PDA

View Full Version : 2 new babies/ 1 very week

Jerseyjem
04-18-2006, 10:35 PM
:dono I need help ASAP!!! For some reason Nappers is very week today, and not eatting well, he's like a newborn who can't hold his head up, he usually sqeeks when I hold him up to feed him and now when he try's to sqeek, barely a sound comes out. He seems limp and almost motionless, and his body keeps getting very cold, i bathed him with warm water to warm his body some, and wrapped him up nice and snug, and my daughter and I keep taking turns holding him, after I warmed him, he seamed to move alittle more, but there's still something wrong, is there any Rehabbers around here (Bristol CT) that can help me to help him? I don't wanna give him up, but if it means him getting better, I will surrender him to a rehabber... :dono

muffinsquirrel
04-18-2006, 11:18 PM
Hi. To warm him up, do not bathe him. Make him a 'rice buddy' - take an old clean sock, put lots of dry rice in it, leaving enough sock at the top to tie a knot in it, then zap it in the microwave about 30 seconds to get it nice and warm. (If you get it too warm, wrap it in a tee shirt or something.) Put it in his cage next to him so he can snuggle up to it, and put a piece of fleece over him and the rice. Just make sure he can move away from it if he wants to. If you don't have any rice around, fill a jar with real warm water, put lid on tightly, wrap in cloth, and put it next to him.

Is he peeing and pooping OK? Hold him up to your ear and listen to him breathe - it should be silent - if you hear a rattle or wheeze or anything, he may have pneumonia and will need to see a vet for antibiotics. Is he eating OK?

Sometimes there is something wrong with a squirrel pup related to injuries he may have received from whatever situation he was rescued from. A lot of time the injuries are internal and not noticable. In a case like that, there may be nothing you can do for him.

Just do the best you can for him, and what is to be will be. Good luck to you and him both.

muffinsquirrel

Some of my best friends are squirrels.

Jerseyjem
04-19-2006, 12:29 AM
Thanx for the info, and yes he is peeing and pooing, not eatting well though, he keeps spitting it out. I hope he's better in the morn, I let you know. Have a good night... Jersey :shakehead

Momma Squirrel
04-19-2006, 09:38 AM
Jerseyjem, how is nappers doing today? Hope the night went well and he is feeling better today??

Jerseyjem
04-19-2006, 09:17 PM
Hey, Bad news, I woke up this morning to find Nappers went to his resting place, I guess it was meant to be. my daughter and I were up half the night with him, but I guess when it's their time to go, no matter what we do, nothing will change the outcome. But thank you for all your help. I as upset all day today and really didn't feel like comming on, but I owe you guys that much, that I should keep you informed, Please prey for us as I have been for all of you. Good luck and God Bless........ Jersey