PDA

View Full Version : baby fell out of tree and now runs in constant circles!!

robin
04-19-2006, 12:23 AM
I'm new to the forums, and I honestly dont know much about caring for squirrles. I've been reading alot today though.

My sister-in-law found a baby squirrel that fell out of a tree today and she's kept him in a box with i think wood chips and some towels. he's adorable but she cant get him to eat or drink and when she lets him loose to see if he can even walk, he'll just go backwards and flip over sometimes, fall, and go in circles...and just repeat. sometimes he'll do dozens and dozens of circles before he falls and starts going backwards.. she has no idea how to care for him obviously so i'm looking for somewhere to take him in but I cant find anywhere in wichita kansas. but is there something mentally wrong with him? or is he in desperate need of medical attention? please help! we're both so worried about him!!!

muffinsquirrel
04-19-2006, 12:48 AM
He probably needs to see a vet. Also, a vet might be able to tell you who the closest rehabber is - or the Humane Society should know. Meanwhile, keep him warm by putting his box half on a heating pad turned on 'low'.(Just put half the box on the heating pad so that he can move away from the heat if he wants to.) Take out the towel and use an old tee shirt or a piece of fleece for his bedding - their toenails can get caught in the loops on towels. If he is old enough to run around, he may be hard to feed - put a few pieces of peeled apple in for him, and a few pecan halves. If you give him any formula, get Esbilac Puppy Replacement - do not use cow's milk. Feed him VERY SLOWLY, and make sure the formula or water is warm, and that he is warm also. And be sure to get hold of a vet or the Humane Society first thing in the morning.

Good luck with him.

muffinsquirrel

Some of my best friends are squirrels

island rehabber
04-19-2006, 06:24 AM
Robin, everything muffinsquirrel said above is correct and this baby desperately needs an experienced wildlife vet. Running or walking in circles is a classic symptom of neurological damage or head trauma, from the fall he had. Honestly, he may not make it -- it is very difficult to treat. Keeping him warm and feeling safe as described will help him a great deal but he needs to be treated by a vet if he is going to have a chance. Sometimes they will come thru this trauma, but professional help is a must. Try all your local animal welfare groups and even nearby zoos to find a vet who specializes in wildlife. Good luck -- and thank you and your sister-in-law for caring about him!

island rehabber
04-19-2006, 07:55 AM
Robin, try this person in Wichita, he's a wildlife biologist:
charlesc@wp.state.ks.us (charlesc@wp.state.ks.us)
(316) 683-8069 x126

I'll see what else I can come up with for you....

muffinsquirrel
04-20-2006, 12:12 AM
Robin, how is the little one doing?

muffinsquirrel

Some of my best friends are squirrels

thundersquirrel
04-20-2006, 03:16 AM
definitely find a vet and a rehabber as soon as possible.

it's either brain damage or an inner ear infection. inner ear infections can be treated with anti-biotics, it doesn't always work but it's worth a shot. brain damage is less treatable and it his behavior continues it is likely he'll have to be euthanized.

you may have some trouble finding a vet that will take care of wildlife, but please don't just give it to a veterinarian cause they'll euthanize it for sure. look for a local rehabber, and until you find one, keep us updated, ask us questions, let us know what's going on!

thank you for caring for this squirrel. not everyone is so kind.

robin
04-20-2006, 02:55 PM
hey thanks for all the great help! i found a place but its like 45 minutes away. so its gonna be really hard to find the time to take him. i'm trying to work something out.

anyway, the squirrel is doing better i think. we keep a bottle of warm water in his box at all times so he can cuddle up to it and keep warm, he's started to eat pecans and i think the apples. but when he sits up to eat, he'll fall over but get up and try again, but he WONT let go of the pecan lol! he's so cute. as for the walking, i'm not sure...its my sister in law's mom that updated me.

i'll keep you guys updated. but my sister in laws mom doesnt want to drive 45 minutes, she would rather just let him go. me, i'd rather take him lol.. but i'm just not sure what to do yet. what do you guys think?

BuckeyeSqrl
04-20-2006, 03:02 PM
He could have neurological issues due to swelling, which can usually be helped a bit my anti-inflamatory steriods. I would take him somewhere where he has a chance to be reviewed and treated.

I raised a squirrel that did that. We ended up finding out that she was basically blind. She was kept as an education animal and started turning in circles even though she had medication. A cause of this behavior can also be racoon roundworm. She ended up passing away about 3 weeks later.

In short, it is worth taking him to get medical care and treatment.

tazsquirrel
04-22-2006, 07:41 PM
Note from Pansie's Mom....

Pansie did the same exact thing.She still runs in circles like shes trying to chase her tale.Unfortunately Panies problem is she's blind in one eye.
I let her out each day to run and play and she is starting to become more balanced.She did have anear infection and I had to keep cleaning the junk out.It's nasty to do but it will help.Check the ears to see if you see any hard objects Pansie had it all the time for about a week.I kept removing it and now it seems better.
I thought she had severe brain damage but Thank God it was her being blind that caused the confusion.Good Luck!!!!!!