unneeded additives. After a very short time the salt becomes counter productive and starts to dehydrate. Artificial coloring and flavors in mix-animals (humans included) don't need a bunch of chemicals dumped into their bodies.
I'd stop the Sub-q fluids, it is so difficult to check a pinkie flyer for dehydration and oral fluids are always best. Dilute every other or every third feeding with a tinge more water. She needs all the calories she can get.