PDA

View Full Version : Squirrel momma for the 2nd time with a few questions.

jensigg
08-31-2014, 10:04 AM
Hello all!! I'm glad to be back and have a lump in my throat while posting. Lol. My beloved Chipetta died at 1.5 years and this is my first time back to the board since that, it's bittersweet. I have been blessed with a 2nd baby squirrel to care for. Wrigley is approx. 4-5 weeks old, his eyes are opening this very minute. Fox Valley formula was ordered but due to the holiday I'm looking at a Tuesday delivery & it's Esbiliac for now. He is going well but we haven't had a BM since Thursday around midnight. I've stimulated, soaked, hydrated, & repeat... I just gave .06cc of apple juice. Any recommendations? He is rather twitchy this morning but my thought is all his senses are awakening. This is the first day he has been rather alert and by far the most twitchy.. He urinates great!! Any suggestions on the no poop issue? Thanks all. I'm overwhelmed with love and joy at my second chance with Wrigley. He has won all of our affections and love from first sight.

ALittleNutty
08-31-2014, 10:19 AM
So sorry for your loss of Chipette but congrats on the new baby.

You might want to try a 3:1 ratio of water to formula for just a bit with re-hydrating using sugar water in between feedings. Hopefully the apple juice will help too!

Since it's been a while you might not know that there have been issues with the FV 32/40 with the neonates but since this one is older it might not be an issue. Something changed in the FV formula and it cements in pinkies systems. Many are using a mix of 50/50 FV and the new Esbilac with pro-biotics. The new can has a blue band right at the top just below the lid.

CritterMom
08-31-2014, 10:22 AM
If he is not bloated, he probably hasn't eaten enough to be processing anything out the other end yet!

A note about formulas since you have been away. There are now some issues with using Fox Valley straight, and the best results are using the esbilac (the new can of powder that has pre and probiotics) for 50% of the formula and FV for the other 50%. They did a flip flop on us with formula - esbilac cleaned up their act and FV has been having problems...

Edit: LOL - talk about like minds!

jensigg
08-31-2014, 10:52 AM
He has had many successful poops. His bum is sticking out a bit and he doesn't care for me to massage it. I think I can feel the poop when massaging. He is most uncomfortable. How often on the apple juice or maybe Karo? Dosages? Thank you!!

ALittleNutty
08-31-2014, 10:53 AM
If he is not bloated, he probably hasn't eaten enough to be processing anything out the other end yet!

A note about formulas since you have been away. There are now some issues with using Fox Valley straight, and the best results are using the esbilac (the new can of powder that has pre and probiotics) for 50% of the formula and FV for the other 50%. They did a flip flop on us with formula - esbilac cleaned up their act and FV has been having problems...

Edit: LOL - talk about like minds!

:grin3

Mommaluvy
08-31-2014, 12:58 PM
Hmm do you have a picture of his bum sticking out?

Is there a possibility that he is relieving himself in his box?

Is his tummy hard or soft?

jensigg
09-01-2014, 02:13 PM
WE HAVE POOP!!!! He's pooped after each feeding rather effortlessly. Thank heavens. Should I be concerned with parasites? His poop has a small amount of what looks like mucous on it. It's not moving but made me wonder..

ALittleNutty
09-01-2014, 02:24 PM
WE HAVE POOP!!!! He's pooped after each feeding rather effortlessly. Thank heavens. Should I be concerned with parasites? His poop has a small amount of what looks like mucous on it. It's not moving but made me wonder..

:poop:poop:poop Not sure about the parasites. Hopefully someone with more experience with that will chime in soon.