PDA

View Full Version : Can you tell me what this is???

Rieriejones
09-08-2014, 05:09 PM
I've noticed these spots on my baby squirrel. He is around 4 weeks old. I noticed the one on his shoulder first and now he has one on his tail. What is this???

farrelli
09-08-2014, 05:16 PM
Is it missing fur? Does he get formula on himself that isn't cleaned off?

Wht kind of formula are you giving, how much, and how often? How much does he weigh?

Mommaluvy
09-08-2014, 05:17 PM
I too am thinking forumla? or maybe dried urine/feces combo. ( don't ask me how I know that it looks like this :P )

Rieriejones
09-08-2014, 05:18 PM
His fur is there.It is not formula because I clean him often. I feed him 3cc of esibilac formula every 3 hours. He is eating normally I am not sure of the weight because I have a faulty scale but I believe around 60 grams

farrelli
09-08-2014, 05:19 PM
Esbilac with the probiotics on the label, right? Poops golden?

Rieriejones
09-08-2014, 05:20 PM
Yes to both. He gets upset when I mess with his tail.

Rhapsody
09-08-2014, 05:42 PM
I am with every one else...... the spots look like where formula has dropped and dried on his fur.
Keep an eye in the situation and let us know if any thing changes.

Mommaluvy
09-08-2014, 05:52 PM
I am sure your cleaning him up well.. but sometimes they poop and pee when we are not looking.

Just take a cotton ball or whatever and see if it comes off with water.

:)

Rieriejones
09-08-2014, 06:18 PM
I've tried multiple times to clean it and it doesn't come off

CritterMom
09-08-2014, 06:20 PM
Is it something on the fur sticking it together? Is it attached to the skin? Hard to tell from pics.

Rieriejones
09-08-2014, 06:24 PM
I believe it is attached. It almost looks flaky

Rieriejones
09-08-2014, 06:28 PM
Maybe it is trying to come out idk

Nancy in New York
09-08-2014, 06:30 PM
If you brush it with a small toothbrush will it come off?
If you comb it does it stick in the comb? If not, then it's just
different type fur I think. :dono
I know it sounds crazy.............:grin2

Rieriejones
09-08-2014, 06:31 PM
Could it be his tail bushing out?

Rieriejones
09-08-2014, 06:34 PM
The stuff on the should is trying to peel off like fur and all.

czarina
09-09-2014, 01:12 AM
I thought the one on his shoulder resembled ring worm.
But my first thought was milk or urine burn.

Mommaluvy
09-09-2014, 09:36 AM
When I got this last batch of babies they were covered in dry flakey "stuff". Stuck to their skin and stick to their fur.

It looked like when a human gets a sunburn and the skin peels. A real thin film. Only it was stuck to the fur. They were also emaciated and they were some that had rings of this stuff in the space between the bones of their tails. So it looked like their tails were banded like a coon.

Turned out the person before me was feeding and plopping them back in their container. ( she knew better but it "saved time" )

Anyhow.. I know your guy is loved and spoiled :) but this stuff .. Milk/urine what ever it is .. Took forever to get cleaned off of 6 30 gram pinky types . It took 4 people one solid hour to clean "most" of the stuff off. In hind sight I should have given them all dawn baths.

I am not saying or accusing you of a dirty baby. Not at all :)
But try getting a Cotton ball soaking wet with warm/hot water and get the spot good and wet. Then try brushing with an old toothbrush . Spots like this happen to the best if us . But that milk and or poop that the do when we are not looking sticks like GLUE.

It really looks Ike it's on top of the fur to me

Rieriejones
09-09-2014, 09:56 AM
When I got this last batch of babies they were covered in dry flakey "stuff". Stuck to their skin and stick to their fur.

It looked like when a human gets a sunburn and the skin peels. A real thin film. Only it was stuck to the fur. They were also emaciated and they were some that had rings of this stuff in the space between the bones of their tails. So it looked like their tails were banded like a coon.

Turned out the person before me was feeding and plopping them back in their container. ( she knew better but it "saved time" )

Anyhow.. I know your guy is loved and spoiled :) but this stuff .. Milk/urine what ever it is .. Took forever to get cleaned off of 6 30 gram pinky types . It took 4 people one solid hour to clean "most" of the stuff off. In hind sight I should have given them all dawn baths.

I am not saying or accusing you of a dirty baby. Not at all :)
But try getting a Cotton ball soaking wet with warm/hot water and get the spot good and wet. Then try brushing with an old toothbrush . Spots like this happen to the best if us . But that milk and or poop that the do when we are not looking sticks like GLUE.

It really looks Ike it's on top of the fur to me

This top patch on his shoulder has basically peeled of revealing the unharmed skin. Maybe sunburn? I've tried to get it off his tail with a baby wipe but I have had no luck

Mommaluvy
09-09-2014, 11:06 AM
This top patch on his shoulder has basically peeled of revealing the unharmed skin. Maybe sunburn? I've tried to get it off his tail with a baby wipe but I have had no luck

It took the fur with it when it came off?!

Rieriejones
09-09-2014, 11:59 AM
Yes just on the shoulder. I haven't messed with the tail. But when it came off the shoulder he didn't cry or anything, it was like it didn't hurt him. The skin is perfectly fine just no fur.

pixiepoo
09-09-2014, 01:06 PM
it looks like ringworm to me. I often got baby kittens who had it on their tails just like that and the skin/hair came off in chunks revealing bare skin (also didn't seem to hurt them when it came off). We always used Lamisil or lime dip on them but I don't know about how safe that would be on a squirrel....

Rieriejones
09-09-2014, 01:37 PM
I don't have ringworm so I don't believe it is that. I handle him everyday .

pixiepoo
09-09-2014, 06:31 PM
I only got ringworm once and I had at least 20 kittens pass through with it. It may not have been ringworm (I never had a culture done) but the antifungals cleared it right up! If it isn't really bothering your little one I wouldn't worry about it too much. :)

sid'smommy
09-10-2014, 09:29 PM
Its a fungal infection but not necessarily ringworm. More like athletes foot kinda thing. Just use OTC antifungal cream... should clear it up. If the skin starts to look red/raw, and antibiotic ointment also.. to prevent bacterial infection. :tilt

Mommaluvy
09-10-2014, 10:05 PM
How's the tail looking ?

How is the baby today ?

Rieriejones
09-10-2014, 10:14 PM
Tail looks that same but he is still very active . Also very good appetite.

island rehabber
09-11-2014, 07:19 AM
FYI: Desitin powder, for athlete's foot, is safe and effective on baby squirrels with ringworm. :)

Mommaluvy
10-01-2014, 12:54 PM
Did this ever go away? Get any better?

island rehabber
10-01-2014, 01:03 PM
Did this ever go away? Get any better?

If you treat it with Desitin, yes. If you leave it alone it gets worse.

Mommaluvy
10-01-2014, 01:08 PM
If you treat it with Desitin, yes. If you leave it alone it gets worse.

:grin3
I was just curious for an update.

redwuff
10-01-2014, 02:29 PM
His fur is there.It is not formula because I clean him often. I feed him 3cc of esibilac formula every 3 hours. He is eating normally I am not sure of the weight because I have a faulty scale but I believe around 60 grams

It would be extremely important to get a good scale so you are not guessing at his wt. It will be important to know his wt if he needs meds, but he should be weighed once a day to know how much to feed him and to know if he is gaining or losing.