PDA

View Full Version : Help hurt chipmunk

NaturesGift
05-04-2007, 09:48 AM
Our cat got it this morning it has bite marks on its neck. I put some peroxide on it . It is not bleeding alot. The lil guy is up and aware. Is he going to be ok. ??? should I put him back outside in safty or keep him till it heals. ? He is not tame. ... He bit my friend who saved him. I have him in a ferrot (sp) carier. in our hutch to kind of keep him dark but ventilated and away from small hands.

Critter_Queen
05-04-2007, 09:51 AM
Our cat got it this morning it has bite marks on its neck. I put some peroxide on it . It is not bleeding alot. The lil guy is up and aware. Is he going to be ok. ??? should I put him back outside in safty or keep him till it heals. ? He is not tame. ... He bit my friend who saved him. I have him in a ferrot (sp) carier. in our hutch to kind of keep him dark but ventilated and away from small hands.

He has to be treated with antibiotics if it's a cat bite. He will likely die without them. Cat saliva is so deadly to animals...

Can you get in touch with a vet that could help you?

He needs the drugs started asap.

Secret Squirrel
05-04-2007, 10:01 AM
I agree with Critterqueen. Antibiotic asap!!!!

NaturesGift
05-04-2007, 10:01 AM
No I do not have a vet and the nearest Rehab is 3-4 hours away. I went through those loops last year with My baby squirrels and My baby fawn. Missouri conservation says just let nature take its coarse. No vets here specialize in this. What kind of antibiodic... I have a few vet grade antibiodics. I have Doxycline Hyclate tablets USP and I have bird antibiodics.Sulfadimetghoxine

Thats what I told my mom about te cat spit :(

Buddy'sMom
05-04-2007, 10:09 AM
Poor chipmunk. I applaud you for wanting to do the right thing. :thumbsup Hope it turns out OK for chippie. :)

Critter_Queen
05-04-2007, 10:17 AM
No I do not have a vet and the nearest Rehab is 3-4 hours away. I went through those loops last year with My baby squirrels and My baby fawn. Missouri conservation says just let nature take its coarse. No vets here specialize in this. What kind of antibiodic... I have a few vet grade antibiodics. I have Doxycline Hyclate tablets USP and I have bird antibiodics.Sulfadimetghoxine

Thats what I told my mom about te cat spit :(

I don't have my references here at work to know if either of those would work. Maybe Pam will happen across this thread and be able to get her hubby's input before I can get any info for you when I run home at noon today...Do you know how many mg/cc the sulfa drug is? How many mgs are the tablets? What's USP? :)

NaturesGift
05-04-2007, 10:37 AM
I got the sulfa antibiodic when I couldnt get baytril for my baby pigeons (if you remember) It a liquid you feed in replacement of wate for 5 days. its 15 mg per fluid ounce.

NaturesGift
05-04-2007, 10:39 AM
I have no clue what USP is its just what it says on the bottle. :dono I can tell already my day is going to be a doozy. thankgoodness I am done work til sunday morning :)

Critter_Queen
05-04-2007, 11:05 AM
I'll be PMing you momentarily. :thumbsup Please check it and respond.

NaturesGift
05-04-2007, 12:06 PM
ok!

NaturesGift
05-04-2007, 07:12 PM
What should I feed him so far he has only taken some gatorade. TY new to the chipmunk thing..used to squirrels. :)

NaturesGift
05-05-2007, 10:48 AM
NVM I was up late watching him as he passed last night. Upon looking his body over. he had way more injuries than I thought. His leg has a gash..some holes on his side. It was hard to tell on a freaking chipmunk when I was holding him after the cat had him. I think I would have scared him to death (heart burst) if i had picked him up to give him antibiodics. But I still would have done it if I had the right amount to give him. I feel like I should have done more but I was sooo limited ... well thanks all I will put a pic I took of him in the all squirrels go to heaven after I upload his pics. .... I had named him Scrat. He was the same chipmunk that had run up my dads freinds pants a couple days ago. I am fresh out of tears. and my eyes are red.

Pam
05-05-2007, 11:09 AM
I'm so sorry NaturesGift....you did your best! He knew he was loved and safe in your hands.

:Love_Icon RIP Scrat :Love_Icon

Buddy'sMom
05-05-2007, 12:00 PM
Oh! So very sorry to hear about Scrat, NaturesGift. :Love_Icon You did what you could -- you were there for him, so he died comfy, safe and loved. Even if you had the antibiotics --- it doesn't sound like that would have been enough to save him. He's free of pain and fear now. I hope you can find peace in that and in knowing that you were there for him. :grouphug :Love_Icon :grouphug [:) don't worry about being out of tears -- I've cried some for you :) ]

Critter_Queen
05-05-2007, 06:06 PM
Oh NG, I'm so sorry he didn't make it. Sounds like his injuries were so bad it would have been a miracle if he'd have survived no matter what you did. :grouphug It's hard to watch them leave this earth...

NaturesGift
05-05-2007, 11:01 PM
Thanks everyoine for your words of comfort and encouragement.