PDA

View Full Version : squirrel not opening eyes

Neely
09-20-2014, 03:48 AM
Has anyone ever had a squirrel that got to 5 weeks and never opened its eyes? I have 5 squirrels and they are all around 4-6 weeks, from different litters. Four of them opened their eyes last week but my 5th squirrel didn't, I'm worried he may never open his eyes he has the same amount of teeth and is the same size as the others, hopefully he's just a late bloomer but I'm still concerned.

farrelli
09-20-2014, 04:19 AM
I've seen several on here go 6 weeks and a bit beyond.

Neely
09-20-2014, 07:28 AM
But they all eventually open their eyes?

Mommaluvy
09-20-2014, 09:59 AM
My first did not open his eyes till closer to 6 weeks. I had him as a pinky baby so I was pretty sure of his age. At 5.5 weeks a vet checked him out and said that he was not ready to open yet ( the check was for pneumonia ) and advised warm compresses. So I soaked his eyes ( do not try to force them open) with Cotton balls . He was about 6/6.5 when they did open.

Also I called Chris Clark from squirrels and more and she said she had the occasional go to 7 weeks.

Your squee is probably normal. Just a late bloomer. My next batch of pinkies opened before 4 weeks !
The late bloomer is in my profile pic. As you can see they are open now and so are the walnut shells :)

Neely
09-21-2014, 12:35 PM
He opened both of them this morning, guess I just needed to post about it on here! Lol, he'll be 7 weeks monday. Both eyes look fine.

Rhapsody
09-21-2014, 12:38 PM
I always give the average time for opening eyes to be between 4 to 6 weeks --as one size does not fit all..... and I have seen them open their eyes as early as 4 weeks old and as late as 6 weeks old down here in Florida. --Its All Good.