PDA

View Full Version : Future owner of baby flying squirrels! Help?

sweetness8t5
04-30-2007, 01:54 AM
HI!
New to the forum!

I'm getting some baby flying squirrels soon, 2 of them...

Haven't had experience with them, but I'm a fast learner, especially when it comes to animals.
I currently have a 4 month puppy.

Now, are there specific things that I need to know?
I briefly read that they can escape from their cages and such, is that something I need to worry about.
Ive done some research on feeding and lifestyle and such, but that doesn't compare for Experience Knowledge.

Any opinions or experience are welcomed!!!!
:thankyou

island rehabber
04-30-2007, 06:42 AM
HI!
New to the forum!

I'm getting some baby flying squirrels soon, 2 of them...

Haven't had experience with them, but I'm a fast learner, especially when it comes to animals.
I currently have a 4 month puppy.

Now, are there specific things that I need to know?
I briefly read that they can escape from their cages and such, is that something I need to worry about.
Ive done some research on feeding and lifestyle and such, but that doesn't compare for Experience Knowledge.

Any opinions or experience are welcomed!!!!
:thankyou

:Welcome to The Squirrel Board! I suggest you first chech the posts under "Breed Specific - Flying Squirrels" here...there are so many threads about the do's and don't's of raising a happy flyer..... and there are several people here on TSB who are very experienced with flyers, especially the two people who founded The Squirrel Board (Momma Squirrel & Squerly). Good luck! :peace

Momma Squirrel
04-30-2007, 07:44 AM
:Welcome TSB and congratulations on your 2 new flyers. Where will you be getting them from? What kind of nest/housing arrangements do you have? Sorry for all the questions. Not an educated person on flyers just had one for 13 years :crazy

Few pointers, squirrel proof the room, electrical cords, be very careful when they are out that you walk softly and do not slam or shut doors and drawers hard and fast. These little guys can get anywhere and they will, before you know it they have moved from one side of the room to the other. Also if there is anyway they can get into a bathroom, please please make sure the toilet lid stays closed. Oh yeah there is also a very good wheel, I believe it is called the Stealth Wheel, they love to run on their wheels but you have to be very careful their little tails don't get caught in them. There is lots of good info here and even flyer breeders so check out the board and you will have a world of info on raising them.

Alot of just common sense and lots of patients, remember they are night time critters and love attention, or at least ours did.

You will certainly have a blast with them and they will bring you many many hours, days and hopefully years of laughter and joy.

Let us know when you receive them and we will want pictures :crazy

Also remember no matter how cute you might think it is, please don't let the puppy or any other animal play with them, one playful nip and they will be gone.

Enjoy TSB :D

I keep thinking of things, calcium is very important to flyers, when checking out the Flyer section of the board please read that part carefully.

TexanSquirrel
04-30-2007, 02:21 PM
:Welcome

darrakm
04-30-2007, 03:32 PM
You can also do research in the education section on the National Flying Squirrel Association message board.
http://www.nfsa.us/phpBB2/index.php
People on this baord and NFSA will be more than happy to answer your questions. But I really do advise going to that education forum. It wil answer a lot of your questions too.
And, I do NOT mean this in any kind of insulting way but, why did you not do research before you made arrangements to get the flyers?